Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
As Tim said about matching the hatch.

I love summer trout fishing, especialy in the lakes. For wet patterns, Picket Pin is definitly my go to, then a Dk Montreal. I believe it was Tim who turned me on to the picket pin back on the old site, LOL. With pheasent tail fibers for the tail.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mayflies hatch all summer long on lakes. I fish mostly lakes in the summer. Usually an hour before sunset is best for mayfly hatches, depending on the temp. I wouldn't worry too much about matching the hatch as I have not seen too many trout key on most mayfly species in the summer, on the CB lakes I fish anyway. I found the most important hatches on lakes in the summer are Caddis and flying ants, black, red/brown, red and cinnamon and big olive ants in late summer. At least where I fish.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hex are usualy in August on CB. I've seen some lakes where the trout will key on them, but my favorite lake the trout will not even look at them.

Hey tim, I seen this mayfly hatch once, was wondering if you ever came across it. I have yet to find any referance to them on line. I only seen them once on this lake, it was early September. They were small, about a #18 with clear wings, they were that clear it almost looked like there were no wings there and it had a chartruese body.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In the lake I do most my fishing in in the summer, back in CB, we would watch the big hex flies pop up onto the surface and float around for a minute and never seen on fish chase them. LOL, for some reason they don't like the adults. Very pickey fish in this lake anyway. LOL.

One of my favorite patterns for this lake in the summer is a Bras D'or Creeper, but I use a thinner shell back, just wide enough to go across the back. I find it gives it a little more buggy look for freshwater fishing. I always assumed that maybe they though it was a large nymph, maybe a hex. I fish it along the bottom very very slow. I use to stay until the last min, 2hours after sunset, catching fish after fish on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.