Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am planning on moving out to Halifax (Sackville or Dartmouth area) this spring / summer from British Columbia. I have to say that where I currently live can't be beat for fishing, quadding, etc...but the wife wants to move back "home". I would really like to duplicate the outdoor opportunities I have here.

I was wondering if anyone on here could steer me in a good direction out there as far as great areas to live which are close to decent freshwater and ice fishing / crown land. I have a pile of belly boats, a pontoon boat and a 10' fg boat with electric motor...mainly fish for trout, but hear there aren't alot of fantastic trout fishing.

The Sackville area is looking the best right now...really want to be able to go fishing after work.

What do you guys think? Sackville area or Dartmouth and east?

Heading out there in a few weeks to check out houses and different areas....i know its the province of lakes, just want to be close to some good ones! Which areas hold which kind of fish too?

Keith

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Keith, welcome to the site. I live in the Sackville area. I do quite a bit of fishing within 30 minutes of home. If you target the fish at the right times you will have no problem catching from April to November. Then there is also the winter fishery. I would be glad to show you some spots when you come down.

G

·
Welcome to the site and Nova Scotia! Although we may not have the same fishing opportunities as in BC, once you get used to it here I think you will find it quite enjoyable. Nova Scotia actually has some excellent trout fishing. We have brook/speckled trout,sea run brook trout, brown trout,sea run brown trout, and rainbow trout. Ice fishing in Nova Scotia is mainly for rainbow trout which are stocked for that purpose on a limited amount of lakes, although there are also lakes open for chain pickerel.If you fly fish I think you will really enjoy fishing for Atlantic salmon. I'm not familiar with the sackville/Dartmouth area so I cant help you there. I hope you enjoy it here!

-Brett

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sackville/Beaverbank/Mt Uniacke area keep you fairly local to everything. Beaverbank and Mt Uniacke have ATV Trails everywhere, lots of lakes/rivers to stop and fish at. That would be your best bet and it is one of the better areas for housing prices in HRM. Welcome to NS hoppefully you get settled quickly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts