Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a decent map book or something to that effect ?
not interested so much in the streets at all. i want to find some kind of book with rivers,streams and various waterways .

·
Registered
161 Posts
the nova scotia backroad map book can be invaluble to the adventurous angler. This book will show some very small streams not visible from google earth or maps. They are sold at many gas stations and can be orderd online. The province also offers a complete topo map series,and i belive there is also a fishing map/book.google it and check, there are lots of these local resources available on the provinces website

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
the nova scotia backroad map book can be invaluble to the adventurous angler. This book will show some very small streams not visible from google earth or maps.
I agree, and it's available all over the place (saw a bunch in the Superstore the other day). The fishing advice in it is a bit sketchy, so take it with a grain of salt; otherwise a very useful resource.

There's also an atlas of Nova Scotia maps that I think is published by the provincial government.

Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
I actually picked up a nova scotia fishermans map few years ago at iriving i think. thing was awesome showed all the waterways and what species were in each one. cant find a new one anywhere thou.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Back Raod Map books are the best ones I've seen so far. Like mentioned, the info in the back is way out dated for a lot of areas. I don't know where they got their info from, but it is not the latest. They had one of the lakes I fish listed as have browns in it, there hasn't been a brown caught or seen in the lake in 20 years. the outlet stream connecting it to the ocean was blocked and the browns killed off. So where ever they got their info, it's not up to date. But the maps are excellent.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
once again i thank you for all your help. i have to say this site has some of the best and nicest people i've had the pleasure to interact with.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi There,

I picked up the Backroads Map Book and honestly I don not like it. The infor printed in it is out of date and the maps are not good for much other than a general hint of what to expect. I am really in favour for the Nova Scotia Atlas as well as the HRM Atlas. The HRM is such a huge area that it covers a nice chunk of the province in very good detail. It is carried by Chapters etc...

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Day, Well this is my first post of this site, so I guess I should make it a good one.

I work at the Nova Scotia Geomatics Centre in Amherst and I have to say we offer alot more maps
other then the Backroads book, NB Atlas and NS Atlas. If you are interested in our Online map store
PM me and I can give you the link. I don't know the rules behind posting of urls so I will do it
that way.

Other maps we have are small booklet maps for the following areas which are around the $4 range:

Stewiacke River
Shubenacadie Canal System
St. Mary's River
Ponhook and Molega Lakes System
Grand River
Roseway River
River Hebert
Liscomb River
As well, Canoe Waterways of NS

We also have various fold out maps such as the NS Nature Map and NS Fishing Map.

I Hope this Information will help you with your ventures as It always helps me out with
Fishing, Hunting and Off Roading.

Cheers

Josh

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi There,

I picked up the Backroads Map Book and honestly I don not like it. The infor printed in it is out of date and the maps are not good for much other than a general hint of what to expect. I am really in favour for the Nova Scotia Atlas as well as the HRM Atlas. The HRM is such a huge area that it covers a nice chunk of the province in very good detail. It is carried by Chapters etc...

James
Hi;

For those interested in the HRM Atlas, Indigo Books [Sunnyside Mall, at least] has them on super sale for $6.99, reduced from $29.95. I got mine this PM and they had over a dozen left. Just FYI.

cheers,

chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts