Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol Just had to say it, but this year the good ol' Red Devil has really surprised me and worked very well! I haven't used a Devil spoon since I was a teen (and that's not yesterday lol) and decided to give them a whirl this year, and so far I've landed a 3lbs speckled, 2 2lbs bass and a 3lbs bass and a ton of smaller fish (including a few pickerel!) all on this random little spoon... haha good to see that sometimes the classics never really go out of style

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thats 2 funny, I also brought the ol red devil out this year for the first time in a while and it surpised me as well, worked good for mackeral

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats 2 funny, I also brought the ol red devil out this year for the first time in a while and it surpised me as well, worked good for mackeral
haha mackerel really? Ok now I have to get that on the go!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I told you that the red devle lures are great. That's why there are so many imitations.
haha the WalMart "Red and White Spoons" are a classic example.. my dad gave me an old tackle box to sort and clean for him that has 2 real brand Red Devils in packages with .39c price tags on them!!! LOL One may end up slipping out.. ya never know lol

·
Registered
879 Posts
Last Saturday on panuke we were coming up empty, and then a spoon came out and the fish woke up, bugman I tied a couple of red and white streamers to try this weekend, not as nice as yours but I think they're going to work.

Greg

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Billy:
The man, I believe, was Lou Eppinger, an American taxidermist. If I remember the story correctly, it was originally called "The Osprey". After WW1, the name of the lure was changed to Eppinger's Daredevle. This was,I think, to honour the 4th (battalion,brigade??) of US Marines "The Dare Devils" who fought well at Beaulieu Wood in France. I think the spoon has actually been around since 1905 or 10. A genuine Daredevle (since about the '70s) now has a "Devil's head"logo because of the number of imitations around. Regards....

·
Banned
767 Posts
Billy:
The man, I believe, was Lou Eppinger, an American taxidermist. If I remember the story correctly, it was originally called "The Osprey". After WW1, the name of the lure was changed to Eppinger's Daredevle. This was,I think, to honour the 4th (battalion,brigade??) of US Marines "The Dare Devils" who fought well at Beaulieu Wood in France. I think the spoon has actually been around since 1905 or 10. A genuine Daredevle (since about the '70s) now has a "Devil's head"logo because of the number of imitations around. Regards....
Hi,

Haven't bought a new one in years, but have a good supply of old ones with the 'little devil' logo. However, I heard that, a few years back, religious wack-jobs in the Untied Flakes forced the removal of 'the devil' from the spoon. Don't know if that's true or not.

BTW, it and the 5 of diamonds are always great for any member of the pike family, including chain pickerel, and, god forgive me, seem to be a favourite for those fishing black salmon up at River Philip. I hope they have done something about that.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Chuck:-
No, they didn't. The devil's head is their trademark. It wasn't on the spoon until, I believe, the 70's because of the multitudes of knock offs that were being made. Up until that time, the only way you could tell was the packaging and, I think they may have had a stamp in the metal that said "Eppinger". I am relying on memory here and it ain't that good these days. Religious wack jobs continue to be just that - WACK JOBS!!
Regards.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Billy, Shimanoman is correct on his history of the dardevle lure. Visit the Eppinger website and check it out for yourself. They noted that one angler has collected 300 different fake variations of the red devle lure. It's definitely popular and I've been using it since I was a wee lad. I hardly know of an angler who doesn't have one.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Red Devils, and 5 of diamonds were my staple years ago. I was a Len Thompson guy, but gawd the success rate of those babys were great.
haha yes the Diamonds, I was having some great luck with that when Albro had a frenzy of speckleds buzzing around and lost a few here and there, so I went to pick up new ones at WalMart one day and they were all sold out... went back out to Albro and everyone and their dog had a Diamond. lol Earlier today me and a buddy of mine were up at Sandy and he caught a good sized bass right at shore using a Diamond when all else was failing.

Wow that's quite the history to the Devil.... good read

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just checked my spoons and I have original red devle lures, one by Len Thompson and some other fake one I was given by one of my staff. Caught my limit on the smallest one I had (fake type) during my first day of fishing in the Musquodobit river system this year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts