Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Eric Baylis, known as "reelman" to members of this forum passed away on Tuesday, 5th April after being treated for lung cancer and related issues at the Dartmouth general Hospital. Eric will be fondly remembered by many members of the Maritime angling community as the former proprietor of Eric's Reel Shop, a master with a fly rod, a master at his tying bench (he has had his flies illustrated on both editions of stamps issued by Canada Post). Eric was a teacher and mentor to all who asked for his help and guidance in all things angling. His knowledge of reels, antique and modern, fly, mooching, baitcasting, spinning, and deep sea, was encyclopaedic. Eric shared his vast knowledge with a generous heart. Those of you who knew him know what a kind gentleman he was. Those of you who never met Eric missed a real treat. Gentle breezes, and many fish in shining waters wherever you are, old friend. You will be missed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry to hear of his passing. I always loved to visit his shop in the garage, what a wonderful museum of old reels and tackle.

·
1,353 Posts
One of the kindest gentleman you would meet! He was missed when he closed shop and now again he has closed shop and will be missed by those who respected and admired him!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well said gentlemen. Eric certainly was inspiration in his knowledge of fishing and fly tying. I enjoyed the conversations I had with him and he will be missed.

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Truly saddened to hear of Eric's passing. Fantastic and knowledgeable Gentleman.

·
Registered
202 Posts
More sad news to hear that former Fishing Fever owner Brian Naugle passed away this week. I worked for Brian and had the greatest respect for him. He will be missed.

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Brian too? Again, enjoyed many hours of conversation with Brian over the years. Great guy.

Sad news once again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts