Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious is there has never been a move to seek the federal government approval for a sustenance license to be issued to non natives in Nova Scotia? On the West Coast, a person can go on line and obtain a fishing license for a series of salt water species within limits, and not fear retaliation from DFO. When I read the regulations in the fishing handbook, does a fishing license allow for the use of an eel pot. Is that license sufficient enough? I have tried to research the topic, but I have not found anything on the costs associated with obtaining a commercial license. If there only a certain amount of licenses issued in Nova Scotia? Also, with the invasive species of Green Crabs, has there been any additional information obtained from DFO on the fishing and trapping of the green crab as a food source or a bait for Lobster fishermen. I find it sad that I am unable to obtain something as simple as a crab with a single crab trap, or eels with a eel pot, without a commercial license. I am not a commercial fisherman, could never be, I love the water, and the bounty it could provide, and yet as a blue noser, I am not legally allowed to catch anything unless through obtaining a commercial license. I am sure this has been discussed, and I apologize if this is a repeated topic.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Several years ago I inquired and made contact with a gentleman at DFO in Ottawa. His special field was eels, he explained that you can only set an eel pot if you have a commercial eel license, and you can acquire a commercial eel license only if you hold another commercial fishing license.

The only legal way to harvest eels without a commercial license is by angling with a rod and reel or by spearing. You are allowed to spear eels at night with the use of a light in tidal waters only. You can spear eels in tidal waters through the ice

AL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hah, I've wondered about how rediculous this is for a while now and we may as well throw lobsters into the mix too. There is no risk (to my knowledge) of any of these species having low population numbers, so really the only answer is these decisions have been made with money being the driving reason.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a west coast sport fishermen, I cant believe that my fellow Canadians on the east coast will still stand for the govt giving a resource that belongs to ALL Canadians to a select few commercial fishermen.

I have nothing against a commercial man making a living from the sea... but ALL Canadians have RIGHT to access marine species for food and sustenance. So why do you put up with this??? We have a new government now-- its time to make your voices known with the new Minister of Fisheries and Oceans .. Right now, the odds are that he or she will be a east coaster. If you dont make a fuss , then maybe you deserve another 200 years of the same old-- same old........................

·
Registered
143 Posts
This drives me nuts as well. We can't catch halibut, tuna, crab, lobster, etc, etc, etc. There are recreational fisheries for these species all over north America. ......just not here

·
Registered
36 Posts
I posted this link a couple of years ago to show what you are missing down east.... http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.htm Click on the Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide link at the bottom of the page. The guide is a long read-- but it will give you the scope of our saltwater sport fishery in BC. If you take the time to ignore some of the BS on this website, http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/ You will get a good feel for what we have out west

1 - 7 of 7 Posts