Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and girls)

I am planning a visit from Glasgow (the Scottish one !) this summer (late July/early August) and I am looking for some advice.
We will be spending a week on the Bra D'Or on a boat and then maybe a chance to fish some rivers.

My questions are
1. What permits will I need and where do I get them ?
2. I would rather bring my Fly rod but how salty is the Bra D'or and will it ruin my gear ?
3. What fish are caught there and with what flies/lures/lines ?

I would really appreciate some local knowledge and would hope to return the favour one day.
Regards Allan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello Allan, hope you have a great time in New Scotland! I hope you find it compares well to the Old Scotland. I can only speak to #1 of your questions. If you are fishing in fresh water, you will need a non-resident license. This will cost you $CAD 57.84, which is about two pounds sterling, LOL. Licenses are easily obtained. You do not need any license to fish in salt or tidal water. More information can be found here:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/fish/paal190.asp

Have a great fishing experience here in Nova Scotia!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Allan, hope you have a great time in New Scotland! I hope you find it compares well to the Old Scotland. I can only speak to #1 of your questions. If you are fishing in fresh water, you will need a non-resident license. This will cost you $CAD 57.84, which is about two pounds sterling, LOL. Licenses are easily obtained. You do not need any license to fish in salt or tidal water. More information can be found here:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/fish/paal190.asp

Have a great fishing experience here in Nova Scotia!
Thanks for that.
I knew I needed a permit for fresh water but wasn't sure about the Bra d'or lakes.
Al

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bra d'or lakes are salt dominant.Ocean species flounder,mackerel and cod are the main population, along with introduced rainbow trout.Not sure if it's considered tidal water though.I'll see what I can find out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts