Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

First time here just joined. I fish smallmouth and looking to buy a new trolling motor. I keep thinking that a remote control would be nice to have. I am looking for opinions on whether they are worth buying and which motor, Minn Kota or Motorguide? Does anyone out there have one and what do you think? I am leaning towards a minn kota with I pilot but would love others opinions before I make a purchase.

Thanks

THE " ACAMACIAN "

·
Registered
806 Posts
as far as wireless goes i can't give you an oppinion.i bought a maxxim years ago , and enjoyed it so much that i bought a left over maxxim pro this year. but if you decide on a motor guide wireless , my neighbor, has a 24 volt one second hand for sale , if you are interested in a second hand one . why he doesn't use it now?i have no idea, he does still use a motor guide, so no issues with them.if memory recalls correct[which it probably doesn't lol], i think it was just weird to use when you're use to a full foot control and go to a small ''half moon'' controller , then it's a little weird.i like the cable drives myself , because you can control the speed of the turn, and it doesn't take up any power. persernal choice though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an older johnson trolling motor now but it is losing power so I want to upgrade. I do like the foot pedal operation but I find that my back gets sore as the day goes on which takes some of the enjoyment out of fishing. I thought the remote control would give the back a rest. I keep trying to compare minn kota and motorguides but it seems minn kota has the more options. My dilemma is motorguide is one of the sponsors of the tournamnet circuit I fish so I thought I would try and buy their product. But I just think that I -pilot of minn kota would be a great option and was hoping I could find someone who has it.
Thanks for your reply.

THE ACAMACIAN

·
Registered
806 Posts
if you don't find this to be a good option for you , then feel free to get in contact with me in the spring, and i can hook you up with either a pattern , or a recessed foot pedal. i've done a few and when i stand on mine , i'm actually standing flat footed.i also have a bad back and with the recessed foot pedal , i have no issues! so should i pressume that you don't want me to ask the neighbor about the used one?i'm not pushing it , i just want to be clear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks anyway but I don't think I want to buy used just yet. That is interesting that you find a recessed foot pedal easier on your back, I should maybe do that.

THE ACAMACIAN

·
Registered
806 Posts
if you decide to , i have the pattern here. it's for a minn kota , so i'm not sure if it would have to be modified or not for a motor guide . heck , i'd even take the cover off my boat and let you try it first , if you'd like!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks jsawler but we probably live a distance from each other. I live in N.B. I went on ebay today looking for these and it looks like I need to make a decision on which motor I want first.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As for your sore back a back brace or back support belt could make a world of difference in how you feel and how long you can say out for. Also some exercise stretching like yoga could cure it done every night for 10 min.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I like the recessed tray for the reasons noted above; you can rest your weight on your pedal foot and your back doesn't get as sore.
I'm back to a Minn Kota; I had my first Motor Guide on my last boat, and bent the SS shaft. I never bent/broke the composite shaft on any of my previous MK's, and I abused them badly.

·
Registered
806 Posts
i did actually break one on my maxxim. mind you , i was going down a flowing canal , full tilt , with the current!and i must say , i called up rocky in ontario , and he was GREAT .the whole conversation was quite funny , and i won't bore you with it. but my point is that i TOTALLY brutalize them , and they pretty much hold up fantastic. and when it didn't , it was sent to my door in mere days , and never cost me a penny.rocky even offered to talk me through the repair if needed.great service!if anyone out there is young , my advice is to learn trolling motor repair , and have good service. trust me there is a market for it , and it's only getting bigger!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I like the recessed tray for the reasons noted above; you can rest your weight on your pedal foot and your back doesn't get as sore.
I'm back to a Minn Kota; I had my first Motor Guide on my last boat, and bent the SS shaft. I never bent/broke the composite shaft on any of my previous MK's, and I abused them badly.
yeah , standing on 2 legs all day is A LOT easier then standing on one or the other, while holding the other up.

·
Administrator
913 Posts
yeah , standing on 2 legs all day is A LOT easier then standing on one or the other, while holding the other up.
Also known as the Capt. Morgan pose.

I have only owned Minn Kotas so i dont have an unbiased opinion for your question. However, everyone i have talked to with a recessed trolling motor pedal tells me it is 100 times better for the back. I just need to get up the nerve to cut a hole in my boat one of these days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A 55 lb thrust motor is about 1/2 HP give or take a few percentage points. A 101 lb thrust motor is about 1 HP as an example.

Chris, bring it down, I'll cut the hole without reservations
Done a few now so the result outweighs the initial shock and since it is not my hull (did mine several years ago) it would really be easy to do.

Thanks for the info guyz.. i have a question ..I bought a Minn Kota 1355830 Waterfoul speacial edition 55 lb thrust trolling motor and would like to no the power ratio to hp.

·
Administrator
913 Posts
Chris, bring it down, I'll cut the hole without reservations
Done a few now so the result outweighs the initial shock and since it is not my hull (did mine several years ago) it would really be easy to do.
I might have to take you up on that offer Mark. lol I can just look away while you cut into er.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am the same way can't bring myself to cutting the hole.. ha ha. I do think it would be easier on the back though. I finally made my decision and bought the minn kota terrova with Ipilot. Can't wait to try it out. One thing I was disappointed with though was it didn't cover the existing holes from my old trolling motor. I tried filling them in with body fill as I thought I might be able to sand them smooth. That didn't work. Now I might just cover them with decals.

Won't be long now until we are out on the water!!!

ACAMACIAN

1 - 17 of 17 Posts