Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
i just came across this post on the closing of Matattal Lake launch. it's too bad as i use it all the time when i'm down in Wentworth. Well that now makes 3 bass lakes inaccessible to boat access here in Cumberland Co. 1st it was Angevine (Dewars) Lake, then this past summer they closed off the only launch available to public use on (Victoria) Big Lake and now Matattal.. Killarney lake is inaccessible as well. I think the only lake with a decent launch is (Maccan) Harrison Lake. it's a trout lake tho.

You know that they encourage us to get out and do some sport fishing in order to gouge us with the price of a license and taxes on our gear. and if my memory serves me a few years back they raised the cost of the license to cover the cost of building new boat launches and repairing old ones around the province.

well we aren't seeing any of this in Cumberland Co.

I think it's time for the power to be to take the initiative and make a stand and do something about getting launches erected on our lakes and good right of ways, also do something to stop our lakes becoming havens for private owners, and not accessible for public usage.

Rant done ...Liv

· Registered
16 Posts
I'm not saying I condone people making messes as we have our fair share here in Cumberland as well. What I was implying is that on the lakes I mentioned there were public accesses on them but, It seems that the people who purchased the land near them think they own the whole lake and frown upon anyone using them for fishing.

and either built on them or blocked them in some capacity.

Most of them don't fish, just drive their big boats and watercraft on disrupting us guys with small boats trying to get a lil fishing done

I find that most of these people are from urban areas who for years said that anybody that lived on a lake were a bunch of farmers and wouldn't be caught dead having a cottage/camp on them. And now it seems to be the going thing and it gives you a prestige image to say you have a large living facility on a lake which are fancier than the average Joe's home.

There is room for accessways on most of our lakes

And as far as owning land yes I do, and myself personally if I owned lake front property would have a ramp built, and welcome fishermen to use it and even offer them a cup of coffee on their way out just to be neighbourly and get a good fish tale from them and maybe tell a few fish yarns myself.

I find that the old time comradery is non existant these days

I also didn't mean to say build elaborate launches for pleasure size boats, just make better access to the lakes for the average guy like my self with his 12'/14' boats.

And as far as the trout vs. bass fishing thing. I do both but as others from my neck of the woods will agree our trout fishing up here is getting to be nearly non existant.

I had no luck i did not catch one trout last season just perch, buttercats and eels.

Most of the lakes are full of white and yellow perch. and in the lakes i mentioned that are now bass lakes, the perch had nearly exterminated the trout population and now the bass have helped cut down on the perch and some trout are showing up occasionally now.

The fee I mentioned is not the habitat stamp one that goes back to general revenues,that was added just a few years back.

If you are not old enough to remember ask an older fisherman, back about 25 to 30 years ago somewhere in the early ninety's, there was a notice that came out in the papers and on the radio that the cost of general fishing licenses (about $12.50 at the time ) would be raised by $5.00 to cover the cost of building boat ramps and access places for the handicapped in Nova Scotia. which I do not believed ever came to be done, up here especially.

I'm sorry if I insult anyone with this thread I am just stating my personal opinion as I've been fishing for over 60 years now and have seen and experienced a lot of fishing trials and tribulations. Some good & some bad. ... Liv [CPR]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.