Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried to go buy worms this morning at my go to gas station, and they told me they were out and weren't getting anymore.

Called fishing fever, same thing. Is this for the whole city/season?

·
Administrator
914 Posts
Could be because mostly trout anglers use worms and the fact that for the month of Sept. all trout fishing is catch and release only and no live bait is allowed. That's my guess as to why most vendors are not restocking themselves with worms.

From Sep 1 to Sep 30, no speckled
trout may be retained and natural bait is prohibited in all waters for all trout species, including Special Trout Management Areas.

·
Registered
751 Posts
From Sep 1 to Sep 30, no speckled
trout may be retained and natural bait is prohibited in all waters for all trout species, including Special Trout Management Areas.
So then that means using a real worm is illegal? Its fake bait or nothing then.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

So to clarify the regulations, does this only apply to trout species? how does this apply to smallmouth bass?

"From Sep 1 to Sep 30, no speckled
trout may be retained and natural bait is prohibited in all waters for all trout species, including Special Trout Management Areas."

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't see any text regarding the use of natural bait in RFA3 for small mouth bass and chain pickerel.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
The wording is peculiar, but the fact that it says "...in all waters for all trout species...", rather than just "for all trout species", made me interpret it as meaning no natural bait while fishing in waters that contain trout, regardless of the target species.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Once again, I say a good well designed row/columns spreadsheet type design would end this endless discussion of poorly worded text. Anyway I am going out to work on me lawn and pitch a hook overboard later.

·
Registered
197 Posts
why would you want to use live bait during the spawn knowing how deep they get hooked and there odds of surviving is very limited when you deep hook a fish and release it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why would you want to use live bait during the spawn knowing how deep they get hooked and there odds of surviving is very limited when you deep hook a fish and release it.
key word: *knowing*

just found out all this stuff after asking the question. Wasn't aware of the spawn/deep hook issue.

To be honest, I've landed literally 2 trout this year. I pretty much only catch bass, so I'm not particularly worried about it. Obviously have no interest in hurting fish, just trying to get some bait that'll work

1 - 13 of 13 Posts