Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News from the Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF)

ASF is part of a coalition calling for a halt to seismic exploration and drilling in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, which could negatively affect Atlantic salmon populations. Now the David Suzuki Foundation has raised more concerns and released simulations of how the spread of oil and gas spills would affect every Atlantic province and Quebec.
http://www.asf.ca/news.php?id=602

Poaching Convictions in Newfoundland - The Salmon Preservation Association for the Waters of Newfoundland (SPAWN) website keeps readers up to date on poaching convictions in Newfoundland. Since early September there have been 19 convictions. Click on the link below to read full details
http://asf.ca/news.php?id=606

Dr. Fred Whoriskey, now settling into his new role as Executive Director of the Ocean Tracking Network at Dalhousie University in Halifax, NS, received ASF's highest conservation award in New York for his pioneering research in tracking Atlantic salmon at sea.
http://asf.ca/news.php?id=607

Fundy National Park, Fort Folly First Nation, and ASF biologists recently released adult wild Atlantic salmon into the Fundy waters as part of a gene-banking project. The project began after a 1999 survey found fewer than 250 adult salmon returned to 40 Inner Bay of Fundy rivers annually. These streams and rivers had a historical population of 40,000 salmon.
http://www.asf.ca/news.php?id=605

·
1,353 Posts
WOW! NFLD and Labrador certainly takes poaching seriously and publishes the results of good work by CO's. I guess NS cant publish much of a list or can they? I for one would like to know what results enforcement can produce. It might show what is being done and what could be done.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm with you, Perry!! Perhaps it is just me being pessimistic, but, unless MNR and DFO publish (for public consumption) yearly or monthly statistics regarding the numbers of charges laid for violations of statutes regarding all wildlife including fishes, we, the hunting and angling public, will be forced to draw the conclusion that precious little enforcement activity is taking place. If that is the case, then perhaps the threat of disarming them might prompt some action in a positive direction. Then again, perhaps we don't have any poaching activity here in Nova Scotia. Maybe we don't require any Conservation Officers. I think it's great that the enforcement folks in Newfoundland get some positive press on their activities...BRAVO!!! I'm sure that the NS Minister of Natural Resources could provide statistics and the federal Minister of Fisheries and Oceans could shed some light on our stats (or lack of them). Regards......

·
1,353 Posts
It is interesting to note that the CO's are employed by the Dept. Natural Resources and not bt the NSDF. I see CO's during hunting season on a regular basis and that is good but it would be interesting to see time spent on hunting patrols which takes place over a few months as compared with fishing which is almost year round. They seem to ck lisences on hard water but if you think about it the anglers are in the open and concentrated so you can ck a number of anglers at one time and increase contact numbers without a lot of time and resources.
I wonder what would happen if NSDF took over enforcement on inland fisheries and had the responsibilty to enforce DNR regulations?
Once the DFO office closed in Kentville the fisheries officers are a rare and endangered species in my area and I suspect in others as well.
I like your idea SM and lets see what they do in the run of a year and see if the enforcement in this Province is broke and if so what can be done to fix it.
I am in no way throwing stones at the CO's or DFO Wardens I just suspect there are bururatic and political reasons that restrict their ability to do a job that would satisfy them and us. Both the guys and gals in the field deserve better as do we. Then again I could and most likely am wrong and we have great enforcement I just would like to see results like NFLD Labrador produced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts