Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,a first for me, to try my luck at big game Shark Fishing. A group of ten of us, left the port of Eastern Passage just as the sun was creeping the east horizon. With Captain Art at the helm of the " Black Pearl" of Blue Shark Charters, we were outbound with great anticipation of a good day catching and releasing some Blue Sharks.The weather bode well and the water temperature seemed to be warm for this time of year.

On our trip out to the " hot spot", we were intrigued with the information Captain Art and his Crew were with the questions we had about the Shark fishery and the environment relating to the sea and it's habitants.

We were rewarded with a " Shark On" call not too long in the morning after the chum bucket was put over the side, it was evident from early on, that Captain Art and crew, knew these waters well, and the techniques to catch/tag/release these fine creatures.

By the time all of us fishers each had landed and released our blue toothed friends, we were treated to a sail past, under and around the boat, of an inquisitive Sunfish, only about the size of a Honda Civic!!! Wow!

Even as the day winded down, some of us had gotten to land our second shark, doing a rotation to keep it fair and even amount of reelin and pumpin the awesome gear onboard.

All good things unfortunately come to an end,the day ended with stories and fun talk of our day out " with the Blues" during the trip back to dock.

With our memories to last a long time, we thanked Captain Art and his Crew and stepped off the " Black Pearl".....already thinking we should do this again!!!

PS... In my opinion, we had the the best adventure money can buy with Blue Shark Charters, and Mother Nature smiled down on us with great weather, and fish in the Sea.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Did you try to hook up with the sunfish?? How many sharks did your party boat?? Regards........

·
Banned
613 Posts
Did you try to hook up with the sunfish?? How many sharks did your party boat?? Regards........
It is extreemly rare to hook a Sunfish/Mola. Their main diet is jellyfish, and I have never heard of a fish actually taking a baited hook! When I lived out West many moons ago, (30+ years) we would make up special snagging rigs for hooking them. Once snagged, they would peel the line off of even the heaviest of tackle. Now, before everyone gives me any grief for snagging these fish, this was done when I was young and stupid, and I am not recomending for anyone to try this method of fishing. These are awsome fish, and are a sight to see in the wild!!!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have personally hooked several Mola Molas. I have seen, and helped boat 2. These were caught on lures. Bob Izumi was one of the anglers that I saw hook one. There are or were, photos on the Blueshark website of these events. Although they do primarily eat jellyfish, they do eat fish. The ones I have seen hooked, actively pursued, and dived down onto the lures when they caught sight of them. Sometimes they will breach. When they do, it's like someone dropped a Volkswagon in the water beside the boat. I was on the flybridge (about 11' off the water and got absolutely drenched) when one breached on the Starboard side, this was about a minute after we had hooked up and were fighting another one on the Port side. Up until that,I never knew that they could breach. We were "sight fishing" for them. Until Capt Art of Blueshark Charters showed me how it was done, I did not believe that they were catchable. The Japanese do however, eat them (But then, don't the Japanese eat EVERYTHING in the sea??) There is not that much known about these fish and there was?? a scientific tagging program with radio tags until last year. A word of caution to anyone who wants to catch one. Unless you have the gear and the stamina to land a bus, don't try it!! they are very strong and while they don't run very fast, they just keep on running, they are VERY powerful and have lots of stamina...BTW, those boated were all released. Regards....

·
Registered
296 Posts
sound like an awsome time,where there any large swells?that makes it more fun trying to real one of them toothy buggers in when the boat is heaving and pitching!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well to answer a few questions, there was an attempt to lure the sunfish in for a photo op, but I think he/she was just as interested in us humans as we were to see a gentle giant. It looked like a giant swimming fish head

Also the wind did pick up in the afternoon somewhat and some swells and wave action from the " heavies" approaching the harbour approaches...but hooking and fighting took the rolling and pitching out of the picture.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great to hear
I plan on trying it out someday. When I was 10 or 11 years old, I was in a 10' wooden punt about a half mile from shore when I rowed up beside one to see what it was.. when I realized it was a fish it freaked out and almost tipped me lol. Needless to say I was scared silly so I rowed back to shore as fast as I could hahaha

·
Banned
613 Posts
I have personally hooked several Mola Molas. I have seen, and helped boat 2. These were caught on lures. Bob Izumi was one of the anglers that I saw hook one. There are or were, photos on the Blueshark website of these events. Although they do primarily eat jellyfish, they do eat fish. The ones I have seen hooked, actively pursued, and dived down onto the lures when they caught sight of them. Sometimes they will breach. When they do, it's like someone dropped a Volkswagon in the water beside the boat. I was on the flybridge (about 11' off the water and got absolutely drenched) when one breached on the Starboard side, this was about a minute after we had hooked up and were fighting another one on the Port side. Up until that,I never knew that they could breach. We were "sight fishing" for them. Until Capt Art of Blueshark Charters showed me how it was done, I did not believe that they were catchable. The Japanese do however, eat them (But then, don't the Japanese eat EVERYTHING in the sea??) There is not that much known about these fish and there was?? a scientific tagging program with radio tags until last year. A word of caution to anyone who wants to catch one. Unless you have the gear and the stamina to land a bus, don't try it!! they are very strong and while they don't run very fast, they just keep on running, they are VERY powerful and have lots of stamina...BTW, those boated were all released. Regards....
CONGRADULATIONS........................................................in the 30+ years I have been fishing offshore, you are the first person I have met that has actually hooked one!
Do you have any pictures to share with us of these fish you caught?

Over the years we have tried just about every lure we had with us, we even tried live and dead baits, and they never even looked at them!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some good friends and I went out with Art yesterday, it was my first time hooking up to sharks but not my last. Wow!!! This trip was worth every penny, The crews knowledge and stories were amazing. We hooked up an incredible 20 sharks and boated 17. We also got a real close up of a Fin whale,and spotted the first Mako of the season it jumped right out of the water!!! I highly recomend getting a few friends together and booking a trip, my only regret is not doing it sooner. Its hard to believe that when fighting a fish of this caliber that you dont even notice the boat heaving and rocking none of that seems to matter. All 7 of us left feeling very satisfied, tired and a little sunburnt (all except one person, they never saw anything but a chum bucket and the inside of their eyelids all day, lol)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Went out with Art today, fished barbless,Hooked 20,tagged 10 including a Porbeagle, which is a cousin to the Mako. Fish all very scrappy!! Great day. Regards.....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
No, I don't. There were photos taken. It was one of the little "rockets". I don't remember the fork length even though I recorded it in the log. Regards.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts