Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIRST UP... He's handsome, he's got attitude and he's tasty. His name is...

The punk rocker from down deep, this guy's got style and personality written all over him. Who am I?

Sardine, Smelt or Herring. Take a guess... it's not that hard. My name is, my name is, my name is?

Slick, sleek, tasty and loaded up on Omega 3. 10 points for my calling card?

Gag, puke, vomit... Big, nasty and expensive. My skin is brown but my flesh is white. Flaky and tasty. My friends call me? (this is an easy one so you'll need to be specific)

Name me and you're real good. No, I'm not an anchovy, but yes someone did take a "bite outta crime"...

Brother from another mother. What's my name? Psst... hey pal, let go of my tail.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Jay, Good to see that you got there safely, and,I hope with all of your tackle intact. I read your blog. I look forward to new episodes. I think the second fish down may belong to the roosterfish family because of the 7 long spines on the dorsal. Regards....

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
This will definitely be a challenge, but let me give it a go. My answers are in bold:

FIRST UP... He's handsome, he's got attitude and he's tasty. His name is... Paul (too easy, but I'm off to a good start and I appreciate the compliments)

The punk rocker from down deep, this guy's got style and personality written all over him. Who am I? Tougher, but I'm going with Travis on this one.

Sardine, Smelt or Herring. Take a guess... it's not that hard. My name is, my name is, my name is? Hmmm... not sure why you kept repeating yourself... perhaps it's a clue about repeated posts about invasive species... could be any of a hundred people, but I'm going to name this guy Chuck.

Slick, sleek, tasty and loaded up on Omega 3. 10 points for my calling card? Obviously Alec Baldwin, with most of the Omega 3 being used as hair product.

Gag, puke, vomit... Big, nasty and expensive. My skin is brown but my flesh is white. Flaky and tasty. My friends call me? Michael Jackson

Name me and you're real good. No, I'm not an anchovy, but yes someone did take a "bite outta crime"... McGruff, perhaps?

Brother from another mother. What's my name? Psst... hey pal, let go of my tail. Another tough one, but with the "tail" clue I have to go with Tiger Woods.

How'd I do, Jay? Did I get all the names right?

All in good fun,
Paul

·
Banned
613 Posts
OK, I have given everyone else over 24 hours to identify these fish, so now I will give my ID's.

Fish # 1 is either a BANDED RUDDERFISH, or an AMBERJACK

Fish # 2 has been correctly identified already.

Fish # 3 is a FLYING FISH

Fish # 4 is a SPANISH MACKEREL

Fish # 5 is a NASSAU GROUPER

Fish # 6 is a SARDINE

Fish # 7 is another SPANISH MACKEREL or CERO MACKEREL

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good job Xlobsterman! Thanks also to ppaauull0 for the ID of the John Dory fish. Interesting that you get those in England as well, given the difference in climates. We had Red Snapper as well but I didn't bother to take a shot of it. I'll ask one of the boys if they have the photo and post it later.

The flying fish is crazy man! We were sitting on the canoe trolling and I saw something with my peripheral vision and it freaked me out at first. Initially I thought it was some sort of bird until I saw an entire school of them. It's quite the sight to behold!

We also would see a flock of sea birds nosediving into schools of baitfish that were being chased to the surface. Also an interesting sight...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Xlobsterman, you should come over sometime. Your experience with offshore fishing would be welcome. Just get your ticket and you can stay at our house. I need to get a fish finder. Marco lent his to someone so... you can imagine the rest. LOL.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Xlobsterman, you should come over sometime. Your experience with offshore fishing would be welcome. Just get your ticket and you can stay at our house. I need to get a fish finder. Marco lent his to someone so... you can imagine the rest. LOL.
Well Jay,
I would probably not want to leave if I had the chance to really explore the saltwater fishery over there! Are there any "RESTRICTIONS" by the Gov. for the saltwater sportfisherman? I am sure that you can keep anything you catch there for your own personal consumption, correct?

From viewing some of your pics on FB, things look fairly simple, and quiet over there. Just they way I like it!!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Jay,
I would probably not want to leave if I had the chance to really explore the saltwater fishery over there! Are there any "RESTRICTIONS" by the Gov. for the saltwater sportfisherman? I am sure that you can keep anything you catch there for your own personal consumption, correct?

From viewing some of your pics on FB, things look fairly simple, and quiet over there. Just they way I like it!!!!
Restrictions? What are they? No, unfortunately they're no restrictions. They need some for the local commercial fishermen with canoes and other boats. Honestly there just isn't a sport fishery here so the few people fishing wouldn't do anything to the fish stocks. Last Saturday we were actually targetting tuna but without the fish finder I found it a bit pointless. That said, they were going on GPS coordinates of previous successes, etc. I need to get some sort of fish finder and then it will get serious. Hey man, you're welcome to come on over. Life is fairly simple here in terms of regulations and government interference.

The boys are planning a trip next week to an area called "Cape 3 Points" as they caught lots of Red Snapper there last time out. Not sure if I can make it due to church commitment on Sunday. Marco mentionned that he caught 15 large Red Snappers... another very tasty fish.

Aside from that I'm thinking of hitting Ada, a town in Eastern Ghana. It's where the country's largest river runs into the ocean. There's a large estuary there and lots of good fishing - barracuda, yellowfin tuna, tilapia, etc. I met two locals from the area so hopefully that will pan out. My main hinderance is time and transportation. We only have one car so I let the wife use it. Once my ride arrives then things should be easier.

You should plan to come in December of this year. We have a 4-bdr home with lots of room. Offer stands either way.

J

·
Banned
613 Posts
Restrictions? What are they? No, unfortunately they're no restrictions. They need some for the local commercial fishermen with canoes and other boats. Honestly there just isn't a sport fishery here so the few people fishing wouldn't do anything to the fish stocks. Last Saturday we were actually targetting tuna but without the fish finder I found it a bit pointless. That said, they were going on GPS coordinates of previous successes, etc. I need to get some sort of fish finder and then it will get serious. Hey man, you're welcome to come on over. Life is fairly simple here in terms of regulations and government interference.

The boys are planning a trip next week to an area called "Cape 3 Points" as they caught lots of Red Snapper there last time out. Not sure if I can make it due to church commitment on Sunday. Marco mentionned that he caught 15 large Red Snappers... another very tasty fish.

Aside from that I'm thinking of hitting Ada, a town in Eastern Ghana. It's where the country's largest river runs into the ocean. There's a large estuary there and lots of good fishing - barracuda, yellowfin tuna, tilapia, etc. I met two locals from the area so hopefully that will pan out. My main hinderance is time and transportation. We only have one car so I let the wife use it. Once my ride arrives then things should be easier.

You should plan to come in December of this year. We have a 4-bdr home with lots of room. Offer stands either way.

J
Hey J,
you really don't need a fish finder to fish tuna. Just look for areas of floating kelp, schools of dolphins, or those diving birds like you saw the other day. Then just start trolling those tuna clones or Rapalas at 5 to 7 knots, then once you hook some tuna, start casting some chrome lures in the water!

Now you make it very tempting for me to make a trip over there!!! I have never been much of a traveler, and/or globe trotter, but I will keep your offer in mind..................THANKS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts