Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This being the first season I've worked up the nerve to leave the spinning rod home and use the fly rod. I'm hooked... DEEP! And after spending big money on cheap flies I've decided to try my hand at tying my own. I'm just wondering what tips and tricks the "veterans of the vise" can offer up to a beginner.

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
This being the first season I've worked up the nerve to leave the spinning rod home and use the fly rod. I'm hooked... DEEP! And after spending big money on cheap flies I've decided to try my hand at tying my own. I'm just wondering what tips and tricks the "veterans of the vise" can offer up to a beginner.

Many Thanks!
Well I'm no veteran but I've been tying for about a year. I've noticed it is a lot easier to do than I would have thought, just make sure you get in a lot of practice tying large streamers before you try your hand at tiny 14/16 nymphs or dries. After a few dozen wooly buggers and clousers you should be able to step up to something smaller. Once you get a few months under your belt you will completely forget about store bought flies and save yourself a pretty penny in the long haul.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well I'm no veteran but I've been tying for about a year. I've noticed it is a lot easier to do than I would have thought, just make sure you get in a lot of practice tying large streamers before you try your hand at tiny 14/16 nymphs or dries. After a few dozen wooly buggers and clousers you should be able to step up to something smaller. Once you get a few months under your belt you will completely forget about store bought flies and save yourself a pretty penny in the long haul.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There are a number of groups on Facebook that focus on tying. Everything from the bare basics to the insanely complex is there to be found! I'm a member of one such group and I've found it very educational and informative. I'd be happy to give you the Facebook group link if you would like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Cpt. that is good advise...thanks! Hiltz...nothing particular,just those little things that make it more enjoyable. Coachman... Thats good advise for others... I've had my fill of Facebook so I'll have to pass on that group link...thanks anyway!
Vise came in the mail today... rest of the gear should be here by the weekend. Can't wait to get started!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Youtube is a good resource. There are numerous books out there and several excellent websites as well. Will you be tying trout flies, bass flies, salmon flies or a mixed bag?

Don't pass up the dollar store. I've found many great items there that have found their way into flies.

Above all, don't be afraid to experiment. One fly I "cooked up" is nothing more than a bit of pink polar ice dubbing at the butt and a body of peacock herl. . . I caught two fish with it within minutes of first tying it on.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts

Many Thanks!
I'm just learning myself, and one of the books I've found most helpful is the The Orvis Fly-Tying Guide. I've been borrowing it repeatedly from the library, but also found the full thing online at:

Orvis Fly-Tying Guide

It's written by Tom Rosenbauer and I really like his style.

Regards,
Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
879 Posts
bugman, thats a great step by step, I'm also a new hand at tying and that looks within my grasp, thanks for taking the time.

Greg.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There's lots of tricks you can use. A while back I posted this on the "old" site. Its a method I use for attaching glass bead eyes. So here it is again.

Step-by-Step

·
Registered
806 Posts
great job Bugman. I have a pile of tying books and one of the best and cheapest came from Walmart simply called fly tying Basics. Wooly Buggers are also good basic flies. IMHO the better the materials (esp hackles) the better ur flies will be. Good luck

·
Registered
210 Posts
I mentioned above not to pass up the Dollar Store. There are lots of great items there that lend themselves to fly tying. A while ago I came across this ribbon. Its a very fine mesh, fairly stiff and it doesn't fray when cut. It makes, I think, rather nice wings.

Reactions: Rob70

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Coachman,

I scored some of that wing material from my wife's craft supplies. How do you attach the wings? Do they float naturally or do you have to add floatant?

Paul

·
Registered
210 Posts
Coachman,

I scored some of that wing material from my wife's craft supplies. How do you attach the wings? Do they float naturally or do you have to add floatant?

Paul
I find it floats quite well. A few figure-eight turns and a tiny drop of clear nail polish does the trick. It isn't absorbent like some feathers. A bit of floatant won't hurt. I use a bit of silicone floatant as a matter of course anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts