Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
580 Posts
Hi All
We were out on a small lake - ( About 10 h in size ) - this morning and came across a hatch of mayflies in one cove. The flies were about size 16, clear wings with a dark body. They were in a cove of clear water where it goes down to 3 - 4 meters in maybe 25 m from shore. There was a good number of mayflies or at least mayfly lookalikes on the water. The place is rocky but some mud or clay on the bottom.
My question is there normally a mayfly hatch in July? Do they have a name?
As no fish were feeding on them it would not be a useful exercise to tie a matching fly.
Have a nice day
Paul

· Registered
580 Posts
Hi Paul

Most of the mayfly hatches that I see this time of year are in rivers or streams. That being said it is entirely possible that there are mayfly hatches in lakes this time of year. A lot of small mayflies are swimmers as nymphs which could be found in lakes. Any chance that P.Mar was with you and got a picture ?
Hi Bugman
The chances on question 1 is 100%, on # 2 0%!
We didn't have a net so couldn't catch any.
I never mastered the matching the hatch deal. If trout are rising I offer them a little tube fly, then a klink, if they don't like either I leave them in peace and go have a cold one.
Enjoy the heat
Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.