Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tips tricks and guidance for new to the area ice water fishermen. I know as a rule fishermen are usually tight with these but so far on this site I've found that we are all like minded and relaxed when we treat it right there is plenty for everyone.

Hi all, I say this every year after my visit to my parents lake in Ontario that I want to get enjoy my new home range the same way in the ice staring at an empty hole through the ice.

Back there we fish Pickerel(walleye) Norther pike, and perch. Then for March break spend the time as a family soaking up the late winter sun and fish for the trouts(mostly lakers)

I see that the regulations have listed lakes. I assume these are the only ones that we can fish? The limits are crazy I'm only after the good time on the ice and maybe enough for a shore lunch.

Back home we use live minnows and still lines, jigging a little but I would to learn some local skills and share some great stories.

If you got sometime and a good story share it here.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good day,

A lot of the lakes open for winter fishing (yes, I understand that the only lakes you can legally fish are those listed in the regulations), are stocked in the fall. May not be the most challenging fishing, but if you get out there early in the season you are pretty much guaranteed some action - the trick is to find some of the larger fish from previous releases before you deep hook and can't release a couple of the eager, fresh from the hatchery, stock that are usually 9" or 10". (You can easily search the list of stocked lakes on the Dept of Fisheries and Aquaculture site if you have not found it already). Chain pickerel can be a lot of fun to fish - especially if you have a flasher - I do a bit of that and have had luck at Fish Lake, Cogmagun pond, (Lily Lake) and Lake Egmont. Have not fished the Dartmouth lakes for them but I know folks do OK in the summer time there. If you have not run into a chain pickerel yet they are basically a miniature pike (max out at about 30" and similar, extensive bone structure- hard to fillet but not bad eating if you are patient with the knife. If the weather remains cold you might consider some salt water smelt fishing - Musquodoboit Harbour can be a good spot. Have also fished them at the mouth of the LaHave River but the run was poor there last year and there was some concerns about pollution at the mouth of the river downstream from Bridgewater. They also fish them at Oyster Pond and I am sure there are a few other inlets around that I have not tried (or found yet). They also fish larger freshwater smelts in Grand Lake, (have not tried that yet either- but I believe there is a thread here somewhere in the forum if you want to look in to that).

Best of luck on the NS Ice - which I would caution is definitely not as thick as the Ont. ice so be careful out there - particularly if you try the saltwater ice fishing as the tides add a whole other variable.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Was on Meadow Pond yesterday for a short am fish . Took a while but landed one rainbow, with several good hits in 14 feet of water,right on bottom, 6in of ice and it was very cold .

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I guess my post disappeared, I was again on Meadow last Wed. pm We all caught are limit by 4:30 started at 3:30pm .I was the last to catch my two. But the last one was a slab. that's what you get when you spend time getting other into fish first.I had lots of hits but if your not right there to set the hook no fish.It was mild and the hits were at 8ft. you could see your bait.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hit Meadow on Fri 3 pm. Had my limit in 20 min Catch and Release for the next 1.5 h. Home by 5pm< Ice was 6in thick very mild and by myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts