Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on heading up to Wentworth Area with a couple friends, and was wondering if there are any public boat launches on Matattall Lake. If someone could give me coords for google earth that would be great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Talked to Blaine Ogden who runs a fishing charter and lodge for Bass (Silver Cross Fishing Lodge http://www.silvercrossfishinglodge.ca ) The folks on the opposite side of lake voted to gate the launch next year so will not be accessible for public Launching. If your want to experience great bass fishing contact Blaine (902)897-8860. He also does Atlantic Salmon Sept.& Oct. in the Phillip and Wallace river. Very reasonable rates.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow, I don't recall getting to vote. Are all the public waters of this province destined to become private just because we don't own the land around them like those "folks"??

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Is the launch site privately owned, or is it an old right-of- way to the lake? If the former, you're probably out of luck with a boat & trailer, but you could still launch a hand carried canoe or kayak as you are crossing, on foot, uncultivated land in order to fish, with rod and line in a public watercourse. If it is an old public right of way, the folks there have no business denying anyone access. There probably needs to be a conversation at the provincial level regarding the public having access to our public waters.

Having said that, it is a pretty lake to fish and is supposed to hold some real pigs. I spent 4 days at the lodge 3 or 4 years ago but unfortunately the fish gods did not favour me. I only caught dinks.

Regards.....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Is the launch site privately owned, or is it an old right-of- way to the lake? If the former, you're probably out of luck with a boat & trailer, but you could still launch a hand carried canoe or kayak as you are crossing, on foot, uncultivated land in order to fish, with rod and line in a public watercourse. If it is an old public right of way, the folks there have no business denying anyone access. There probably needs to be a conversation at the provincial level regarding the public having access to our public waters.
Having said that, it is a pretty lake to fish and is supposed to hold some real pigs. I spent 4 days at the lodge 3 or 4 years ago but unfortunately the fish gods did not favour me. I only caught dinks.
Regards.....
Or there needs to be a conversation at the provincial level about the public crossing private lands to fish, damaging and destroying property in the process. This is a two sided coin, trust me, I am both a fisher as well as property owner, the tales I can tell. I doubt in this case that it a right away. Not many of those that I know of. Just some folks thinking cause they accessed an area all their lives that they have the right. Not true unless written in a deed. Your right to access waterways is on foot, through non cultivated, non agricultural land, it is as simple as that, written in law.
Treat peoples property with respect, gates might not go up. My property here is used for everything, including a dump by the slob Striper Fishers.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Guest,

I both totally agree and sympathize with you. But I think that conversation was had a long time ago. Unfortunately, you probably have to be there to witness the damage and then, after you have identified the slob, go after them for the cost of the damages they caused. And good luck to you on that point. Don't get me wrong - I do not agree with the lack of teeth in the legislation as well as the apparent disinterest by enforcement folks in it (the POP act) but you have the ex attorney general Harry Howe to thank for adding the notwithstanding clauses.

There actually ARE a few old public rights of way which grant access to public waters. There actually are two that I know of which are within walking distance of my home.

Regards....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Guest,
I both totally agree and sympathize with you. But I think that conversation was had a long time ago. Unfortunately, you probably have to be there to witness the damage and then, after you have identified the slob, go after them for the cost of the damages they caused. And good luck to you on that point. Don't get me wrong - I do not agree with the lack of teeth in the legislation as well as the apparent disinterest by enforcement folks in it (the POP act) but you have the ex attorney general Harry Howe to thank for adding the notwithstanding clauses.
There actually ARE a few old public rights of way which grant access to public waters. There actually are two that I know of which are within walking distance of my home.

Regards....
Any challenge to "Slobs" regarding the PPA is a civil matter. I am sure you know what that means, it is at my expense through the legal system until a proven guilty verdict is determined. Than it is still up to me to attempt to recover costs. As far as the PP Act goes, it has been challenged, by me , through the Political system. I had some interesting emails from Provincial Legal Beagles. Not all see the act in the same manner. Regardless, this conversation can go on forever, keep destroying others property in the name of fishing/hunting, sooner or later it will bite you in the ass. As far as the old right of ways go, if not deeded, they are not valid. As well most specifically state that it applies only to adjacent landowners, not the public in general. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Guest,

I am very well aware of the process that we, as landowners must go through.....that is why you have my sympathy.

Regards....

·
Registered
171 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Mattatall is stocked? I do remember a few brookies last year that were missing adipose fins. In such a case, is it right to pay for a license that covers the cost of stocking and then have very limited access imposed on that lake. I know you can access on foot, but most of Mattatall is surrounded by cottages on private land, and trout don't tend to stay near a release site for long if that is the only area to fish.....high traffic anglers in a confined space. So, in time there will still be people launching boats, kayaks and canoes, if they can be carried down to the water. How has that solved the issue? This is very unfair to all the anglers that have boats on trailers or bad backs. We have very few lakes with decent launches now, how many will be left if the privatization continues? There is only one very sensible solution, make it a law that any lake with shore front development must have a decent right of way. I'm willing to pay a little more for a license if that helps to pay for boat trailer launches. They do this in Maine, where there is not only private land but private lakes. You can fish there for a week and try 3 lakes a day and still not run out of quality boat ramps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just came across this post on the closing of Matattal Lake launch. it's too bad as i use it all the time when i'm down in Wentworth. Well that now makes 3 bass lakes inaccessible to boat access here in Cumberland Co. 1st it was Angevine (Dewars) Lake, then this past summer they closed off the only launch available to public use on (Victoria) Big Lake and now Matattal.. Killarney lake is inaccessible as well. I think the only lake with a decent launch is (Maccan) Harrison Lake. it's a trout lake tho.

You know that they encourage us to get out and do some sport fishing in order to gouge us with the price of a license and taxes on our gear. and if my memory serves me a few years back they raised the cost of the license to cover the cost of building new boat launches and repairing old ones around the province.

well we aren't seeing any of this in Cumberland Co.

I think it's time for the power to be to take the initiative and make a stand and do something about getting launches erected on our lakes and good right of ways, also do something to stop our lakes becoming havens for private owners, and not accessible for public usage.

Rant done ...Liv

·
Registered
10 Posts
Time to fish a trout lake I guess there is lots of sport fishing opportunities other than bass as of now in the province. How
Much should the government spend for boat launches and parking for everybody's trucks and bass boat trailers? Is there room or the land on those lakes to make them. In my opinion if people could keep bass confined to those lakes in Cumberland county and stop spreading them it would worth the government spending the money to build them.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i just came across this post on the closing of Matattal Lake launch. it's too bad as i use it all the time when i'm down in Wentworth. Well that now makes 3 bass lakes inaccessible to boat access here in Cumberland Co. 1st it was Angevine (Dewars) Lake, then this past summer they closed off the only launch available to public use on (Victoria) Big Lake and now Matattal.. Killarney lake is inaccessible as well. I think the only lake with a decent launch is (Maccan) Harrison Lake. it's a trout lake tho.
You know that they encourage us to get out and do some sport fishing in order to gouge us with the price of a license and taxes on our gear. and if my memory serves me a few years back they raised the cost of the license to cover the cost of building new boat launches and repairing old ones around the province.
well we aren't seeing any of this in Cumberland Co.
I think it's time for the power to be to take the initiative and make a stand and do something about getting launches erected on our lakes and good right of ways, also do something to stop our lakes becoming havens for private owners, and not accessible for public usage.

Rant done ...Liv
.Are you aware how many stretches of water there are in NS. What you are suggesting would be monumental in costs alone. As well how many lakes, waterways etc. have no access? Not many. You already are granted rights to access water through private property, with a very small amount of exclusions, on foot , for the purpose of fishing. Because you want to fish a waterway with a boat should not preclude property owner rights. I am certain that you own property, perhaps it is not located on water, but none the less in your way of thinking others should be able to access it, for their own personal usage, whether a short cut somewhere or another issue. The lakes that are polluted with Bass that have access are also a dumping ground. Have you ever had a close look at Panuke Lake(Three Mile Plains) , BRL, just to name two, around their launches. A sad mess indeed. Than I could mention my own chunk of land that has a boat launch on it. Private indeed, but as of yet ungated. It turns into a mess, both from Trucks and the endless dumping of garbage on it annually. I can go further as well, the old Bowater Land, now crown, have had public access opened in the last two years. That land around its waterways has gone from pristine to a bloody mess. Need not ask why private property owners have issues with access through their lands, better to ask why not.

The fee that is received from your licence purchases goes back to general revenues within the Government. It is not destined for any one particular item. In this province which is totally broke I am sure it is likely used in some form to be applied to the red ink. As far as improving already existing Public Launches, I might suggest that you make application to the department to access the Habitat Stamp Fund revenues that are collected annually in addition to your license fees. Even individuals can make application for usage of this Habitant Stamp Fund

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not saying I condone people making messes as we have our fair share here in Cumberland as well. What I was implying is that on the lakes I mentioned there were public accesses on them but, It seems that the people who purchased the land near them think they own the whole lake and frown upon anyone using them for fishing.

and either built on them or blocked them in some capacity.

Most of them don't fish, just drive their big boats and watercraft on disrupting us guys with small boats trying to get a lil fishing done

I find that most of these people are from urban areas who for years said that anybody that lived on a lake were a bunch of farmers and wouldn't be caught dead having a cottage/camp on them. And now it seems to be the going thing and it gives you a prestige image to say you have a large living facility on a lake which are fancier than the average Joe's home.

There is room for accessways on most of our lakes

And as far as owning land yes I do, and myself personally if I owned lake front property would have a ramp built, and welcome fishermen to use it and even offer them a cup of coffee on their way out just to be neighbourly and get a good fish tale from them and maybe tell a few fish yarns myself.

I find that the old time comradery is non existant these days

I also didn't mean to say build elaborate launches for pleasure size boats, just make better access to the lakes for the average guy like my self with his 12'/14' boats.

And as far as the trout vs. bass fishing thing. I do both but as others from my neck of the woods will agree our trout fishing up here is getting to be nearly non existant.

I had no luck i did not catch one trout last season just perch, buttercats and eels.

Most of the lakes are full of white and yellow perch. and in the lakes i mentioned that are now bass lakes, the perch had nearly exterminated the trout population and now the bass have helped cut down on the perch and some trout are showing up occasionally now.

The fee I mentioned is not the habitat stamp one that goes back to general revenues,that was added just a few years back.

If you are not old enough to remember ask an older fisherman, back about 25 to 30 years ago somewhere in the early ninety's, there was a notice that came out in the papers and on the radio that the cost of general fishing licenses (about $12.50 at the time ) would be raised by $5.00 to cover the cost of building boat ramps and access places for the handicapped in Nova Scotia. which I do not believed ever came to be done, up here especially.

I'm sorry if I insult anyone with this thread I am just stating my personal opinion as I've been fishing for over 60 years now and have seen and experienced a lot of fishing trials and tribulations. Some good & some bad. ... Liv [CPR]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Matattal lake . Good luck ! I went there to see where I can put my little boat in . All the roads and drives marked private .
Some had chains put up .
It is like the houses on the lake feel it is a private lake .
Here is the worst part . Our tax dollars pay to stick the damn thing .
So time for that to change or the Ns government needs to make an access point for people that want to use the lake .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Matattal lake . Good luck ! I went there to see where I can put my little boat in . All the roads and drives marked private .
Some had chains put up .
It is like the houses on the lake feel it is a private lake .
Here is the worst part . Our tax dollars pay to stick the damn thing .
So time for that to change or the Ns government needs to make an access point for people that want to use the lake .
I have noticed a couple lakes and much crown land on the Eastern Shore that are locked behind private land. Good chunk in Musquodoboit that it behind a Taylor lumber no trespassing area. I think there should be guaranteed right of way to public land and lakes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts