Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am someone who does not own a boat so I do all my fishing from the shore. I have visited a number of lakes (Sandy Lake, Rockey Lake, Powder Mill Lake, Fish Lake, 2nd Lake and Lake Kinsac) during the spring and summer I have fished from various points from shore and the biggest bass I caught was like 11-12 inches and that seems to be a big one for me.

I have been reading the forums and have seen people talking about 'pulling out 16" all day long'. My usual day on the lake consists of catching a few small ones - last time out i caught a bass barely as big as my lure lol

Im wondering if there are less and smaller fish close to shore = or maybe im doing something wrong? Usually I have my success with my floating Rapala and a little bit with sof plastics. I havent even managed to catch a single bass with spinnerbait or my crankbait.... Any ideas or tips?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Grasshopper
Last evening we had good fishing but all the fish were close to shore - a couple of feet mostly and it was necessary to cast right up to structure. Walking or wading its hard to fish back to the shore or cover much shore for that matter. Approaching the shore on foot will also spoke the fish if they are close.
My advice wade now that the water is warm as far out as you can get and fish back to shore as far forward as you can. Put whatever right up to the weeds and your luck will soon change.
Good fishing
Paul

·
Registered
186 Posts
do yourself a favour and get some soft plastics from Fishin fever or Canadian tire/walmart. for example flukes and senkoes. cast out around structure (underwater logs,weed beds,over hangin trees, lilly pads,drop offs,rocks) let bait sit for 20 sec pull up on the rod reel in you slack and let sit for another 20 seconds. WATCH YOUR LINE! usually when i fish hits the bait you line will shoot stright out! i find it hard to explain in writeing how to rig senkoes and flukes but the boys at fishn fever would be more than happy to show you! PS i have been hearing alot of good things about sandy lake!!! wink wink!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
You watch alot of boaters and 80+%,probably are casting towards shore.
Like mentioned earlier,try to be quiet and structure is key.
Fishing for pickerel yesterday in some lily pads landed a bonus 20' smallie.
If fishing pads or thick weeds get some heavy braid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keep trying the spinner baits....it took me a while to think i was going to catch anything on it...but they do work. I caught a 27 and 26 inch last year in Kinsac(pickerel)...15 min apart from each other. I to use to walk and walk and walk the shore lines of Sack, Fall River lakes...you will get some big ones....find more access points...stop going to the same spots and try new ones.

I then got A Float tube, they are nice to cruze the shorelines too! You can fish anyones dock, boat or shore front, equals more fish and some big ones.
I now have a 12 foot jon, goes in the truck and only takes me 10 minutes to get on the same lakes you mentioned at the top of the post...yes i have money invested, but when you do some day get one...you will be very happy with sitting on the water...casting to all places..the shore line. It does able you to find the humps and bumps in lakes..where you can find some big guys!

Cheers, Jamie

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys! All some very good advice I will be trying. Actually went out last night got in some positions where i could cast back to the shore - or even along the shore. Had some good luck in terms of number caugh 6 bass in 2 hours (was using a jointed rapala) - still small ones but im sure the big ones will come. Thanks again

·
Registered
60 Posts
Grasshopper... get a bunch of big ol night crawlers a split shot go to the docks on the path on First lake cast out your bait and just relax and you'll hook a big bass.

Colin

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've caught my two biggest fish of all time fishing from shore. A 21" and 21.5" both caught in May but about 10 years apart and different lakes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I caught a 19 incher 6 feet from shore last week on my 3rd cast, just pulled over at a nice looking piece of water & chucked in the line.

James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts