Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just saw it too will you be doing autographs via email or will wwe have to wait until catch the rainbow, I hope the fame doesn't go to your head lol
Guess we were all lucky on the weekend that we didn't get scolded too
Guess they are just doing there job

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i went and talked to the cops
they had to ask me how thick the ice was
and then they asked me who told me
i told them i check myself

i put the measuring tape to the first 10 holes or more
and got 4in everytime
i told them that no ice should be considered safe
not matter how thick
and should always be treated with caution

they told me that we could be setting a bad example for the kids
so i then sent them to run off the couple kids that had been hanging around for part of the
day but werent brave enough to cross me
when then started to come on the lake and i went and asked them if their
parents knew if the were on the lake
and that if they didnt they shouldnt be on it

i also enformed the police that as far as setting a bad example
i think the bigger problem is people not telling or teaching their
kids anything

i know when i was a kid you couldnt bribe me onto the ice until i got the go ahead
from my grand father who checked every year

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sounds like you handled it well, did the police say they were responding to a complaint, there was a thread on another sight where locals were using this as a tactic to try and stop fishing on "their lake" it was in New England.

Greg

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope they never mentioned anything about a complaint

i would of like a chance to talk to the camera about ice safty
but they didnt seem to want any feed back from the bad boy ice fishermen
running all over the thin ice

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i also enformed the police that as far as setting a bad example
i think the bigger problem is people not telling or teaching their
kids anything

i know when i was a kid you couldnt bribe me onto the ice until i got the go ahead
from my grand father who checked every year"
so true

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi All
Reminds me of the time I was looking over a lake to see if it was perhaps safe and along came a DNR guy all dressed up in a new uniform. I had a spud make from an old axe to cut holes - he looked at it sideways, pulled out a new auger from his truck and marched out on the lake. I followed - at a distance.
Just then he stopped, Turned and said, You'll never cut a hole with that thing. So I gave a jab with the spud and it went right through - all of 2 in of ice. The water flew up in the air as our weight was sinking the ice.
A ghost wouldn't have gotten to shore any faster than he did - and I'm not sure a ghost could have carried an auger.
I came ashore laughing - he jumped in his truck and away - probably for a new pair of DNR pants.
Be careful fellows - the water is cold - I know from experience - made the news a couple of times! ( lol )
Paul

·
Banned
585 Posts
Be careful fellas, don't go out alone this time of year and carry rope or something that floats or can catch air like a smelt box. Also ice picks are a good idea. Could just save your life! We know what it's like to loose people under the ice down here. Don't want to be discussing the "fisherpeople that didn't get away" at the next Meet and Greet. Not sure but maybe that is coming up soon. Be a shame if we were short handed for the event.

Fish shallow coves and don't venture too far, simply not worth it. The ice will come in time. Down here it is still coming and then going. All it takes is a night of good strong wind and a bit higher temps and it's not safe like it could have been the previous day.

Then again I am completely sure that would have been what Shienar would have said to the camera, right Tony?

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be careful fellas, don't go out alone this time of year and carry rope or something that floats or can catch air like a smelt box. Also ice picks are a good idea. Could just save your life! We know what it's like to loose people under the ice down here. Don't want to be discussing the "fisherpeople that didn't get away" at the next Meet and Greet. Not sure but maybe that is coming up soon. Be a shame if we were short handed for the event.

Fish shallow coves and don't venture too far, simply not worth it. The ice will come in time. Down here it is still coming and then going. All it takes is a night of good strong wind and a bit higher temps and it's not safe like it could have been the previous day.

Then again I am completely sure that would have been what Shienar would have said to the camera, right Tony?
you know it:)

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have full confidence in the ability of 4in of good black ice to support me
but like i have said ice should always be assumed to be unsafe and treated
as if it is not.
take no ones word for it, cut lots of holes and measure dont just estimate
bring and use you safety equipment, pay attention to recent weather and be aware of the effect it can have on the
ice try to fish waters that you are familiar with so you are aware of currents rocks submerged vegetation or anything else that can cause in consistent ice
and dont fish alone if you can help it

·
Registered
45 Posts
4IN of good ice is plenty of ice to walk on. But if there's a bad spot, you'll find out in a hurry. lol

Here's a chart I use....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts