Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a new salmon rod for next season just wondering what others think of these two rods! I have my mind set on a 8wt but just can't bring myself to choose one! And what reel should I get to complete the setup? Thanks!!

·
1,353 Posts
I have not tried either rod but I have used the GLX since it came out and it is a great rod. I suspect both are great rods and will definately do the job. I have been looking at a Hardy Zenith rod. I know, I know Hardy hasn't made a competive rod for NA market but if the hype is true this could be a winner.
My concern is breakage on Loomis and Sage. It is not that rods break they do and the warrenty is good on both. It is for me down time waiting for a replacement. I have had issues and have heard some long waits for some consumers, thankfully not recently.

·
Registered
34 Posts
both rods r awesome the nrx has the hype, lite and strong is all u really want, not sure on how they cast. don't think there is any issues. i have a sage xi2 and a abel super 9 and i use it for everything from stripers to shad and salmon to smallmouth. the abel reel is pricey but lasts a life time and then some. u can get good deals online i saved almost 50% on mine. Tibor,Bauer, Natilus, they r all good and Ross reels has a new one that looks awsome. depends on your budget and type of drag u want. the best reels r ones made for the salt. if they can handle that they can handle anything u can throw at them on the river.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is long but take a look. http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp In a nutshell, you can't go wrong with any of them. The Zenith is getting a lot of attention and for good reason; it is the nicest rod that I have ever cast. Having said that, like the NRX, it is too light for me. I cast 6wts in both and they felt like 4wts. They just feels like they will break. With the GLX reduced in price, I would go with that and the Z-Axis is a proven work horse aswell. I will throw this one into the mix aswell, Guideline LeCie.

As far as reels go; Ross Vexis or Lamson Litespeed. Great bang for buck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys!! I'm gonna go with the Z-axis but still unsure on the reel!

·
Registered
36 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the Z-axis. Excellent rod. I ended up with a 5, 7, and 9wt z-axis. I have the Sage 6010 on the 9 wt. The 6010 reel is flawless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts