Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Hey UKLee,

Where did you hear this?

There has been an ongoing battle at Oathill for years. A few residents like to believe that it is their private lake. One resident, in particular (perhaps the person Guest has mentionede), has taken it upon themselves to create as much disruption for anglers as possible.

On several occasions while fishing, a local gentleman (term used loosely), has taken it upon himself to take a swim amongst anglers, throw rocks in the lake in areas being fished and played fetch with a dog in the lake amongst anglers. All this in contravention of the Wildlife Act, Section 38, paragraphs 1-4. Despite being informed of such. Authorities were notified and I'm not sure if any action was taken. Never heard anything.

Oathill Lake poses an ongoing issue. There are certain anglers who abuse the situation. They start fires, cut brush and trees, leave a disgusting amount of garbage and generally abuse the area. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. I'm sure, this is one of the prime arguments of the locals.

Nonetheless, this lake should remain open to anglers. I've checked the Inland Fisheries, Sport Fishing site and not found any regulation notifications on the "Oathill Lake" situation. I'll try to make some inquiries, to get some official view point, come Monday. If I find anything out, I'll post it. Stay tuned.

Terran

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Oathill Lake poses an ongoing issue. There are certain anglers who abuse the situation. They start fires, cut brush and trees, leave a disgusting amount of garbage and generally abuse the area. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. I'm sure, this is one of the prime arguments of the locals.

Nonetheless, this lake should remain open to anglers. I've checked the Inland Fisheries, Sport Fishing site and not found any regulation notifications on the "Oathill Lake" situation. I'll try to make some inquiries, to get some official view point, come Monday. If I find anything out, I'll post it.
This is a classic example of anglers losing access because they abuse it with garbage, etc.

It's interesting to note that the winter fishery is open for white and yellow perch on Oathill, but not 'bows. Was it stocked with any species of trout in 2011?

As an aside, I see that the Occupy Nova Scotia protesters have been displaced. Perhaps we should suggest to them that they camp out on Oathill once it freezes.

Paul

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hey UKLee,

Where did you hear this?

There has been an ongoing battle at Oathill for years. A few residents like to believe that it is their private lake. One resident, in particular (perhaps the person Guest has mentionede), has taken it upon themselves to create as much disruption for anglers as possible.

On several occasions while fishing, a local gentleman (term used loosely), has taken it upon himself to take a swim amongst anglers, throw rocks in the lake in areas being fished and played fetch with a dog in the lake amongst anglers. All this in contravention of the Wildlife Act, Section 38, paragraphs 1-4. Despite being informed of such. Authorities were notified and I'm not sure if any action was taken. Never heard anything.

Nonetheless, this lake should remain open to anglers. I've checked the Inland Fisheries, Sport Fishing site and not found any regulation notifications on the "Oathill Lake" situation. I'll try to make some inquiries, to get some official view point, come Monday. If I find anything out, I'll post it. Stay tuned.

Terran
If you intend in doing some legwork on this situation I may be able to provide you two email contacts. The Current Pres. as well as the Ex Director of the NSFAH. They were both present at the AGM when this was brought front and center by the then Pres Mike Pollard.

I will not place their emails here, If you wish me to provide them to you let me know through a post and I will get them to you.
Remember this is what the Federation should be doing, they are then voice of the Fishers and Hunters of the province.

PS

Yes that is the individual you are referring to. Too bad actually, as his Son in Law is quite respected and quite a fisher himself.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We might be jumping the gun here guys, where is this information coming from ? I know DNR was intending on stocking rainbows this fall but whether they did or not......Can someone confirm the lake is actually not open this winter ??

·
2,726 Posts
This is a classic example of anglers losing access because they abuse it with garbage, etc.

It's interesting to note that the winter fishery is open for white and yellow perch on Oathill, but not 'bows. Was it stocked with any species of trout in 2011?

As an aside, I see that the Occupy Nova Scotia protesters have been displaced. Perhaps we should suggest to them that they camp out on Oathill once it freezes.

Paul
Hey Paul,

It was stocked in the spring. On the original Fall Stocking listing it had still appeared. It's removal seems to be a recent occurrence. Either, the locals have won out in their argument or the stocking has become a clandestine operation. Some of the local "fish hawks" watch the local lakes closely and pounce on newly stocked fish. These "stupid" trout (as my buddy and I call them) are easy picking for a week or two after they're stocked. They can easily be depleted before they acclimate after stocking.

Hope it's simply the latter and the stocking program continues.

As to the few ruining it for all - it's disgusting. And it is only a few. Most guy's are conscientious and take care of the area. However, there are some "younger" fishers as well as a few "Yahoo's" and "Bucket Brigaders" that just tear the place up. Building shelters, leaving beer and pop cans, bottles, trash and cutting wood for fires. This occurs in the spring and fall. Haven't been up their for ice fishing, so I can't comment directly, but I'm sure there are a few then as well.

Still, it would be a shame if the locals have prevailed. They simply didn't want fishing in "their" lake and used the garbage and such as a tool in their argument. If they were truly concerned about the lake, they might suggest that their road not be salted in the winter, to prevent run-off entering the lake.

Terran

·
2,726 Posts
If you intend in doing some legwork on this situation I may be able to provide you two email contacts. The Current Pres. as well as the Ex Director of the NSFAH. They were both present at the AGM when this was brought front and center by the then Pres Mike Pollard.

I will not place their emails here, If you wish me to provide them to you let me know through a post and I will get them to you.
Remember this is what the Federation should be doing, they are then voice of the Fishers and Hunters of the province.

PS

Yes that is the individual you are referring to. Too bad actually, as his Son in Law is quite respected and quite a fisher himself.
Hi Guest,

If you would like to PM me and provide those E- addresses, I would be happy to do some "legwork". I'm also interested in getting the official version of why (if) this decision has been made. Sounds like something I wouldn't mind digging into a little.

Terran

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
We might be jumping the gun here guys, where is this information coming from ? I know DNR was intending on stocking rainbows this fall but whether they did or not......Can someone confirm the lake is actually not open this winter ??
The Angler's Handbook does not have it listed as one of the 'bow lakes.

Paul

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi Guest,

If you would like to PM me and provide those E- addresses, I would be happy to do some "legwork". I'm also interested in getting the official version of why (if) this decision has been made. Sounds like something I wouldn't mind digging into a little.

Terran
Info sent.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi
At the meeting on Monday there were some handouts on the table at the far end of the room. One was a purple coloured one that was titled "winter sportfishing oppertunities" on page two sub titled RAF#3 (Halifax & lunenburg Counties) Rainbow Trout Listed the open lakes
Albro lake Halifax County
Maynard lake Halifax County
Penhorn lake Halifax County
Lewis Lake Halifax County
Round Lake Halifax County
Sucker Lake Lunenburge County

White & Yellow Perch
Albro lake Halifax County

Chain Pickerel
Fish, Morris, Russell, Kinsac lakes Halifax County

Also you will notice it was not on the winter stocking list either.

Tony has said he was e-mailing the guy at the meeting to give him some sugestions on waters that could be open so it may change but at the moment it is not listed as open.

·
2,726 Posts
Hey UKLee,

Yeah, I've gone over the handouts and notice a couple of interesting things. In last years regulations (2010) Oathill Lake was open year round. In the 2011 Fall Stocking List, handed out at the first of the year, Oathill Lake was listed for Rainbow stocking. Now, in the handout at the RFAC meeting, "2011 Fall Stocking List", Oathill Lake is omitted from the stocking list.

There has been a change to the regulations and the stocking of this lake with very little notification. It would seem that it doesn't even require a posting of the change on Inland Fisheries website. (Believe me I've searched for it)

I find this fact disturbing. First, there should have been some discussion at the RFAC #3 meeting giving some information regarding the change. Second, there was no indication of the change in the "New for 2011" section of the 2011 General Regulations. Third, with the problem with Handbook availability this year, far more notification efforts should have been made.

I'll be digging into this come tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get some answers. But, as it stands now Oathill appears to have been taken off the stocking list and is not open year round for Rainbows.

Personally, I find the way this has been handled to be less than acceptable and kind of underhanded.

Terran

·
Registered
879 Posts
Even though I've only spent a couple hours on Oathill, I don't like reduced opportunities for our ice season, sounds like inland fisheries greased the squeaky wheel, unfortunately sportfisherman weren't squeaking, we should all take heed.

Greg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oathill was stocked at the beginning of the year with speckle trout and not bows this year. i wa told it was to get the lake back to a more "natural" lake in ns. As for the guy that comes around i have seen him and had a few run ins with him. As for asking how many holes i need to drill. Like 2 or 3 and how i was bothering the skaters. As for that they were down at one end and i was at the other. so where is the problem. The only problem i have is with the guy that drives his 4 wheeler on the trail cause he is the "trail warden" im not sure that applies but what do i know. has anyone else seen this guy? The only reason i thought that they were not allowing ice fishing was to try and build the stock for next year since they put in like 300 small "less the 6 inch" trout in there. Anyone have this idea or is it the people around that lake that think they own it. I think if this is the case maybe we should have a little get together there next year and do a bbq and fishing tourny for the day. cause really i believe that its a free country and a public lake. anyone else like this idea?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hey Paul,

It was stocked in the spring. On the original Fall Stocking listing it had still appeared. It's removal seems to be a recent occurrence. Either, the locals have won out in their argument or the stocking has become a clandestine operation. Some of the local "fish hawks" watch the local lakes closely and pounce on newly stocked fish. These "stupid" trout (as my buddy and I call them) are easy picking for a week or two after they're stocked. They can easily be depleted before they acclimate after stocking.

Hope it's simply the latter and the stocking program continues.

As to the few ruining it for all - it's disgusting. And it is only a few. Most guy's are conscientious and take care of the area. However, there are some "younger" fishers as well as a few "Yahoo's" and "Bucket Brigaders" that just tear the place up. Building shelters, leaving beer and pop cans, bottles, trash and cutting wood for fires. This occurs in the spring and fall. Haven't been up their for ice fishing, so I can't comment directly, but I'm sure there are a few then as well.

Still, it would be a shame if the locals have prevailed. They simply didn't want fishing in "their" lake and used the garbage and such as a tool in their argument. If they were truly concerned about the lake, they might suggest that their road not be salted in the winter, to prevent run-off entering the lake.

Terran
if they don't want ppl fishing in "their" lake maybe the stocking should stop completely for awhile it may change their tune if their fishing oppor tunity is taken away. If it is their lake they can stock and pay for it themselves from their pockets instead of the monies from our licences. Just a thought. I know this has been threatened at sunken lake as many land owners think it is their lake as well

·
2,726 Posts
Hey Gang,

Just an update. I have sent some e-mails and am awaiting replies. One of the gentleman, "Guest" sent me contact info on, was contacted and was good enough to reply and will look into the matter as well.

Hoping to have some info soon.

Terran

·
Registered
128 Posts
so whats the word?? or has noone heard anything??

·
Registered
185 Posts
The lake is closed for ice fishing.

According to an article titled Stewards of the Lake on page 3 of the "Weekly News" this week reads.

Quote. "There will be no ice fishing on Oathill Lake this winter. The closure is a significant victory for Oathill Lake Conservation Society, a group of concerned residents and other recreational users of Oathill Lake who came together in 2010 to look at ways to improve the ecological health of the small lake off Lorne Avenue.

The group also negotiated with Nova Scotia Fisheries and Aquaculture a reduction in the size and amount of fish stocked this year.

By the way Mr Terry Rowell of Lorne Avenue is the Chair of this society that has everyone's interests at heart.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts