Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else noticed that for the first time, that I can remember, the licence fee and breakdown of funds hasn't been printed on the licence?

Could it be they really were trying to get the 2% service charge, that comes into effect April 1st, by holding up the licence? Should we be worrying about something else? There used to be a portion of the licence going to the Sportfish Fund. By not printing it on the licence does this mean those funds are going elsewhere? Any thoughts?

Tight Lines

Terran

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
What is this 2% "service charge" I keep hearing about? Is it in addition to the 2% user fee increase, or are the two terms being confused with each other?

Here's the article from the Herald:

User fees increased

User fees normally go up by at least an inflationary amount each year. I hate it, but I don't think the conspiracy theorist blogs are going to go wild about it. My understanding is that the 2011 fee was payable regardless of when the licence was (or will be) purchased. In other words, the price won't jump tomorrow, because it already did.

I'm not paranoid about the fees not being printed on the face of the licence. If you haul out your driver's licence, you'll see that it doesn't show the fees either. In fact, the amount allocated to the sportfish fund also increased by roughly 2% from $5.60 to $5.71.

The irony (as I posted earlier in another thread) is that the printing was so late, even though there was no time-sensitive information on the licence itself!

Paul

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
What is this 2% "service charge" I keep hearing about? Is it in addition to the 2% user fee increase, or are the two terms being confused with each other?

Here's the article from the Herald:

User fees increased

User fees normally go up by at least an inflationary amount each year. I hate it, but I don't think the conspiracy theorist blogs are going to go wild about it. My understanding is that the 2011 fee was payable regardless of when the licence was (or will be) purchased. In other words, the price won't jump tomorrow, because it already did.

I'm not paranoid about the fees not being printed on the face of the licence. If you haul out your driver's licence, you'll see that it doesn't show the fees either. In fact, the amount allocated to the sportfish fund also increased by roughly 2% from $5.60 to $5.71.

The irony (as I posted earlier in another thread) is that the printing was so late, even though there was no time-sensitive information on the licence itself!

Paul
Hi Paul,
Yeah, the service charge I was referring to was in fact the "User Fee" you mention. Sorry for any confusion. (Although, "Service Charge" does seem more accurate.)

Regarding the fees not being printed on the licence; they have been there for as long as I can remember. Why now would they just arbitrarily decide to change the format of a licence they haven't changed in a decade or more? Nothing is done in government without a reason and somebody higher up giving the okay. Seems like strange timing.

As for the printing of the licences; during the past week I've spent days on the phone and internet trying to get a straight answer about the late licences. I was never told the licences were late from the printers. However, I was told last week that the Hanbook was late going to print. The same Handbook I picked up at the Sports Show on March 11th. In fact, there was more buck passing and excuses for our licences being late than I have heard in a long time.

Terran

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Why now would they just arbitrarily decide to change the format of a licence they haven't changed in a decade or more? Nothing is done in government without a reason and somebody higher up giving the okay.
I assume it was so they could print the licenses before the fee was finalized.

I think the user fees were finalized very late this year. Maybe, out of frustration, somebody responsible for the licence content realized that they better get moving on the printing project and had a eureka moment when they came to the conclusion that they didn't have to print the fee on the licence. Who knows?

Paul

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I haven't noticed this years license because I can't buy one! Is there anywhere in HRM that has them?
There are a few other threads going that identify some places. JC's on Albro Lake Road is where I got mine. Canadian Tire in Sackville and DNR in Waverley are two other vendors where members have purchased licenses. There may be others that I've forgotten or that haven't been reported.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are a few other threads going that identify some places. JC's on Albro Lake Road is where I got mine. Canadian Tire in Sackville and DNR in Waverley are two other vendors where members have purchased licenses. There may be others that I've forgotten or that haven't been reported.

Paul
Thanks, I'll try one of those places

1 - 9 of 9 Posts