Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I have been fly fising for the last two years, and have mainly used streamers. I love intimate small stream fishing and wading and have recently discovered some incredible fishing streams. The streams I fish hold mainly browns and the occasionally a nice brookie. I really want to start mastering dry fly fishing along with nymphing. I am wondering what weight rod people would suggest along with the length and action. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd go 4wt or 5wt if you have some descent size browns in there, I like a short rod 7 1/2 foot for small streams. It's really personal preferance too. I have a number of different rods, for really small streams with descent pan size trout, up to 15", I usually use my 6' 2wt. This coming winter I'm building a 7'6" 5wt boo for small stream fishing, something new to play with.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Woolybugger,
That bamboo rod sounds nice. I have been thinking about a similar rod but given the cost of them you would see a grown man cry if I ever busted a tip....lol. Please take some pics of the rod when you finish it and let us see the finished product. I really enjoy wading small streams using light rods.
Thanks to another fly fisherman I have found a nice little stream close by that I will try with my 7', #3weight rod. As I don't keep any trout my impact on the stream should be minimal but will yield a wonderful time for me. I would really like to try a bamboo rod but don't know of anyone who has one. There are many listed for sale on Ebay from China that look and sound interesting but I hate to go that route. Most of the other I have found are more costly than my Sage and some by many $000's. Good luck with your project.

I'd go 4wt or 5wt if you have some descent size browns in there, I like a short rod 7 1/2 foot for small streams. It's really personal preferance too. I have a number of different rods, for really small streams with descent pan size trout, up to 15", I usually use my 6' 2wt. This coming winter I'm building a 7'6" 5wt boo for small stream fishing, something new to play with.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Troutin,
I would concur with Woolybugger on the weight and length of the rod. The 2 rods I use on small streams are a 7',#3weight and a 7 1/2',#4weight. These rods will handle all but the really large trout so If you are getting into large browns you may need to bump the rod weight a bit.
I enjoy the smaller streams as well and on a light rod it can be soooooo much fun. The peace, quiet and solitude are priceless especially if you add catching trout to that equation. Good luck with your selection and enjoy the glorious solitude of a small trout stream.

Hey All,
I have been fly fising for the last two years, and have mainly used streamers. I love intimate small stream fishing and wading and have recently discovered some incredible fishing streams. The streams I fish hold mainly browns and the occasionally a nice brookie. I really want to start mastering dry fly fishing along with nymphing. I am wondering what weight rod people would suggest along with the length and action. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I found some descent boo blanks, from what I hear they're nice rods. Will cost me about the same to build as buying a high end sage rod. I will post some pics when I get it done, it's going to be a winter project. Where I'm located here in Alberta there's a lot of small creeks with grayling up to 14" and decided it's time for a new rod.
Now if I can just find myself a golden stone nymph for the inlay.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sage rods are ok if you have the money, but it sounds like he's just starting and it may be more than what he's willing to pay. There are some nice rods in the lower rang of $100-$200. TFO from what I hear have some nice rods, Ross also makes some nice rods in that price range. If your going to spend the money on a Sage rod I would look into a custom rod first.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here ya go Tim, Insect Inlays. I was thinking about trying a golden stone on a cork real seat with REC hardware.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My two bits worth:
Several years ago I built a Hardy Fibatube 6' 3wt glass rod. This was my first attempt at rod building and it actually turned out really well.
I think that you can still get similar blanks from Lamiglas and from one of the guys who sells on EBay. They're not hard to build up and for small streams they're perfect. It's well worth while learning how to build your own.
I can't cast anything much bigger than a #10 with mine and about 30' is my distance but for a small stream what else do you need. If you happen upon a deep hole and Mr Brown comes a callin' or if you're out west and suddenly a 10 lb bull trout pops out of nowhere , you break him off (cause you're only going to be using 2 or 3 lb tippet) and when you get done laughing, gear up and look for the next one.
Hey Bugger - you seeing any grayling in Fox Creek?
Tight Lines
MZ

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lots of greyling, had a few good days on a couple creeks when they openned the middle of last month. Mostly towards Whitecourt. Waiting for the fall for Little Smokey, it's usually best then. It's not as good as it use to be, but it's still a nice river to fish with a chance of a big bull.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bugman,still using that green rod with the blank you got from me?? Thinking i may take up the "build" very soon...too tempting not to,LOL.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am thinking of going with a 4 weight. My father may be taking a trip to cabelas soon. i am thinking about a TFO rod. What length would be best? I am thinking 8ft?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have 2 5wts , one is a loop aeg series and the other is a tfo signature series. They both are good rods but the loop is my go to rod forsure and is simply a better rod. I have used them both on the bow river and have caught fish from 10 inches to 26 inches as well as a few small pike. They cast small emergers and big heavy clousers fine. However if your fishing areas that are cast restricting, and i would deff drop down to an 8'4wt even maybe a 3wt. Maybe a reddington cpx or a TFO would suit. They are quality rods for their price. Stay away from canadian tire and walmart. They only sell crap especially if you plan on using you rod alot. They will hinder casting and quality rods are more responsive helping you to cast better quicker( once you get used to fly casting and understand the fundamentals)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts