Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive fky fished a few times before and i really want to get into it this year. I wanna buy a decent rod and reel but im not sure what i should buy. Where has the best prices? And what size should i get? any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ive fky fished a few times before and i really want to get into it this year. I wanna buy a decent rod and reel but im not sure what i should buy. Where has the best prices? And what size should i get? any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
What will you be using it for, ie. species, lake or stream

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you are thinking of just general fly fishing in Nova Scotia, the standard beginners rod is a 6 or 7 weight outfit. The importance of the word "outfit" can not be over-stated, a fly rod and line with the reel all have to match each other as to weight (which is the weight of the line) and this effects the size of the fly you can cast. A really good idea, if you haven't tried fly fishing before, is to go with an experienced fly fishing friend or to a lesson before you go out and purchase, as you will quickly then understand that some things sold in large stores rhyming with Canadian Mire and Fall-Mart may not be the best way to go. Fishing Fever in the city is a good place to look, and they are helpful, as would be the fly fishing lessons from Dennis at Atlantic Fly Fishing school. If that isn't possible, find someone on here near you to help out.
To research, Orvis has a wonderful online freebie - Orvis beginner's guide to fly fishing
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Registered
173 Posts
agree with flyfish.6-7 wt. recomend the 6 myself. but thats a personal preference.

and you can throw just about any trout fly out there.

good in the wind too.

I still love my 5wt for rivers though.I even use it for shad.(what a fight)LOL

good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
The one thing I'll point out with the big brands are their warranties. When I started out fly fishing a few years ago the low end Sage was the Launch, I think I paid somewhere around $200 for the rod (I bought a 6wt as recommended). I figured: if I like fly fishing, I will surely break it. If I do not like it, I can sell it and recover some of the price. Well, I loved fly fishing. And I broke it. Sage replaced it with absolutely no hassle, so I still have my "beginner" rod and it casts almost as good as my higher end Sage rod (VT2).

For reels, I am a fan of the Lamson line. I have a Velocity and love it but the Konic is fairly affordable.

If you want to spend a little more to get a warranty, I've been very happy with Sage. I think the Launch has been discontinued and replaced with the Vantage. Incidentally, Cabelas appears to have a 9' 6wt Sage VT2 for almost half price right now, and with the dollar so high, its a pretty good deal ($275).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Evan88,
Were are you located? I'm in the Valley and if you just want to get started I may have some stuff at my house I could "hook" you up with for next to nothing.
I think I have a Berkley Cherry wood 8ft fly rod ,new ,as well as a new line and maybe even a used reel, I could probally tie you some basic flies as well.
Not looking to make a whole lot of money, just stuff I don't need and always like seeing someone else get started in the sport. This way if you don't end up liking it or whatever, your not out hundreds of $'s.
Just a thought,
Let me know and I'll start digging around.
Peter

·
Registered
523 Posts
snip
I disagree, to some extent, with Bill, wrt CTC and Wally World. True, most of their fly gear is junk, especially the 'Superfly' crap, but not only. But hidden in the junk is one brand I've used for years, at least the rods, and that is "Cahill" or "Crystal River"--same rod, different names.
I don't know if "Crystal River" still exists, but "Cahill does, and they are a few bucks cheaper [$50/$60] at CTC than at Wally's. That's a long way from spending $300 to $600 bucks for a "name" in a specialty store.

chuck
Hi all-
What Chuck says is part of the issue I have with CTC and WM - yes, the $50-60 stuff is there, but it still not really good gear, and a beginner has no way to know what is OK and what isn't. Just one example - many of the "kits" sold at these places come with a level fly line, which is very difficult to cast, a beginner should have a good weight forward line. To really see if they like fly fishing, and to minimize issues, beginners kits should be of good enough quality that it doesn't impinge on learning, and trust me, I have taught hundreds of people to fly fish (through the school system - Grade 3's and up!), you need a certain level of gear to succeed. You don't need to spend $600 either, though I agree.
Last year I sold several people a complete Temple Forks Outfitters outfit - that's rod, reel, line, backing and leader for under $250. TFO is North American and they have a No-Fault Warranty that is for the life of the original registered owner. If any of these folks are still on here, perhaps they would comment - I don't know where one could now get one locally, but I would look into getting similar for anyone if they wished. The only issue, as I was suggesting, is that it is better to cast a rod around a bit and see if you can get a feel for what you might like to fish for and what might work the best for you - this is where some advice/trying out is worthwhile. I would also say that despite one poster's experience at FF, I have never had that problem with them, I have found them to be very good.
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi all-
What Chuck says is part of the issue I have with CTC and WM - yes, the $50-60 stuff is there, but it still not really good gear, and a beginner has no way to know what is OK and what isn't. Just one example - many of the "kits" sold at these places come with a level fly line, which is very difficult to cast, a beginner should have a good weight forward line. To really see if they like fly fishing, and to minimize issues, beginners kits should be of good enough quality that it doesn't impinge on learning, and trust me, I have taught hundreds of people to fly fish (through the school system - Grade 3's and up!), you need a certain level of gear to succeed. You don't need to spend $600 either, though I agree.
Last year I sold several people a complete Temple Forks Outfitters outfit - that's rod, reel, line, backing and leader for under $250. TFO is North American and they have a No-Fault Warranty that is for the life of the original registered owner. If any of these folks are still on here, perhaps they would comment - I don't know where one could now get one locally, but I would look into getting similar for anyone if they wished. The only issue, as I was suggesting, is that it is better to cast a rod around a bit and see if you can get a feel for what you might like to fish for and what might work the best for you - this is where some advice/trying out is worthwhile. I would also say that despite one poster's experience at FF, I have never had that problem with them, I have found them to be very good.
Hope that helps,
Bill
Hi Bill;

All in all, what you say is right on, but I stand by my support for Crystal River/Cahill fly rods. The Berkely, Superfly, and other rods sold in CTC, Wally's, etc., are junk. Especially if the come as "a complete beginners package" in a kit. A real rip-off.

Now, if a beginner knows that Loomis, Sage, Reddington, St.Croix, Orvis, etc., etc., etc. are great brand names, and he/she can get the kind of deal you had with TFO, or find a sale on a good name online, then lucky them. But that requires knowing the true 'regular' price before you think you're getting a bargain, but ain't. Same applies to second hand. And that takes 'shopping around' on-line.

If the 'Crystal River Cahill' line is no longer available, I would look for a bargain on-line, and then, [BEFORE buying], post details here for feedback.
I got a couple rods online from Albright on sale, less than half price, and I'm quite happy with them. [But I might not recommend the company, as the 'chat' online is that their 'customer service' is on a par with Fishing Fever's [as per Zepp & myself]. Tho' Albright has been fine with me, so far.] Anyway, there are bargains out there, and e-bay is worth checking after you've done your homework.

IMHO. Agreed?

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Bill;

All in all, what you say is right on, but I stand by my support for Crystal River/Cahill fly rods.
IMHO. Agreed?

cheers,

chuck
HI there-
I understand what you're saying and agree that there are some good deals to be had, but I do feel that the beginner's outfit should be a bit better then much of the stuff being marketed out there. That's why I think it is important for someone starting out to get help and advice from someone knowledgable about the sport to assist. I also think that, in my experience anyway, it is MUCH more likely a beginner will be the one taking advantage of a good warranty - like TFO and many of the high end rods unfortunately, have - which is a no questions asked guarantee. I like the deals as much as anyone, but again, I'd simply state that it is much easier to learn to fly fish with a proper outfit, not cheap stuff. Cahill makes a half decent set-up, but they are one of the ones that sometimes come packaged with a cheapo plastic reel and a level fly line. On a more technical note, Cahill's like CTC sell are VERY slow action, which also doesn't suit many people's casting stroke. A size large guy or gal with good upper body strength would be much better off learning with a tip flex rod. Again, why the "try before you buy" mantra is so important. Then, if you find a rod you like no matter where it is sold, go for it with confidence.
Yes?
Bill

·
Banned
767 Posts
HI there-
I understand what you're saying and agree that there are some good deals to be had, but I do feel that the beginner's outfit should be a bit better then much of the stuff being marketed out there. That's why I think it is important for someone starting out to get help and advice from someone knowledgable about the sport to assist. I also think that, in my experience anyway, it is MUCH more likely a beginner will be the one taking advantage of a good warranty - like TFO and many of the high end rods unfortunately, have - which is a no questions asked guarantee. I like the deals as much as anyone, but again, I'd simply state that it is much easier to learn to fly fish with a proper outfit, not cheap stuff. Cahill makes a half decent set-up, but they are one of the ones that sometimes come packaged with a cheapo plastic reel and a level fly line. On a more technical note, Cahill's like CTC sell are VERY slow action, which also doesn't suit many people's casting stroke. A size large guy or gal with good upper body strength would be much better off learning with a tip flex rod. Again, why the "try before you buy" mantra is so important. Then, if you find a rod you like no matter where it is sold, go for it with confidence.
Yes?
Bill
Hi Bill;

Couldn't agree more about contacting someone knowledgeable [and with no personal axe to grind] for advice. Certainly people like yourself on this site are a good place to start. And it is always best to get a 'money back, no questions asked, 30+ day return policy' to try out gear and see if it suits you.

All I'm saying is that someone who 'thinks' they may enjoy fly fishing has no business forking out hundreds of dollars for gear that may end up in the back of a closet. And the same goes for trash that was bought just because 'the price was right'.

I'll repeat that these 'beginners' kits' sold in 'sporting goods' departments are junk to be avoided. In fact most of that stuff is to be avoided. I just made an exception for one brand of fly rod, the Crystal River Cahill. I did not know they also came in kits, and I wouldn't recommend a Crystal River reel, IAC. I have 3 different wts. of Cahill rods, a 5/6, a 6/7/ and a 7/8, and they all have medium fast action. I like them, they cast easily, and they've landed good fish, [altho' no really big fish, I confess
]. I also have a Berkely that is dead slow. I never use it. But maybe the kit Cahills are slow, as you say. Personally I would not recommend a truly fast rod to a beginner, but not a slow action, either. Medium fast works for me.

As for warranties, most cost money; either up front or when you return the rod for repairs. I have seen companies that charge $60 US for 'postage and handling' when you return their rod for a 'free' warranty repair/replacement. That needs to be checked out prior to purchase.

Anyway, you and I agree on everything but Cahill and TFO. I haven't been impressed favourably by what I've read about TFO. I'd rather go St. Croix, I think.

cheers,

chuck

PS--What do you think about the new possible 'cruise' ship, Portland to Yarmouth?--cf

·
Registered
195 Posts
As long as your not looking for something for salmon I would recommed the 6wt as well. One name I never see when someone asks about a combo to start out is Martin. I've used Martin rods and would definitly recomend to anyone starting out or anyone who doesn't want to dish out the money for a rod from a big name company.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi all,
I just wanted to add about the St Croix vs TFO comment -
This is why I turned to TFO. St Croix makes very good rods, I really liked them and used them for about 10 years. A few of my clients broke their rod tips and that's where the issue came. St. Croix has a warranty not a guarantee - they will replace or repair at their option any rod that has a "manufacturers flaw" causing the rod to break. Three clients of mine had rods break when fighting fish, and in each case St. Croix determined it was "user's" fault. Now, this could be true - how many times have I nicked a rod tip with a weighted shad fly or something, which I agree would weaken the rod, but in any case St. Croix declined to repair or replace, in each instance they simply said they would give the client a few bucks for the rod and they could then purchase a replacement. I found that enough of my clients complained about this that I switched off of St Croix. This warranty of St. Croix's (and others) is very different from Orvis, who I still work with, who guarantee the rod for 25 years - that's guarantee against anything = car doors, kids stepping on your rod, flies stuck in trees, etc. The thing that attracted me so much to TFO is they have the same guarantee - it is a "lifetime of the original owner" deal where if you buy the rod and register it, it's guaranteed until the rod isn't yours any longer. This is similar to some high end rods, and is the same coverage outfits like LL Bean's did so well with. That kind of guarantee is worth something, in my mind anyway. I still use higher-end Orvis rods, but Bean's, TFO and others with this kind of "back-up" are worth considering I feel, and they can be purchased quite reasonably - a Bean's outfit ( see here) for <$150 .
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi Bill;

I'm enjoying our conversation, and learning a lot. I like Orvis a lot; it's just finding a dealer that has been a problem for me. Do you sell Orvis? The L.L. Bean outfit looks like a very good starter kit, especially with a 4 piece rod!

I am not trying to sell St. Croix, just looking for the best value for money. And their warranty plans

http://www.stcroixrods.com/category/service_and_warranty

are admittedly expensive [$50 plus $20]. The "upgrade" plan is a new one on me. Don't know what to think of it.

I can see that warranties are a big deal once you start spending serious money on gear. Which I am not yet prepared to do, but I'll start on warranty researching anyway. Something to do, since I'm not big fan of ice-fishing.

Hoping to hear more from you on the subject.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi there-
Chuck - that is a new one on me too! The "silver" one looks like the original -
"SILVER STAR SERVICE PLAN
The fact that you're reading this probably means you've got a damaged rod. Rest assured that our goal is to get you fishing with it again as soon as possible. Now, if you're convinced that our error led to its demise and you know the warranty has not expired, then our Silver Star Plan is your best solution. Here's how it works.
1. Write a note explaining the problem. Send the note, a check for $20* and your entire rod to St. Croix. We suggest using our Discount Shipping Program, which is described elsewhere on this page.
2. If your rod was damaged due to faulty workmanship, then of course we will cover the cost of the repair or replacement during the warranty period.
3. However, if evidence indicates that the damage is due to an accident, normal wear or neglect, then we'll advise you of the additional cost to repair or replace your rod."

The key to this being the statement "f you're convinced that our error led to its demise". That means, like my clients found, they will simply replace the rod and charge you some (amount determined by original price of rod, etc.) and get you a new one - and to be fair to St. Croix, they did do this. The Gold and Gold Plus look more like an Orvis or similar (Bean's, TFO etc.) deal - they even mention the car door bit. However, Orvis, Beans and TFO (and others) give this to you for free (well, except it's in the price of the rod, of course).

You have it exactly correct, it's when you start spending upwards of a few hundred bucks for a rod that this becomes important - but then you have Beans and TFO who sell that kind of Guarantee on ALL their rods (and Beans actually on all their stuff!). My brother had a 20 year old Beans salmon rod become unwrapped on a couple of guides, he came up here from Pennsylvania via Freeport, took it into Beans and asked if they could help - they gave him a new rod! Now THAT'S customer satisfaction! He felt so bad, he bought a bunch of other stuff, and that's how Beans stays in business. I simply didn't like the attitude that St. Croix displayed, but again, I love their rods and I still own several - but I also have to admit, I fish mainly with my Orvis stuff now, just because they're so good to deal with. I did a similar thing to my brother with a pair of waders - wore them for three seasons, guiding this is - so that's like 200 or more days in the three years... - and when they became worn I e-mailed and asked if they had something to patch them with. Orvis wrote right back and asked me to send them back. I did, and a new pair crossed the old pair in the mail - I got the brand new pair in about 4 days! If you want to make a customer happy and become loyal, that's how you do it. I don't sell Orvis, but there are Canadian Orvis dealers and of course with the dollar the way it is, you can always order from them direct.

Hope that helps,

Bill

·
Registered
806 Posts
Crystal River rods suck!!! Do not buy fly gear at Walmart.
I would go with a low end St Croix rod and Okuma reel. Call Bryce at Vimy Ridge Outfitters in Aylesford (847-1134) and tell him Robbie sent you.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have ALWAYS been treated with respect and courtesy by Brian Osgood at Fishing Fever. Regards.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts