Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow, the rain over the past week has brought the water in Kinsac up about 2.5'. still having lots of luck with smallies,but not so much with power boats.I was out in my canoe today and I just gotta say "How Rude" most power boats will slow passing a smaller unmotorized craft but there were a "few" boats today I could have hung the operators, one to point of almost upsetting my canoe...good thing my azz is heavy and has some low ballast! I wish some of the bigger lakes could be policed if only once in a while. I'm not knocking all pleasure craft operators but I know there are some out there that have no liscence or clue how to properly run these crafts.thats my little rant....

·
Registered
575 Posts
I definitely agree.. My canoe has a motor but it's still not that stable. I've had a few bigger motorboats drive past and cause me to be a little tippy. One time my motor died and 2 boats drove past really close while I was trying to get the motor going, they were intentionally rocking my boat lol.. Then 2 guys in kayaks came and offered to tow me and girlfriend back to shore (fair distance away) I had a paddle though so I paddled my way 3/4 back then tried motor one last time and I worked when I was almost to shore

That's my rant lol.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I was out in my canoe today and I just gotta say "How Rude" most power boats will slow passing a smaller unmotorized craft but there were a "few" boats today I could have hung the operators, one to point of almost upsetting my canoe...good thing my azz is heavy and has some low ballast! I wish some of the bigger lakes could be policed if only once in a while. I'm not knocking all pleasure craft operators but I know there are some out there that have no liscence or clue how to properly run these crafts.thats my little rant....
LOL........................nothing like this is ever supposed to happen now that we have the manditory boaters safety course!!!!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was out in my float tube a few times when boats have been a problem. One time it was two jet skis doing doughnuts around me, I considered trying to hook their face with a rapala and take a piece of them home with me, but didn't. Hey just a casting accident if I would have done it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
been there as well as for the operator card I doubt this will make a differnce,(I totally got the sarcasim Xlobster, saved me for posting something simslar lol) some peolple just never grow up

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

I don't know the particulars of the regs, but all motor boats above a certain size are required to plainly display a registration number that can be read from several feet away. If you get cr-p from a motor boat, record that number, call the RCMP, and report the incident. On one occasion I took a cop to a boat bully's front door and put the fear of god in him.

I am not afraid to cast heavy jigs in front of them, sometimes fouling props;, and once [when I was much younger] I succeeded in fouling a yacht's main mast pulley with a mackeral jig, disabling the boat until he, the jerk who tacked right up to my face, shinnied all the way up the mast to free it.

Hey, accidents happen when bully boats come into casting range. Can't be helped, really. And if they're towing a wakeboarder, god forbid, someone could get hurt [besides yourself, this time].

Cell phones that take and send photos are handy. Sometimes the bully boys take off when they see you taking their pic, or better yet, videotaping them. Evidence enough for a charge, maybe?

To repeat what I said in the SMB thread [maccabe lake?], most N.S. lakes are just oversized ponds. Any motor over 9.9 should be banned from all lakes except a designated few, and those few [maybe 100] determined on the basis of both surface area and depth. Special exceptions might be made for slow pontoon boats. The people who operate them are rarely yahoos, [in my experience], whereas speed-boaters, wake-boarders and the like, are about 50/50-- decent people/great flaming a--holes.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi;

I don't know the particulars of the regs, but all motor boats above a certain size are required to plainly display a registration number that can be read from several feet away. If you get cr-p from a motor boat, record that number, call the RCMP, and report the incident. On one occasion I took a cop to a boat bully's front door and put the fear of god in him.

I am not afraid to cast heavy jigs in front of them, sometimes fouling props;, and once [when I was much younger] I succeeded in fouling a yacht's main mast pulley with a mackeral jig, disabling the boat until he, the jerk who tacked right up to my face, shinnied all the way up the mast to free it.

Hey, accidents happen when bully boats come into casting range. Can't be helped, really. And if they're towing a wakeboarder, god forbid, someone could get hurt [besides yourself, this time].

Cell phones that take and send photos are handy. Sometimes the bully boys take off when they see you taking their pic, or better yet, videotaping them. Evidence enough for a charge, maybe?

To repeat what I said in the SMB thread [maccabe lake?], most N.S. lakes are just oversized ponds. Any motor over 9.9 should be banned from all lakes except a designated few, and those few [maybe 100] determined on the basis of both surface area and depth. Special exceptions might be made for slow pontoon boats. The people who operate them are rarely yahoos, [in my experience], whereas speed-boaters, wake-boarders and the like, are about 50/50-- decent people/great flaming a--holes.

cheers,

chuck
That's great info Chuck, I will start recording numbers of offenders.There was one whom I think was delibertly tring to flip me, with several close passes I consider 60 70 feet close considering the wake that hit me, with two big honkin outboards I dare say they were definatley over 9.9,that being said it was the first time I seen this boat on the lake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Chuck,
I for one would never support a ban of motor boats over 9.9 on any lake they were able to get on. I'm not a fan of "Blanket Policies" that punish everyone because of the actions of a few.
I've spent a lot of time on the water & I think 50% may be a little high, possibly more like 5%.
The problem may be that the 5% is so much more noticeable than the 95% of responsible watercraft operators. The suggestion to report/record violators is the way to go. If they're being an a-hole to you, chances are they're doing it to everyone else, so we should all be encouraged to report infractions & insist something be done. The end result will be a more enjoyable day on the water for EVERYONE!

Good Fishing! Matt

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi Chuck,
I for one would never support a ban of motor boats over 9.9 on any lake they were able to get on. I'm not a fan of "Blanket Policies" that punish everyone because of the actions of a few.
I've spent a lot of time on the water & I think 50% may be a little high, possibly more like 5%.
The problem may be that the 5% is so much more noticeable than the 95% of responsible watercraft operators. The suggestion to report/record violators is the way to go. If they're being an a-hole to you, chances are they're doing it to everyone else, so we should all be encouraged to report infractions & insist something be done. The end result will be a more enjoyable day on the water for EVERYONE!

Good Fishing! Matt
Hi Matt;

I have only my own personal experience to go by, but I'll stand by my 50/50. I think that, no offense, your 5% is way off. I find that motor speed lovers, be they street racers, heavy metal, no muffler, hog enthusiasts, ATV gunners, and speed boaters, are all that way. May have something to do with sexual equipment compensation.

Now when you start talking non-racing sailboats, row boats, canoes, and kayaks, then I'll buy the 5% yahoo proportion. Bicycles are divided into touring and other. Touring are 5%, the other is the other, especially messenger bikes, although many non-pro city bikers are just as bad.

Getting back to the topic of speed boating, not only are they a serious, albeit unintentional threat to swimmers [many people only our small lakes like to swim from one side to the other and back, which is risking your life in power boat country] and float tube fishermen, but, as has been pointed out, they can be a serious threat to sailboarders, canoes, kayaks, and kids with pool noodles. Especially the wake boarders, tube bouncers, and water skiers. I'll say no more about the
psychotic jerks who intentionally go after anyone who isn't attached to a motor.

Even those who take great care to speed on the water safely and prudently damage the environment. First there is the noise pollution--beautiful evening, calm lake, sunset, fish rising and then VAROOOM. All gone. Then there there is the atmospheric pollution-- not only does the exhaust continue to stink after the boat roars by, but boat motors, ATV motors, and so on, emit way more greenhouse gasses in an hour than any family sedan would give off in an entire 10 hr. day!! Moreover, speedboats erode waterfront property with their artificial surf, clog the filters on lake water intake systems, chew up water weeds, lift silt off the bottom until shallow lakes turn from crystal clear to opaque, and destroy the habitat of minnows, snails, other crustaceans, insects, nymphs and other invertebrates. Lastly, they send powerful shock-waves through the water which, in small water [like 95% of our lakes], is at best stressful, at worst, lethal, for larger fish. Anybody hear remember a 'lure' called a "CIL Special", aka, dynamite?
Most large fish leave small water [if they can] when energy waves get bothersome.

IOW, no speedboats means small lakes that are healthy and fishable, and vice versa, small lakes with a healthy population of speed boats soon do not have a healthy population of anything else. You want to spoil the bass fishing on Third or Second Lake, or any other lake their size, well, just put in a public boat ramp.

IMHO

chuck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Chuck,

I never did get back to that other thread. There are boat owners who are a problem. I've been out in 17' to 21' boats and thought other boats were getting too close and going too fast. Taking the hull id number and registering a complaint is probably the best course of action. Getting into a confrontation on the water is not a very good idea, you might lose.

Lakes have to be shared groups trying to get each other banned from the water, for any reason safety, environment, etc is going to be a long tough battle. Other groups are out there trying to get access to more lakes for bigger boats.

I think some power boat owners haven't been in a canoe in this situation and don't realize what they are doing to the smaller craft. I've been there, and wouldn't feel right roughing up a smaller boat. The ignorant people are everywhere. On the road, in the mall, at the camp ground, and on the lake.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hey Chuck,

I never did get back to that other thread. There are boat owners who are a problem. I've been out in 17' to 21' boats and thought other boats were getting too close and going too fast. Taking the hull id number and registering a complaint is probably the best course of action. Getting into a confrontation on the water is not a very good idea, you might lose.

Lakes have to be shared groups trying to get each other banned from the water, for any reason safety, environment, etc is going to be a long tough battle. Other groups are out there trying to get access to more lakes for bigger boats.

I think some power boat owners haven't been in a canoe in this situation and don't realize what they are doing to the smaller craft. I've been there, and wouldn't feel right roughing up a smaller boat. The ignorant people are everywhere. On the road, in the mall, at the camp ground, and on the lake.
Hi Skeeter;

True, the greater part of the human race are great flaming a--holes. Which is why the biosphere is going through another great extinction; one which will, I suspect, eradicate civilization, if not the human race entire. Oh well.

Lakes DO NOT have to be shared. There is no law or human right that says that everyone can do what he or she pleases with public water, anymore than they can do as they please with a national park or a public highway.

Some lakes and ponds are quite simply too small and shallow for big power boats doing what big power boats were designed and built to do. The things that people bought them to do. They simply wreck the lake/pond ecosystem;-- to say nothing of endangering life, limb, and shoreline property values. I say that that is A BAD THING. Like street racing. Like burglary, home invasion, and piracy on the high seas. And other stuff that humans do. I say that there should be a law banning any motor boats with more than 9.9 hp on any lake/pond with less than an area 500 hectares, and/or a mean lake basin depth, high summer, of less than 10 metres.

Now I know that that won't happen, because human beings tend always to do as they please; as opposed to the right thing to do. Which, as I've said, is precisely why we are now in such great big trouble, and headed for far, far worse. Power-boating on small water is among the least of the bad things we do to please ourselves.

Cheers?!?

chuck

P.S.--I don't advocate confrontation to anyone. I don't even do it myself, anymore, now that I'm old and in poor health. But I do advocate taking all the safe steps that may be available to anyone, in order to wise up the self-centred toy-heads out there on the water.--c.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to the beach on Third tonight with my 2 year old. There was a boater, must have been a residents boat, going by just a few feet from the buoys marking the swimming area. The wake was a bit munch for my boy, but I have seen the wind do much more damage to the shore. Although I would not have complained, I did look to see if I could read the hull I'd number, I could not.

·
Banned
767 Posts
I went to the beach on Third tonight with my 2 year old. There was a boater, must have been a residents boat, going by just a few feet from the buoys marking the swimming area. The wake was a bit munch for my boy, but I have seen the wind do much more damage to the shore. Although I would not have complained, I did look to see if I could read the hull I'd number, I could not.
Hi;

I thought they had lifeguards at that beach. But maybe only 9-5?

IAC, I don't get your point about about erosion. Since waves made by wind erode shoreline, waves that erode shorelines that are made by powerboats are OK? That doesn't follow, IMHO.

Hull ID numbers require binoculars or being within a few [say 20?] feet. Which is not as close as some of them have come to my row boat. So carry binoculars if you like, or wait until one comes so close that you really would call the police.

regards,

chuck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Chuck,

I will respectfully disagree with you again. The fishing in Second Lake was excellent even when it had a public boat ramp (not all that long ago!). Allowing access to motor boats does not "spoil" the fishing on a lake. Is that what you are concerned about?

I think you are lumping anglers in with "speed boaters" even though they are utilizing the water very differently. I still believe the "speed boaters", excluding residents, will avoid the smaller lakes anyway. Like you say they're not suitable for 50mph fun.

Matt

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi Chuck,

I will respectfully disagree with you again. The fishing in Second Lake was excellent even when it had a public boat ramp (not all that long ago!). Allowing access to motor boats does not "spoil" the fishing on a lake. Is that what you are concerned about?

I think you are lumping anglers in with "speed boaters" even though they are utilizing the water very differently. I still believe the "speed boaters", excluding residents, will avoid the smaller lakes anyway. Like you say they're not suitable for 50mph fun.

Matt
Hi Matt;

Fishing Second Lake meant applying for a key, and then trailering down a long, rough road to a 'natural' launch. Only fishers had much interest in doing that [and teens looking to 'party']. Speed-boaters, not so much. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a wake-boarder/skier on that lake, myself.

And I am not comparing boat users. I am comparing boats and boat use. Fishers only use large, fast boats in bass competitions, [that I know of], and those are usually held on large, deep lakes. Nobody races around on rock filled, shallow reservoirs.

But give quick, easy, concrete launch access to the public, close to urban areas, on any lake with room to turn around on, and watch. "If you build it, they will come."

But I grant you that most of the worst offenders on small lakes are the local shore-fronters and their friends. The vast majority of whom never fish.

regards,

chuck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Matt;

Fishing Second Lake meant applying for a key, and then trailering down a long, rough road to a 'natural' launch. Only fishers had much interest in doing that [and teens looking to 'party']. Speed-boaters, not so much. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a wake-boarder/skier on that lake, myself.

And I am not comparing boat users. I am comparing boats and boat use. Fishers only use large, fast boats in bass competitions, [that I know of], and those are usually held on large, deep lakes. Nobody races around on rock filled, shallow reservoirs.

But give quick, easy, concrete launch access to the public, close to urban areas, on any lake with room to turn around on, and watch. "If you build it, they will come."

But I grant you that most of the worst offenders on small lakes are the local shore-fronters and their friends. The vast majority of whom never fish.

regards,

chuck
Hey Chuck,
I guess that's my point. If there never was a problem on Second Lake & others like it, why are they closed now. If I remember correctly a couple homeowners there had ski boats & some slalom bouys set up (about ten years ago) but I never saw them being used. Although I did most of my fishing during the week (I like peace & quiet too). I have seen bigger boats on Second quietly cruising the lake with thier electric motors looking for the "lunkers". We don't need big fancy concrete boat launches for those smaller lakes, just access to what we once had. Big elaborate launches would be more siutable for development on the larger lakes you spoke of earlier. At the very least, more access on more lakes will thin "the flaming a-holes" out a little bit, making our angling experience more enjoyable

Good fishing, Matt

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hey Chuck,
I guess that's my point. If there never was a problem on Second Lake & others like it, why are they closed now. If I remember correctly a couple homeowners there had ski boats & some slalom bouys set up (about ten years ago) but I never saw them being used. Although I did most of my fishing during the week (I like peace & quiet too). I have seen bigger boats on Second quietly cruising the lake with thier electric motors looking for the "lunkers". We don't need big fancy concrete boat launches for those smaller lakes, just access to what we once had. Big elaborate launches would be more siutable for development on the larger lakes you spoke of earlier. At the very least, more access on more lakes will thin "the flaming a-holes" out a little bit, making our angling experience more enjoyable

Good fishing, Matt
Hi Matt;

I agree that lake access and usage should be the same for everybody. I've said that from the start.

The discussion has focused on what kind of access, and what kind of usage, are appropriate to what kind of lakes.

I believe that some lakes are too small and shallow for for fast, powerful motorboats. I think most any lake or pond could handle anything up to a 9.9 hp. outboard., but some cannot handle more than that, and on those lakes nobody, shore-lot owner or visitor, should be allowed a more powerful craft. So if Second Lake access was re-instated, or even if Third Lake access was opened up, I would have no problem so long as nobody, 'resident' or 'visitor', got to operate anything more powerful than a 9.9 horse on those lakes, and others like them.

Thus any lake with shore-front houses and/or cottages with motor boats on them should have public access equal to launching the kind of boats already in use by residents. But resident boats should be limited by the size of the water.

The problem is, how do you get such a regulation in place, given the furious resistance you will surely get from 'residents' accusing 'outsiders' of interfering with their 'property rights' over 'their' lake? Thus, once access to trailered boats is created and/or granted, you won't get fewer 'a-holes', you'll get more. It's a given.

It's been a good discussion for the most part, but I've said all I have to say on the subject. Thanks for participating.

cheers,

chuck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts