Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rarely get lucky on auction sites, but recently I was fortunate enough to pick up a NOS Farlow's Cobra. I suspect it was built in the 60's and at the time Farlow was competing with Hardy. The build quality in this reel is not quite up to the standards of a Hardy St. George for example, but it is a light weight reel for its size and very well constructed. I like the elegant design and the nod to the Hardy elements such as the burled rim. This one is the narrow width model, so the inside diameter of the drum is 3/4". It has a large line capacity so I think it will wind up with a WF7 and hang on my Fenwick FF806. Note the unusual spring configuration. -Roy

·
1,353 Posts
Good Find! Great looking reel. I was surprized to see the spare pawl as I have only seen then on a Hardy. Looks every bit as good as a new Hardy. Who knows might be better!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Perry. The build quality is good on these reels but the tolerances are not quite up to Hardy's standards. Some of the older pre-war Farlow reels could be a match though. It is still a good reel for a #6 or 7 line with lots of backing and nice to find one in this condition. The pawls are symmetrical so it can be set up for left or right hand wind but it seems to need some tweaking of the springs. Right now the pay out and retrieve are almost the same. Have to be careful though as these are reportedly brittle and can break if bent to much or too fast. Probably a hell of a job finding this type of spring too. Great article on striper fishing in tidal areas by the way; wish I wasn't so far inland! -Roy

·
1,353 Posts
Glad you enjoyed the article journeyman. No need to worry about the springs. One of the springs and pawls is the spare in case the other breaks, so you have a parts dept. built into the reel. If you want to switch from RH wind to Lh wind remove the pawl and turn it upside down and put it back under the spring. If you ever need replacement of any part I am sure reelman on the site can help you out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts