Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

With only a couple weeks before opening day the fishing fever has me firmly in its grasp. I am already making plans for opening day and cant wait!

What is everyone planning on doing for the 1st of April, where are you off to and what are you going to be using?

I am off to the Cornwallis river for some early season browns. Going to be tossing some micro grubs and small crankbaits.

Im going to be trying Suffix 832 braid for the first time - anyone used this before, thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
245 Posts
Already booked opening weekend off from work,can't wait still torn what to do, go to my regular honey hole outside hfx or hit the the Cornwallis for some browns oh what to do. got all kinds of new gear to try out

·
Registered
173 Posts
Camping out March 31.same as every year. only missed 1 in the last 10 years.
nice campfire, a few tunes on the guitar, a couple wets.
wake up and head for the water at the very first glimpse of light
tis "brookie" day in nova scotia

Good luck and tight lines all.

Lake Echo area

"RIVER WATCH ON PATROL"

·
Registered
227 Posts
taking the day off and will probably try my usual spot first gonna fish some mickey fin variations then wooly bugger and if nothing takes i am gonna try the dropper with a dry and a nymph never tried it before then when the suckers get off work may head somewhere else. zepp thats awesome way to do it never thought of camping out the night before opening day guaranteed good spots ilike it may have to do one of these years good luck every one on opening day cheers

mat

·
Registered
575 Posts
Camping out March 31.same as every year. only missed 1 in the last 10 years.
I've only ever camped on March 31 once or twice, but in the past 8 years (since I was 12) I've always gone fishing at sun-up. From the time I was 12-18 I always skipped school april 1, and then 18,19,20 I managed to get it off of work (by working really hard march 29 30 31 haha)

I'm unemployed right now, and my EI just unexpectedly got canceled. So now I need to find a job pretty quickly, and I hate having to start a job and say "By the way I need next friday off" Oh well it has to be done haha, I think I'll probably go camping this March 31, sounds like a pretty good tradition I might need to copycat!

·
Banned
585 Posts
Took April 1st off...for real!

Can't wait, not sure if it's the local still waters in the morning with the usual suspects, and then the boat in the afternoon at any local open water. This 'begger won't be a chooser' on that day, I'll take it as it comes, as it's a perfect setup for a long weekend. LOL Something to think about if you have the option to take Friday, April 1st off.....Sorry bosses!! LOL

Trav

·
Registered
575 Posts
Took April 1st off...for real!

Can't wait, not sure if it's the local still waters in the morning with the usual suspects, and then the boat in the afternoon at any local open water. This 'begger won't be a chooser' on that day, I'll take it as it comes, as it's a perfect setup for a long weekend. LOL Something to think about if you have the option to take Friday, April 1st off.....Sorry bosses!! LOL

Trav
Haha last year for me I got the Thursday April 1 off, then had good friday off, then got monday off in lieu of easter sunday. So 5 day fishing weekend! Was awesome!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hoping I can get some time off April 1st. If so, heck even if I gotta go out on the way back from work, I'll probly hit up a couple of my favorite little forest streams for brookies. Most likely use the fly rod as I seem to have much better success with it this early than I do with spinning tackle. Probably try a muddler minnow, always my first pick and hardly ever fails! Bead headed hares ear nymph will likely take a dip into the cold water as well.

Most years I catch SOMETHING on the first day, but not always.... as long as the line hits some area of thawed out water on the first day, I'm happy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
No, but I would give it the old college try.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll be poking around the local fishing spots with my fly rod, im not going to cheat this year so im not even gonna respool my casting rods until its time to go smallie fishing in yarmouth

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll be checking out some streams with my 4wt. Here are my opening day fly selections. Rod, fly's and waders are already in my trunk waiting to go. Yesterday I was down to a beaver pond and was watching some break water, can't wait!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'll be checking out some streams with my 4wt. Here are my opening day fly selections. Rod, fly's and waders are already in my trunk waiting to go. Yesterday I was down to a beaver pond and was watching some break water, can't wait!
I have been meaning to tell ya what a good tyer you are keep the pics coming

GF

·
Registered
806 Posts
nice Roland! I will be hitting the Cornwallis and a few spots around Dalhousie. Gray Ghosts, Stone Nymphs and Zonkers

1 - 20 of 49 Posts