Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone use the czech upstream nymphing techique, ive tried it this year and found its very effective, i have caught searun speckles and browns. Its amazing how close to the fish you can actually get.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ideally you want to use a rod that is about 10' in length but I have been doing this effectively with my 9' rods. In laymans terms (okay the way that I perform it) you basically keep your arm outstretched and keep the fly (nymph) right under the rod tip. Follow the fly with the tip. The fly line itself doesn't really hit the water as you're just basically using the leader. When you come to the end of the drift that you're fishing you basically pick it up and replace the fly where you started. That's it.

I'm sure there are people out here more qualified that can describe it better than I... but that's how I do it. I've used it very effectively in small streams.

Alex

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ideally you want to use a rod that is about 10' in length but I have been doing this effectively with my 9' rods. In laymans terms (okay the way that I perform it) you basically keep your arm outstretched and keep the fly (nymph) right under the rod tip. Follow the fly with the tip. The fly line itself doesn't really hit the water as you're just basically using the leader. When you come to the end of the drift that you're fishing you basically pick it up and replace the fly where you started. That's it.

I'm sure there are people out here more qualified that can describe it better than I... but that's how I do it. I've used it very effectively in small streams.

Alex
thanks, i'll give it a try.

·
Registered
227 Posts
[quote name='JSG949' date='06 June 2010 - 12:06 PM' timestamp='1275836783' post='771']
thanks, i'll give it a try.
[/

quote]
i like to take about 20 ft of line off and use a strike indicator and roll cast ihe nymph up stream as soon as there is enough slack comming back i roll cast up again have had great luck that way and it gives quite a bit of water time for the nymph good times and tight lines

·
Registered
806 Posts
its my go to for browns on the Cornwallis. Lower and raise the tip for an extended drift. In a couple weeks the taller grass will provide more cover for concealment. looking forward to more!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from what ive been reading about it, if you dont snag bottom from time to time then to add split shot to aquire this depth, there for any amount of distance casting would be hard. I usally make my cast of 5 feet or less of line to a spot let it drift back past me raising my rod up and mending slightly, then as its on its downdrift i take a step ahead and repeat, from what ive been reading , most trout face up stream into the current awaiting nypmps and drowned insects, there for anyfishing downstream, ie. wetfly drift would most likely spook any fish that line drags across, also wading downstream alerts trouts of your presence, by any smell of you or you waders, plus dirt stird up from walking. I hope to get out today and nymph some browns, hopefully the rivers are not brown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts