Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
966 Posts
Is the launch site privately owned, or is it an old right-of- way to the lake? If the former, you're probably out of luck with a boat & trailer, but you could still launch a hand carried canoe or kayak as you are crossing, on foot, uncultivated land in order to fish, with rod and line in a public watercourse. If it is an old public right of way, the folks there have no business denying anyone access. There probably needs to be a conversation at the provincial level regarding the public having access to our public waters.
Having said that, it is a pretty lake to fish and is supposed to hold some real pigs. I spent 4 days at the lodge 3 or 4 years ago but unfortunately the fish gods did not favour me. I only caught dinks.
Regards.....
Or there needs to be a conversation at the provincial level about the public crossing private lands to fish, damaging and destroying property in the process. This is a two sided coin, trust me, I am both a fisher as well as property owner, the tales I can tell. I doubt in this case that it a right away. Not many of those that I know of. Just some folks thinking cause they accessed an area all their lives that they have the right. Not true unless written in a deed. Your right to access waterways is on foot, through non cultivated, non agricultural land, it is as simple as that, written in law.
Treat peoples property with respect, gates might not go up. My property here is used for everything, including a dump by the slob Striper Fishers.

· Registered
966 Posts
Guest,
I both totally agree and sympathize with you. But I think that conversation was had a long time ago. Unfortunately, you probably have to be there to witness the damage and then, after you have identified the slob, go after them for the cost of the damages they caused. And good luck to you on that point. Don't get me wrong - I do not agree with the lack of teeth in the legislation as well as the apparent disinterest by enforcement folks in it (the POP act) but you have the ex attorney general Harry Howe to thank for adding the notwithstanding clauses.
There actually ARE a few old public rights of way which grant access to public waters. There actually are two that I know of which are within walking distance of my home.

Regards....
Any challenge to "Slobs" regarding the PPA is a civil matter. I am sure you know what that means, it is at my expense through the legal system until a proven guilty verdict is determined. Than it is still up to me to attempt to recover costs. As far as the PP Act goes, it has been challenged, by me , through the Political system. I had some interesting emails from Provincial Legal Beagles. Not all see the act in the same manner. Regardless, this conversation can go on forever, keep destroying others property in the name of fishing/hunting, sooner or later it will bite you in the ass. As far as the old right of ways go, if not deeded, they are not valid. As well most specifically state that it applies only to adjacent landowners, not the public in general. Just saying.

· Registered
966 Posts
i just came across this post on the closing of Matattal Lake launch. it's too bad as i use it all the time when i'm down in Wentworth. Well that now makes 3 bass lakes inaccessible to boat access here in Cumberland Co. 1st it was Angevine (Dewars) Lake, then this past summer they closed off the only launch available to public use on (Victoria) Big Lake and now Matattal.. Killarney lake is inaccessible as well. I think the only lake with a decent launch is (Maccan) Harrison Lake. it's a trout lake tho.
You know that they encourage us to get out and do some sport fishing in order to gouge us with the price of a license and taxes on our gear. and if my memory serves me a few years back they raised the cost of the license to cover the cost of building new boat launches and repairing old ones around the province.
well we aren't seeing any of this in Cumberland Co.
I think it's time for the power to be to take the initiative and make a stand and do something about getting launches erected on our lakes and good right of ways, also do something to stop our lakes becoming havens for private owners, and not accessible for public usage.

Rant done ...Liv
.Are you aware how many stretches of water there are in NS. What you are suggesting would be monumental in costs alone. As well how many lakes, waterways etc. have no access? Not many. You already are granted rights to access water through private property, with a very small amount of exclusions, on foot , for the purpose of fishing. Because you want to fish a waterway with a boat should not preclude property owner rights. I am certain that you own property, perhaps it is not located on water, but none the less in your way of thinking others should be able to access it, for their own personal usage, whether a short cut somewhere or another issue. The lakes that are polluted with Bass that have access are also a dumping ground. Have you ever had a close look at Panuke Lake(Three Mile Plains) , BRL, just to name two, around their launches. A sad mess indeed. Than I could mention my own chunk of land that has a boat launch on it. Private indeed, but as of yet ungated. It turns into a mess, both from Trucks and the endless dumping of garbage on it annually. I can go further as well, the old Bowater Land, now crown, have had public access opened in the last two years. That land around its waterways has gone from pristine to a bloody mess. Need not ask why private property owners have issues with access through their lands, better to ask why not.

The fee that is received from your licence purchases goes back to general revenues within the Government. It is not destined for any one particular item. In this province which is totally broke I am sure it is likely used in some form to be applied to the red ink. As far as improving already existing Public Launches, I might suggest that you make application to the department to access the Habitat Stamp Fund revenues that are collected annually in addition to your license fees. Even individuals can make application for usage of this Habitant Stamp Fund

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.