Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

What is your favourite smallie lake for bass over 18"? Let's divide the area into 1/ HRM, 2/, South Shore, 3/Yarmouth [SW Nova], 4/Valley, 5/Truro [NW Nova]. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

chuck

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ten mile lake in Queens county on the South Shore, used to produce a fair amount of large fish. I haven't caught many in a while from there though lots of little guys but big ones grew wiser I guess.

I know it's not a lake, But my Favorite smallie waters around here bar none for big fish and numbers also, is the Mersey River. I have caught and released numerous fish the last couple of years between 18 and 20''. lots between 14 to 17''. and lots of other smaller fish as well.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi hca;

That's one for the south shore.
Nice to learn that we can get large bass in some of our rivers, too!

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
173 Posts
hey chuck, not a lake but....
i love the shubie river. consistantly get 12-15 inchers.
and being in a river i find much more fight in em.
If yer gonna fish bass from shore, fish the rivers,
at least it works for me.
shubie(elemsdale),shubie (waverly)
all thru the shubie system works

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mattatall Lake, Wentworth in Cumberland county. Descent size lake with alot of bass in the 2-3lb range but def have some bigger ones.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chuck,

I know it has been said over and over but the Lahave system has some large bass in most of the lakes on the system. Biggest I have heard of is 23" on Indian Lake. I have caught many in the river itself that were over 18". I do not have any interest in chasing them as they are a by-catch of my trouting endeavors, so I do not bother to measure much. Without a doubt there are large bass in Wentzell's, New Germany Lake, and Sherbrooke, also on the lake William system. The largest I landed but did not measure, had a mouth big enough I could reach my whole hand in to remove the lure.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi All
There are a lot of small lakes on the South Shore, very little fished and without much in the way of access that contain very good fish. Carrying a canoe results in a lot of nice fish. My best trout or bass come out of lakes like those. There are so many - almost every little lake you see - that it would take a lifetime to fish them. And when you catch a fine fish where ever and whatever you tend to go back there. Anglers are not for unknowns weither flies, lures, water or fishing partners!
As the old saying goes "So much water - so little time"
Paul

·
Registered
806 Posts
i live in the valley , mostly because of the fishing. and i definately like little river lake. BUT for consistantly very large fish , i have to say that trout pond above LRL and below gasperau lake is a small body of water , that consistantly produces large fish;anytime of the season!the most difficult spot i've fished was mcgill lake !took me about 3 days , but i eventually figured it out , and i loved it .power fishing catching fish over 18'' every hour on average, with a couple on consecutive casts. nice trout lake too , holding specks and browns. i never seen a brown there, but the first time there my father got a 16'' speck on bass gear!other than those areas i don't really travel much!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hmm I know a bunch of small water that are consistent big fish producers... not gonna reveal them but will list best over all mainstream waters.

Yarmouth - OPP or Wentworth..... and a tonne of hard to get to waters

South Shore - Sherbrooke Lake/ Mersey

Valley - Aylesford Lake and a bunch of small water

HRM - Grand

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have caught nice sized all over as mentioned from others in lakes and ponds and places you wouldn't even think would hold a bass.

So like others have mentioned they are out there, you just might have to do a little leg work to find some spots. It's nice to see that there are bodies of water all over the province to find some big ol' bronzebacks.

If I had to choose over fishing a lake with nice smallies or a river with nice smallies, I'd have to go with a river all day long. Just because like zepp1964 said, they fight like you wouldn't believe.

Fighting the current all day makes them a strong fish, and they learn to use the current in there advantage also.

So hooking into 3-4 lb fish feels like hooking into a bus

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again,

This is all great info, and a lot of it exciting news-- for me, at least!

My own fave is Tucker Lake in Beaverbank.

Not very easy to narrow it down to 'the best' smallie location. Too many good ones!!

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have caught plenty on piggot lake in lakelands. if you know what you are doing and what gear is best, you can get them 12-15 inches and above easily. i have caught as many as 10 a day, all over 13 inches. the best time i find to fish them is the last 2 weeks of july and the first 2 of august. before and after that you mostly bring in pickerel. in those 4 weeks you will usually bring in about 2 to 3 pickerel. before and after that i usually bring in around 4 to 5 pickerel a day and the odd out smallie.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I gotta go with matatall lake as well ... It's a decent sized lake and there are alot of fish. I fished it with 6 other guys in early august, we fished for about 3-4 hours and caught over 30 fish each. But there was only one decent bass caught via fly and everyone else was using spinning gear with a variety of lures and baits.

There was so many perch it was frustrating. you couldn't keep them off your hook.

·
Registered
879 Posts
For bigger water I like Panuke because I can be on it within a half hour of home and it usually fishes well for me, lots of 17 inchers with some bigger.

Greg

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi;

Not many votes for HRM and North Nova. Surprising. Also surprising all the votes for Mattatal. I don't know if it has a public launch, but with this many fans it must have something.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi Chuck,

I live 2 minutes from Tucker and last summer I landed a 19"er right off the road on a hot August day. It was around 2 pm or so and 30 degrees the type of weather most anglers would say "forget about it". I was with my daughter on a float tube 3 feet from shore and not really serious about catching a fish but it's like the lottery, you wont catch one for sure if your lines not wet. Anyway it was a beauty and I released it after my daughter got to hold it and appreciate it. I intend to catch it again this summer at 21"'s lol

Cheers,

James

1 - 20 of 96 Posts