Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Admin
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Middle & Baddeck Rivers, Cape Breton Island, closed to Salmon Angling

Friday, August 20, 2010

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) has notified NSSA that the Middle and Baddeck Rivers located on Cape Breton Island will not open, as scheduled, for Salmon angling on September 1, 2010. This closure will be reviewed on September 10, 2010 and DFO will decide then if these rivers will remain closed or open for salmon angling.

For the official announcement on the NSSA website, please use the following link:

Middle & Baddeck Rivers Closed for 2010 Fall Season

·
1,353 Posts
I thought that issue was resolved. I wonder what criteria is used to open and close it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hear ya slinkey. This open,close,open,close BS has got to stop. DFO needs to grow a pair and stand by their words. When i bought my lisence this year, these rivers were listed as open in the 2010 regs. What a rip off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not only do they want it closed for salmon fishing but they also want it closed all together no trout fishing neither from sept 1 tell the end of oct.And if that happens all of my gear will go up for sell:(I also think that all of the fishermen and women that care about this two rivers should get together and block of all the bridges on this two rivers and let them know how we fill and stand up to them let the hole public know whats going on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree, they shouldn't be allowed to close these rivers after the season has begun and we have already paid for our license. What is the reason, I thought it was already reviewed and agreed upon to remain open this year??

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess they changed their minds once again, Baddeck and Middle Rivers are once again open to salmon fishing this year. It's in the Cape Breton Post today, the season starts on September 11. Slinkey you can keep your rod and license now, haha.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If anyone can find evidence that they are indeed open it would be great if you could post a link here,

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't find it on any government site or the cape breton post site. But, it was definitely in there, it wasn't an article, just a public notice in a little box, saying salmon angling is re-open on middle and baddeck rivers starting sept 11, 2010. It was in on Aug 30, the day I posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just found it on the fisheries website under salmon angling seasons

"2. (a) SALMON FISHING AREA 19 (Cape Breton East) and all waters
of the Province flowing into that Area, except the waters referred to
in paragraphs to (f)...............................................….............................................Closed all year
Baddeck River...................................................................(catch and release only) Sept. 11 to Oct.
(c) Middle River..................................................................….(catch and release only) Sept. 11 to Oct.
31"

here's the link...

http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishing/angling/salmonanglingseasons2010.pdf

They were both originally open Sept 1 so I would say it has been updated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts