Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im new to the city in my second year at dal looking for some information on lakes worth fishing close to Halifax as i live in the city and dont have a car. I am interested in knowing what lakes are stocked or worth fishing that would have to be within a biking or busing distance from Halifax. I live on wellington street so the closer the better. Also i would love to have some one to go with would be willing to pay gas money. Any info would be great thanks.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Although I live in Waverley, I do get into Halifax now & again. When the water gets a little softer, I could probably be persuaded to pick a fellow up and give him a lift to a lake so he could wet a line. If we got on together, I would probably even drop him home again!!. Let me know if you are interested. Regards....

·
457 Posts
not sure about how long you would be on the bus
but kearny lake would be a good spot

but where your located saltwater would be the way to go
the ol harbour is looking pretty good lately

and you can do pretty good for mackerel pollack and herring down around point pleasant park

also add me to your friends and ill be intouch when the season opens
always looking for a new fishing buddy

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hey im new to the city in my second year at dal looking for some information on lakes worth fishing close to Halifax as i live in the city and dont have a car. I am interested in knowing what lakes are stocked or worth fishing that would have to be within a biking or busing distance from Halifax. I live on wellington street so the closer the better. Also i would love to have some one to go with would be willing to pay gas money. Any info would be great thanks.
Hi;

Lots of guys on this site will be happy to hook up with you when the time comes. Just post that you need a buddy with trans. and say what you want to fish for and what days you are free.

Failing that, take a bus to Spryfield and fish Long Lake, MacIntosh Run, Williams lake, Frog Pond, or hike into Colpitt lake. Now, I haven't fished any of this water for a long time, so if they have been ruined, people will, I hope, let us know. Here is the interactive map of the area--

http://www.roadsidethoughts.com/ns/spryfield-map.htm

Other than that you could take a bus to the Dartmouth lakes.

But I'm sure you'll make friends here. I'd help you out myself, but I'm too old and slow for someone of college age.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi;

Lots of guys on this site will be happy to hook up with you when the time comes. Just post that you need a buddy with trans. and say what you want to fish for and what days you are free.

Failing that, take a bus to Spryfield and fish Long Lake, MacIntosh Run, Williams lake, Frog Pond, or hike into Colpitt lake. Now, I haven't fished any of this water for a long time, so if they have been ruined, people will, I hope, let us know. Here is the interactive map of the area--

http://www.roadsidethoughts.com/ns/spryfield-map.htm

Other than that you could take a bus to the Dartmouth lakes.

But I'm sure you'll make friends here. I'd help you out myself, but I'm too old and slow for someone of college age.

cheers,

chuck
Long Lake MIGHT not be allowed to be fished in, water supply or something.. I remember getting yelled at when I was younger for fishing there lol. Also, I definitely wouldn't keep any fish out of macintosh run or anything it runs into, it is very polluted (and dead bodies are found in there sometimes lol) so just be careful eating anything out of spryfield! I'd be happy to pick you up and go for a fish some time. If you feel like ice-fishing I will probably be going out to Fish Lake (which is near Fall River) either tomorrow or Saturday at some point pickerel fishing. I've got all the gear so you wouldn't need any ice gear (unless you've got your own you wanted to bring) Text me 233-4687 or message me here, if you don't feel like going that far we could find somewhere else to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[quote name='Billy' date='04 March 2011 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1299217401' post='10745']
Also, I definitely wouldn't keep any fish out of macintosh run or anything it runs into, it is very polluted (and dead bodies are found in there sometimes lol) so just be careful eating anything out of spryfield!

Quite a number of years ago I tried fishing in the Western and it proved to be unsuccessful. This is quite unfortunate because supposedly this lake use to hold some very large trout, much like the rest of the Macintosh Run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Long Lake MIGHT not be allowed to be fished in, water supply or something.. I remember getting yelled at when I was younger for fishing there lol. Also, I definitely wouldn't keep any fish out of macintosh run or anything it runs into, it is very polluted (and dead bodies are found in there sometimes lol) so just be careful eating anything out of spryfield! I'd be happy to pick you up and go for a fish some time. If you feel like ice-fishing I will probably be going out to Fish Lake (which is near Fall River) either tomorrow or Saturday at some point pickerel fishing. I've got all the gear so you wouldn't need any ice gear (unless you've got your own you wanted to bring) Text me 233-4687 or message me here, if you don't feel like going that far we could find somewhere else to go.
That sounds good i would of went but i didn't see the message until tonight. Haven't been ice fishing in years. How was ice fishing did you end up getting anything?

·
Registered
575 Posts
That sounds good i would of went but i didn't see the message until tonight. Haven't been ice fishing in years. How was ice fishing did you end up getting anything?
No we ran into an old friend and ended up talking for over an hour and only got to fish for a little bit before dark. I did have a couple bites though. My schedule is pretty easy going, I am unemployed right now and have classes tues/thurs after 330, but other than that if there's any time you wanted to go for a fish let me know and I'd probably be free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok that sounds good i am in a work term right now and i dont get home till 6 30 Monday to Friday so i can only go sat or Sunday so if the ice is still safe let me know if u want to go for a fish this weekend.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ok that sounds good i am in a work term right now and i dont get home till 6 30 Monday to Friday so i can only go sat or Sunday so if the ice is still safe let me know if u want to go for a fish this weekend.
It's supposed to rain all weekend and go up to 9 degrees so I'd say ice fishing's all done, we'll have to wait til April 1 and hope all the ice is gone. At this rate it should be

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Billy,

If the "winter lakes" have open water before April 1, you're still allowed to fish them even though it isn't through the ice.

Paul

Reactions: pmorris
1 - 14 of 14 Posts