Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone on here does much night fishing. If so is the tackle all the same or are there differences? Do you fish the same areas at night that you do in the day or should i look for something different. Do you normally catch more less bigger or smaller. While out night fishing do you tend to catch other species or is it pretty much bass.

Any other tips or tricks to make it easier or simpler, or if you just want to tell a story that would be great too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was wondering if anyone on here does much night fishing. If so is the tackle all the same or are there differences? Do you fish the same areas at night that you do in the day or should i look for something different. Do you normally catch more less bigger or smaller. While out night fishing do you tend to catch other species or is it pretty much bass.

Any other tips or tricks to make it easier or simpler, or if you just want to tell a story that would be great too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use the same gear with the exception of a glow stick attached to the rod tip to detect strikes. I also use a hat light when landing /releasing a fish or baiting the hooks, being careful not to let the light shine out on the water. I find night tides to be more productive generally, as Stipers like to feed at night. You should know the area you are fishing, checking it out in the day time so you know where to go and what hazards are present. Good luck and happy night time fishing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When talking about night fishing are the most productive times around sun set/sun rise or just completely in the dead of night?

Do you use the glowing beads that ive seen on some rigs or just straight leader and hooks.

Why not let light on the water? Would it be better to fish in complete darkness or is a lantern on shore ok?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Make sure that you have a spot to retreat to as the tide comes up. I find the dollar store glow bracelets work well for glow sticks. I just take a paper clip and heat one end and stick it through the end piece of the bracelet for a hanger. 5 in a pack for a buck, can't go wrong.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i do believe it is illegal to fish at nite using a light on the water.I could be wrong, but is just what i have believed for years.
and the only thing i ever caught at nite was catfish and eels.never fished salt water at nite before,but i agree with skitterpop
about the stripers being active at nite.have a buddy swears by the nite tides.

gl and cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use do do almost all my striper fishing at night and did find that the numbers were higher at night, But also the numbers of skate and spiny dogfish were way above the day tides. But all my Large fish( 3 over 40") were caught before lunch. and just 3-4 days before the full moon tides. But there were many a night without a nibble. its hit and miss night/day/sun/wind/rain. its fishing and its always been a roll of the dice. Snake eyes or sevens you just never know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone catching stripers out at Evangaline beach this late in the season? I saw around 10 guys out there last time I was out at night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts