Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner

Muddler

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Woolybugger 
#1 ·
sorry i should have posted the other post over here!i was also wondering something else. i've been playing around with other colors, white , olive ,etc. but i rarely ever fly fish anymore. so i was wondering how much success others has had with what other colors?or is the ''old reliable'' natural color preffered?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have had pretty good luck in the past on white or black muddlers for trout. Orange is another good one. Chartreuse and other bright color combos are good for smallies and I'm sure would work well for pickerel also.

"Old reliable" is great and does still catch tonnes of fish, but dont be afraid to play around a bit.

#8 ·
Hi
Thanks for all the good info re muddlers.
I'll be doing some tying I can see!
A couple of fellows swear by my muddlers but they are no good for me - I cann't figure that out.
Last year someone - I forget who - sorry about that - recommended Tube Muddlers and they really worked good. In the old reliable color and some in olive. My best SMB were all on them. Little fish not so much but very attractive for larger fish. Both SMB and Trout.
I'll be trying some of the colors recommended.
Good shoveling
Paul

#15 ·
since we're on the subject of ''favorites''. please try this pattern-mustad 3399a[i think that's the number for the standard wet fly hook]then use black thread, tie on a tail of golden pheasant tippit, silver body , and then a collared brown hackle tied back.so simple , but SO effective.try it you'll like it!i was fishing in western shore with a guy one time , he with worms , i with this fly , and i out fished him. surprisingly this happened more than once at different locations around the south shore!

#21 ·
I prefer a rolled beedhead muddler. I tie my tails and wings with malard flank instead of the standard mottled turkey. Some variations i add a wing of crystal flash or add in some color of calf tail under the mallard flank like red yellow white orange. Sizes #2-#8 tied on 3xl streamer hooks. Keep the bodies gold or silver braid. Mylar like in a zonker works well also!
Ill thro up some pics of what i use when i get a chance. Cant beat a muddler. I tie a few on 3/0 salmon irons for spring salmon on the "chi" and smallies here on the south shore. Cant add the beed but add some weight for the smallmouth ties.

Tight lines

#26 ·
I very rarely use muddlers any more, but when I do, it's a brown or smelt muddler. I tie my brown muddlers with natural red squirrel tail for the tail and wing with a gold body and brown deer hair for the head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.