Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Admin
551 Posts
These flies were graciously donated by Shienar and we are giving them away to one deserving member on April 30th. Tell us why you are deserving of these files and qualify to win. Share a shad fishing story or experience of any kind and you'll be entered into our draw on April 30th. Good luck

·
Registered
575 Posts
My first time really shad fishing was last year, me and 2 friends caught nine in total, was a really good time. Smoked them, didn't realize shad was so tasty (what isn't smoked though haha)

Not much of a shad story but it will have to do

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have always caught gaspereaux and mackeral and given them to elderly folks I know who love fish but are unable to get out and get them for themslves. Two years ago I started asking if they would like a shad and they all graciously took them. The look on their faces when I bring them fresh fish is priceless! Everyone should try it!

·
Banned
767 Posts
hi;

I think I should get the flies because I am old and have never caught a shad on the fly and need to do so soon, before it is too late
!!

One story that sticks with me is the time a lot of people were throwing darts at shad in the Schuby at the "Indian Bridge" near Elmsdale. Fishing was good but one 12-13 year old was having no luck, but every time someone caught one he would run to them and throw right over them. People got angry after he was politely told to f--- -ff, several times. His father yelled at him, his older brother jeered at him, the kid was out of control. He was also mouthy and insolent to everybody, including his dad.

Thing is, his dad landed a shad and then handed his outfit to the older brother, who made to cast out. Little brother came charging up, as always, just in time to catch his brother's dart in his lower lip. Much screaming and swearing, etc. Who knew a boy had such an extensive store of foul words? Not to mention blood.

Anyhow, the line was cut but they didn't know how to get the the hook out. But they tried. I told them they needed to remove or bend down the barb, first, and for that they needed a pair of pliers or wire cutters. Nobody on the bank had such a thing, it seemed, so they all went home.

Oddly enough, It turned out that I had forgotten the pliers on my multi-tool!! And I was not the only one who had tools, but had forgotten them.
At least half a dozen anglers there had pliers. I still feel awful about that. Sort of.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can always use some new shad files. My story goes like this. I hunter the shad for a few years without much luck. Finding them was never a problem, but getting them to take my presentation was another story. I always started Shad fishing in May and would stop after them seemed to have moved on from my regular spots. I always seem to miss the initial runs up river and other anglers would tell me every year I should have been there last week. My Fly fishing for Shad was becoming frustrating to say the least with only a handfull of landed shad each spring. However, last year I started in April and hunted them all the way to the end of June and finally had days like I had heard of from so many other shad anglers where landing double digit numbers wasn't a problem. My long hours of unproductive shad fishing days finally paid off. I'm looking forward to this season and feel I have good handle on how, where, & when to catch these fish. For those of you that are new to shad fishing or having the same difficulties I was over the years I hope this helps. My greatest numbers for shad last year came in the middle to the last part of April and from about the last week of May to about the 3rd week in June. I had always heard that when shad are on their way back out of the rivers the action can be better then on when they are on their way up the rivers and I can turely now say that that statement is true. In the past I was starting too late and giving up too early. So, this season, you'll find me on the banks of the Steweack and Nine mile from mid April to early May and from late May to about the middle of June. Durning the month of May, when I used to fish for them, because as they say, once you see the trees budding the shad are in, which is true, but by then they are only interested in one thing, SEX. Can't blame them, there are are nice looking hens out there. So, I looking forward to some great trout fishing this May without worring about missing the opportunity to catch lots of shad on the fly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last year was the first time I caught shad on a fly. I have caught lots on spinnig gear.I am not the greatest fly fisherman but I always carry the fly rod with me. I try to wait until I am by myself to use the fly rod because if there are other fisherman close by I am sure I would catch them trying to get my line out. this one day last year there was just another fisherman and myself there and he said to me to try and catch one on a fly. He said he never seen anyone catch a shad on fly, only took a few cast and I had two.I don't know who was more excited him or me. Now you might say I am hooked on fly. Can't wait to get on the river again. This year the wife wants to give it a try, I don't think she can stand there for eight hours or more, I just don't want to leave.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My favourite memory of shad fishing is when I schooled a visiting Norwegian student in the fine art of shad fishing...

He had come to Canada for a year to work in the same lab as me and we became great friends. The cost of living is so high in Norway that graduate students get paid nearly 3 times as much as Canadian grad students, so his money went a long way here and he bought three pitchers of beer for every one that I bought for the entire winter. We razzed each other constantly, especially about the relative merits of soccer versus hockey. To try to settle this debate, we played a two-on-two soccer and hockey tournament, Canadians against Scandanavians. We beat them 34-2 at hockey, but they pounded us 40-1 at soccer! As a result, the Canadians had to wear silky soccer jerseys downtown on Friday night and bow repeatedly to the Scandanavians and say "We're not worthy" anytime anyone asked why we were wearing stupid-looking jerseys. It was a looooong night. While they were feeling cocky about their win, I decided to get my revenge. I challenged them to a shad-fishing duel the next morning. The losing team had to eat a double-pattie Curly burger from Curly Portables with all the fixin's AND pay for the meal (keep in mind, these two Scanadavians were each about 140 lbs soaking wet, so a double Curly Burger is a near-suicidal challenge to them, especially with an epic hangover!). The rules were:
10 points - shad hooked in the mouth on the fly
5 points - shad hooked in the mouth on a dart
-5 points for any foul-hooked shad
Well.... you can imagine where this went. It was skinny water in the Nine Mile and the shad were THICK. It was like shooting fish in a barrel, except for the challenge of not foul hooking them... It was POURING rain and the shad were active all afternoon. I fished a short enough line that I could see if my fly was foul-hooked, and managed to flip it out of harms way without foul-hooking most of the time. It only took me 5 fair-hooked shad to convince them to give up, and we headed to Curly's to dry off and have our meal. In the end, I took pity of the two of them and did not force them to eat their entire meals (although they did pay for mine!). After all, I didn't want them puking Curly fries all over my car on the way home!
-Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was taken Shad fishing 4yrs ago, I wasn't told what we were fishing for I was just given a coloured hook(shad dart) and told everyone fishes here for the "big ones". I was the first to hook a Shad and I was so excited I almost fell in what a fight lol my friend was bent over laughing and said congrats you just caught your first Shad I've been going every year since!

·
Registered
19 Posts
2009 was my first shad experience. since i live 3 hours away from the nearest shad and had never seen one i had no idea where to begin. the wife and i like to take a trip to halifax every may or june so that was my window of opertunity. after lots of research on nsfishing.com and some help from a few members they pointed me towards enfield where i bought some shad darts and caught my first shad, and a big one at that. i think it was around 4-5 pounds but im not sure, id post the pic if i knew how and it was live released. i caught 6 more nice ones in couple hours. great trip ill never forget especially the sound of the drag buzzing and a fish that jumped like a salmon on a fly rod altough that was only shad i got that jumped like that. so thanks for a trip that would never had happened without nsfishing.com ...now i cant wait till middle may again!!!

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Hi Guy's,

Here's a "Weird or What?" story.

I've been fly fishing shad for quite a while now. I truly respect and love this fishery. In my eyes they certainly earn the name, "Poor Mans Salmon". So reviving and releasing a fish gets the same effort as I would give a salmon.

This one day, a couple years back, my best friend and I are having a great day on the Nine Mile just above the confluence. You know the spot. We're nailing them one after the other. The fishing's the best it's been that season, so far. It is literally, taking longer to release the fish than hook another.

I cast across the river - give a couple of pulls - BAM, Fish On.

This fish takes off upstream. Nothing so unusual? Right? But, the fish is a large "Hen" and going like she's possessed.

Then…nothing. Just dead weight.

I pull the fish in like I'm dragging in a Sobeys bag. She's alive, but just not moving.

Now, my Buddy is curious so he makes his way downstream to see what's happened. The two of us are throwing possible reasons for such strange behaviour around. Ran into another fish? A log or rock? Knocked itself out? Maybe it's narcoleptic?

We spent two or three hours trying to get that fish to swim away. She would strengthen and give a couple kicks but when you released her she'd just swim to one side and flounder. The swimming to the one side ended up being our strongest clue. I think the fish took a stroke. Ended up keeping her. I felt bad the rest of the day though. Not for keeping the fish (I know people who like eating them). But, it was the way she went.

Weird, Huh?

Terran

·
Registered
13 Posts
With all due respect to the other members I must say that I am the only one truly deserving of these flies. I'm normally not the type to brag about how awesome I am but since this is a contest I will break with tradition this one time and explain why I should be a winner.

One beautiful afternoon last May a friend and co-worker invited me to go shad fishing with him. I had never gone shad fishing before but I'm always eager for new experiences so I agreed. I bought some shad darts and picked him up at his house and drove to his secret spot not far from the Birch Hill bridge. Not far from the bridge we spotted a young lady looking distressed at the side of the road. It turned out her car had a flat tire and her boyfriend had taken the spare tire AND jack out of her car. So using the jack from my jeep we took the flat tire off and I repaired it myself and pumped it back up with my handy air compressor I purchased at Canadian Tire for only $14.95. Afterwards the young lady offered me her phone number but I explained to her that I was married, but I did want to have a few words with her boyfriend for leaving her in such a precarious situation. So I followed her to her house and I gave her boyfriend a stern lecture on his responsibilities and duties as a man. Afterwards he thanked me for my words of wisdom and offered me a beer, but I really wanted to try shad fishing so I shook his hand and off we went.

We parked my jeep beside the road and began to cut through a field towards my friend's secret honey hole. I spied something at the far end of the field but I couldn't make out what it was as I was looking directly into the sun. As we got closer I could hear screaming and moaning as if someone was in great pain. I dropped my fishing gear and ran as fast as I could and discovered it was a young lady who had fallen and twisted her ankle. I calmed her down and ripped off my shirt and tore it into strips. By this time my friend had caught up with us and though he was out of breath I ordered him to take some of the strips and dip them in the water so I could use them to cool her down. I then cut some alders and fashioned a splint using a technique taught to me by an old mountain man who tutored me as a boy. I fastened the splint around her ankle with what was left of my shirt, and applied the cool, wet strips to her forehead and neck. I offered to take her to the hospital but she said she would be fine if I could just get her back to her house which was about a mile and a half away. I picked her up in my arms and told my friend to carry on to the fishing spot while I carried the young lady home. Along the way she must have started feeling better because suddenly she began caressing my shoulders and rubbing my chest. I explained to her that I was married but it did not deter her advances. She wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me passionately. I pulled back and scolded her for her lewd conduct. I got her to her house and layed her down on the couch, still sobbing. I told her not to be embarrassed and wished her luck. Now finally I could get to fishing some shad.

I made my way back to the spot where I administered my first-aid and followed my friend's trail using bush skills taught to me by my mountain man friend and from watching Mantracker on OLN. As I approached the river I could hear my friend who was screaming! I ran and discovered that my friend had slipped down the muddy banks and was drowning in the river! I jumped in and tried to save him. As any of you who have tried to rescue a drowning victim know it is made very difficult with all of their panicking and arms flailing all over the place. To compound my troubles, my friend is a portly fellow, who weighed well over 300 pounds at the time. I tried to calm him down so I could get him into a rescue position, but he just kept screaming and thrashing his big gorilla arms. So I hauled off and knocked him out with one punch and then dragged him to the shore. I slung him up over my shoulder and started the long trek back to my jeep. There would be no shad fishing for me on this day. My friend regained consciousness along the way and told me what a great guy I was and begged me not to tell anyone how I had to rescue him. And that is a promise I intend to keep. I drove him home and then went back to my house where I had a chance to rub some lotion on my sunburnt skin and drink a well deserved beer.

To this day I have never gone shad fishing but I fully intend to this year, and it sure would be swell if I could try it with one of those beautiful flies. I swear to you every word of this story is true. I wouldn't be much of a fisherman if I stretched the truth a little bit, now would I?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well for me here's my sob story lol. I'm a low income single dad who's trying to raise my boy to really love the sport of fishing (he's on this years cover for the anglers' Handbook) I want to teach him how to fish all kinds of different species and it's sometimes hard if you want to do something but can't really afford it. Any new gear would really help with getting me and my boy out to the water.

As far as fishing stories goes, I have a zillion of them... it's hard to pick one for the books

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only reason i have that i should get the flys is because I am new to the sport and being a post secondary student i have very little extra cash to spend on fishing gear this year!

Sadly I don't have a story to share yet.

Thanks
Robbie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't honestly say why I should deserve these any more than anyone else. But I know last year was the first time my son and I had ever gone Shad fishing. We only caught 1 between us because I think we were a little late into the season when we went out, but it was a ton of fun. We'll definitely be heading out again this year. I plan on trying fly fishing for them this time but we will both have the regular rods with us. Thanks for putting on this great contest and good luck to the winner.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Good looking flies Dave
We will need go in a month or so
My best shad story happened a couple of years ago when Joe, my grandson and I went to the Annapolis. We first went to the Kings county Park and fished there for a while. Good spot for fish but its kind of hard to get along the shore. Anyway Joe was using a dart on a spinning rod, I a fly.
We took a number of fish when I took one that turned and ran down river at a high rate of knots. Not wanting to fall in I stubbed the line up, the shad jumped and was gone and so was the fly.
Joe suggested we try another spot so he could see more of the river. Then we drove down to Station Road and went down there. Somewhere between 1 and 2 kms I would guess especially by the river as it flows in and out.
Anyway it wasn't long before Joe hooked a fish. When he got it in, he yelled "Papa I got your fly back!"
And there was my fly and his dart less than an inch apart in the shads tail.
So since I got my fly back, I wouldn't need those beauts and hope someone has fun with them!
Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I began fly fishing for shad last year and really enjoyed getting out with my little girls. Nothing is as exciting as seeing children with a fish on. One particular Saturday morning we were fishing the Nine Mile. The youngest girl had her turn catching a shad and then the older girl finally got here chance. The girls had been accustomed to using a spinning rig with the drag set fairly light. The eldest girl was trying to bring in a shad that had run 2-3 times and used a little too much pressure. There were a couple knots in my leader and unfortunately it broke off. Here is the video of a 7 yr old with 8.5' rod.

After losing the fish I tied on a new leader and fly. After about 10 minutes we hooked a fish. I landed the fish and to our surprise it was the same fish that we had just lost. I couldn't believe it as there were at least 50 fish in the pool. The shad had initially been foul hooked on a yellow fly and but took the green fly in the mouth. Here is the story as described by my excited 6 yr. old.

Fishing stopped when it started to rain. Cetainly was a great day for dad's memory bank.

Hope you all get out with your family.

PS. If we are fortunate enough to win the flies, the girls will put them to good use!

Removed photo of dead shad and video........... sorry everyone!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hello All,

First of all, wonderful looking flies. Shienar if I do not win do you think it possible that we could work something out whereupon I might obtain some?

Fishing is one of my main passions and I have been pursuing fly fishing more and more over the last few years. So far I have caught trout, bass, pickerel, perch, char and salmon on the fly. This year I am taking my wife and 2 friends to the Atlantic Fly Fishing School on April 30th so that I can unlearn my bad habits, improve my casting and most importantly introduce 3 dear people to the sport of fly fishing. My daughter is 11, she caught her first trout on the fly when she was 6 and although at the moment becoming a great caster is not in her top 100 list of things to do, with encouragement she will also fly fish and share her love of it with her family.

This year it is my goal to catch mackerel, striped bass, and yes shad on the fly.

In order to do this, a wonderful set of handsome flies would be instrumental in my endeavors and perhaps the bright pink would even encourage my daughter to catch her first shad 29 years earlier than myself. Success would be all the sweeter to know that the flies were locally tied by a gentleman angler such as Shienar, and yes I have met him and this is not meant to be flattering or influential, it is the truth.

Happy Angling,

James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow... shad season is almost here, again - I can't wait! Last year was my first " serious" year at attempting to land a shad on a flyrod. I used an 8-1/2 ft Fenwick Eagle flyrod with 7-weight double-taper floating line, and a fluorescent green fly tied by a good buddy of mine. There were lots of shad in the river but they either didn't like the fly... or my casting or retrieving, perhaps?

It was at least a half hour before I "nicked" the first fish... it was only on for a second or two... then nothing! Worked the river hard for the next hour or so, then "fish-on"! It probably only took 5 minutes to strip in enough line so I could get the shad into the shallows, but it felt much longer than that... last time I had fish that strong on a flyrod, was at least 10 years ago, salmon fishing the Musquodoboit and Stewiacke Rivers... what a hoot!

Though I knew my parents enjoyed shad and shad roe, this one was released live - no harm done - to join his (or her) fishy mates.

Who knew shad on a fly, could be so much fun? At least, I do, now!

Good Fishing and good luck to all.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Will put a story in when I get a fix on my home computer, Why I feel I should get these flies, I will be the one giving them to the many first time shad fly fishers I meet every year and help out even giving up my tiny shad darts so they can hook a fish.ps I use the tiny darts when I feel the need to cheat and fly fish

1 - 20 of 32 Posts