Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi
Saturday night while waiting for the HNIC, I was watching a murder mystery. Set in an old castle in some part of the UK.
The interesting part was when the detective came in to interview the Laird. The old Laird had a very nice fly tying setup. A modern vise with a magnifying glass mounted over it and lot of goodies laying around. Anyway he was tying a dry fly - size 12 I would say - the hackle and wings were already mounted as was the tail. He was just mounting dubbing for the body on the thread. As he talked, he put the dubbing on the fly starting from the hackle back to the tail. Just had enough so that he tied it off at the tail.
First time I ever saw a fly made like that. What about the rest of you? Have you ever tied a fly body last?
The actor obviously was a good tyer and it showed him latter fishing - he could also handle a fly rod!
Enjoy the day
Paul

·
Registered
195 Posts
Never seen that done with the tye off at the butt. I done something similar where you tie the tail, wing and hackle then dub your body and wind your thread through the hackle, seen it a book somewhere once. It adds strength to your hackle if your using low quality. I never tied any patterns like that for quite a while, I dub my flies just about to the eye now and hackle over the dubbing, never had a problem with the hackle I'm using.

G

·
I usually tie in the wings and tail first,then I dub the body before I wrap the hackle.I have never seen anyone tie off at the back before though. Hmmmmm I wonder if there is a secret behind it..?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts