Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to tie some, and one reference has weight, and another doesn't, how does everyone here tie them

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
34 Posts
traditionally i don't think the Mickey finn had weight. but u can tie them however u like, a few wraps or lead or non lead wire might be nice. that is the great thing about tying your own bugs u can tie a bunch of different variants.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, I am learning to put my own touch on things, but was wondering about the weight, I suppose water conditions come into play too, I think I'll tie both.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Some guys will use copper instad of lead and if you use marabu or something like that it will sink better too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dress them sparsely and they will sink. Seen guys put to much hair in the wing and they will float or ride just under the surface. I seen a few guys add bead heads, may be something to try.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A black wool body and flash in the wing is a nice change as well
Never tried black. Maybe something with flash in it like black Ice Yarn. I use krystal flash for the red section of the wing. I may give the black a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad I started this discussion, it's great how you can take a traditional pattern and make so many changes

Greg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just Uploaded another Micky variation to the gallery. Black body and Black Mudler head. The possiblilities are endless!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts