Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been in NS for a few years now (military) and i have had a little success ice fishing, but this year and last i have been trying to get the young fella out at it ( he is 5 in 2 weeks) and he is really enjoying it. But.. I want to take him some spots where he can really haul a few in and mabye even take 1 or 2 home to cook with MOM, Ive done Penhorn and the Albro's but want somthing new. The length of the drive dosent really matter as long as its a good go.
Does any body have some advice for a feller who is trying to "hook" the next generation on our sport.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shortts lake in Brookfield usually produces for me. I usually always catch something. It is loaded with pickerel and also has some nice smallmouth. Lake currently has about 10 inches of ice. I find gulp alive leeches(lake is loaded) or mister twister on a small jig head seems to work the best but have caught them on just about everything. There is a small inlet swamp out to the right of the boat launch that seems to hold a large amount of pickerel but the bass are out in the main lake in the deep spots.

If you haven't tryed eating pickerel caught out of the ice I would recommend it. Nice flakey white meat with a mild taste, just alot of bones to get through.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I actually tried Pickeral, but not out of winter waters, people say they don't taste good but their actually not bad at all, the trick is to cook it right- in the oven slow cook and marinate with lemon, never fry it and the same goes with Bass.

Please people when you catch a pickeral over 15 inches-Kill It, their doing more harm than good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts