Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 except Special Bass
Management Areas and the following:
Halifax County, east of Highway 102 and its
junction with Highway 118 and its junction
with Highway 111, closed all year
except the following lakes: Bissett, Charles,
Loon, Micmac, Miller, Morris, Porters and
Russell.

There's been a few threads discussing this but I can't quite figure it out for sure. Any help?

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Hey all
I'm still pretty confused about the new regs;

Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 except Special Bass
Management Areas and the following:
Halifax County, east of Highway 102 and its
junction with Highway 118 and its junction
with Highway 111, closed all year
except the following lakes: Bissett, Charles,
Loon, Micmac, Miller, Morris, Porters and
Russell.

There's been a few threads discussing this but I can't quite figure it out for sure. Any help?
I ended up looking at it on a map. The demarcation line starts at the 102 at its northernmost point in Halifax County. It goes south until it reaches the 118 at Fall River. It then follows the 118 until it reaches the 111 at the parclo in Dartmouth and then follows the 111 to its end at the harbour.

Halifax County lakes west of the demarcation line are open for SMB from April 1 to October 31 (Grand Lake is open until December 31). Lakes east of the demarcation line are closed unless they are included in the list of exceptions you posted.

For example, Miller Lake is right at the junction of the 102 and the 118. Since it is east of the demarcation line it would be closed were it not for being explicitly listed as open.

It gets interesting as the 118 winds toward the 111. Lake William is on the west side, but Charles and MicMac are on the east side. All three lakes will be open because the two lakes on the east side are explicitly listed.

Incidentally, I have a call in to DNR to see whether the portions of the Shubenacadie Canal between Lakes William, Charles, and MicMac will be open or closed. Since they join three open lakes, one would think they should be OK; however, the canal crosses over to the east side of the 118 part way between William and Charles, so I want some clarification.

Paul

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

Just to be absolutely clear--this demarcation applies solely to smallmouth bass, and no other species, right?

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think another thing to consider to is, I dont think it is possible to convict someone of fishing smallmouth bass in a closed season unless your are keeping them as you could be fishing for anything right ? Trout, Perch, Bullhead and I don`t think using this "white-lie" defense is unsporting as using the same kind of defense to target salmon. Smallmouth Bass are meant to be targeted and I am probably gonna target them whever I want as long as there is an open season for sportfish in that water. Unless someone can explain to me how that could be detrimental to the fishery.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pmorris.
Please let me know if you find out the info on those canal portions.

I guess it just seems like a big swath of territory to be closed

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Thanks Pmorris.
Please let me know if you find out the info on those canal portions.

I guess it just seems like a big swath of territory to be closed
Will do re: the canal.

I hear you, but we can also think of it as a big swath of trout territory to be protected. It will hopefully serve as a strong disincentive for anybody thinking of dumping a bucket of SMB into a trout lake east of the line.

Still plenty of great SMB lakes west of the demarcation line and the lakes that were "grandfathered" east of the demaraction line make sense to me.

As a multi-species angler, I like to think of it as a good compromise.

Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
288 Posts
is it so hard to have colour coded maps showing where, when and what species you can fish. Christ, you need a law degree to read these things

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Luciano....totally agree

@Pmorris....Honestly I just started getting into angling last year or so, so I don't really know which lakes would considered 'trout lakes' etc. I guess....also never really knew that there were people dumping bass into lakes.

I'm mostly worried about being on the wrong lake with the wrong gear. As noted above the way it's worded makes it more complicated than it seems

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
is it so hard to have colour coded maps showing where, when and what species you can fish.
It's probably quite hard to do such a thing in hard copy, but an on-line interactive map would be doable. Pull-down menus for the date and species could highlight the open water.

Paul

·
Registered
288 Posts
an on-line interactive map would be doable. Pull-down menus for the date and species could highlight the open water.

Paul
OK When can you have them ready...LOL That would be a great idea, but I doubt anyone in government would put that much foresight into it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So does this mean the following lake are closed for SMB for the year?
Rocky Lake, Powder Mill Lake, Lake Thomas, Lake William, Anderson Lake as well as a few other little lakes.
Can someone please make sense of this for the rest of us who seem confused by this?
Thanks.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
So does this mean the following lake are closed for SMB for the year?
Rocky Lake, Powder Mill Lake, Lake Thomas, Lake William, Anderson Lake as well as a few other little lakes.
Can someone please make sense of this for the rest of us who seem confused by this?
Thanks.
All five of the lakes you mentioned will be open for SMB fishing because they are WEST of the demarcation line.

Bear in mind that the 102 only serves as the demarcation line until its junction with the 118 at Fall River.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
26 Posts
so does this mean that we cannot fish in these lakes at all or just that if we happen to catch a smallmouth bass in these lakes then we have to release it?

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
so does this mean that we cannot fish in these lakes at all or just that if we happen to catch a smallmouth bass in these lakes then we have to release it?
Good question for DNR and/or the River Watch folks. Here's my best guess:

1. If the lake doesn't hold any other species of sport fish that are in season, you can't fish it at all.
  2. If it holds other species of sport fish that are in season, any SMB that you hook as "by-catch" must be released.
  3. You should not "target" SMB in these lakes, and your tackle may indicate your intentions. For example, it would be tough to support an intention of targeting 8" brook trout if you're throwing a 5" Senko on a hot August afternoon; however, your intentions would be less clear if using tackle suitable for multiple species (e.g., casting a woolly bugger with a 6-weight fly rod).
Just my personal thoughts; any others?

Paul

·
Registered
249 Posts
my thoughts are what is the intention ? To presuade people into doing less smallmouth bass fishing or protect smallmouth bass ? because both seem kind of silly to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts