Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visiting in November and notice only a few lakes are open for picks. Any suggestions which would be best that time of year? I am more looking for big ones as opposed to a lot of little ones.

Also to get a non-resident license, do I just buy one from a bait shop? Can I get one right before I start fishing?

·
Registered
587 Posts
hi
Almost any of the open lakes may contain big pickerel. I would recommend either the lakes around Halifax or the Annis or Meteghan systems.
As far as licence, at that time of year - you need go to a DNR depot to get it. Sometimes it can be a hassel and in the past you needed to show up in person to do so. Funny bunch those DNR folks.
Enjoy the fishing
Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Skip,
Here's a link to our Provincal Fishing License page (http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/fish/paal190.asp)
Also my friends and I have had some good luck in previous years with big picks in Grand Lake and Kinsac Lake in the HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) We're going to be hitting up Grand Lake this Sept & Oct to try our luck for some big Strippers. We've been told good things about Grand Lake in the early & late fall.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Where abouts in N.S. are you coming?
Yarmouth is another 3 hours,Digby 2 hours,from Halifax maybe a long ways to go for not a forsure big fish?
Grand Lake(closer to Hal.)is a pretty big lake(for us)and if you don't have a boat not sure what your options will be from shore.
The waters will most likely(98%)be open,some lakes are even in season for smallies till the end of Dec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts