Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've only ever made one that I saw in a magazine once.

Made mine from Coors Light. Tried it a few different places for fun, only ever caught 1 fish on it though. lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
i also make those beer bottle cap lures, on the first day a few years back it was the only thing that i had luck with, 2, 12'' brookies. I have caught quite a few other fish on it to!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also have 1 of those a friend gave me one time. He melted lead or some metal to give it weight. Caught a few of those toothy fellas on it but of course they will hit a bare hook on the right day>

·
1,353 Posts
I have made a mold out of plaster Paris and melted some old plastics and hand poured them. It was kina like reinventing the wheel. Unless you have something in mind that you cannot get, it's not worth it. Fun thou!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have made a mold out of plaster Paris and melted some old plastics and hand poured them. It was kina like reinventing the wheel. Unless you have something in mind that you cannot get, it's not worth it. Fun thou!
Ya you have a point there Perry. I just want to get into it just as a little hobby on the off season and for the amount of bass fishing me and my friends do it would be cheaper to make my own. I know you do alot of carvings, have you ever carved any topwater lures? any tips or tricks?

·
1,353 Posts
Once again, reinventing the wheel!! lol The only top-water lure I found I needed and couldn't get was a Dragonfly. So I made some out of a dowel and painted it and it worked fine. The only problem was the use of eye screws to attach the hooks. They will not hold for a long time and have a tendency to pull out. The only way to make a lasting attachment for the hooks was drill a small hole thru it and thread a wire from the hooks to the rear and attach mono to the wire by a loop. The hooks are attached to a split ring. Use your imagination!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you are really horny to make your own lures, try going to tackleunderground.org They have a very well developed site with tutorials on just about any technical lure subject you could dream up. One of the "senior" and very talented advisors/contributors is a guy from Yarmouth, NS who has been making custom hand poured softbaits (and selling them)for years. Sorry, but I have forgotten his name. Regards...

·
Registered
44 Posts
.... The hooks are attached to a split ring. ...
Any suggestions where I can get some very small split rings suitable for replacing hooks. I have been looking around town lately with no luck.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check with Fishing Fever. Failing that try Netcraft.com under split rings....They have assorted sizes in lots of 25 at about $1.50... Regards...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone else tried or makes their own soft plastic lures? Or does anyone know where in Nova Scotia someone can buy a bucket of liquid plastisol?
I do all the time but not sure where to get the plastisol in Canada though.I order it from the states and make completley round senko molds.Check out www.basstackle.com they accept Paypal too. Mold makes perfect senko and i never throw away my baits when they get chewed up lol I make them new again!!! I have also made the Plaster Of Paris ones did a few Super Fluke ones its pretty easy and yes its fun especially in winter time when nothin else to do lol Spring comes and your all stocked up again

Fishin Fever,CT and Wally World charges way way way too much for Senkos and Flukes.I either make my own or get tons for cheep on ebay or other online sources.Same goes for wide gap hooks lol 6 bucks for a 5 pack is rediculas, stores around here are totally trying to rip people.
I can get a bag of 50 4"-5" inch Senkos for little over $10 bucks on Ebay and 100 hooks for around same price and good hooks too.
Basicly everything in NS is overpriced and over taxed so ya gotta find alternitives.Its saves a few bucks and ya have way more gear to play with!Burnin up baits and hooks from Pickeral aint no big deal anymore here! Plenty where I get them from.

Happy Fishin Bros!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have made hard body baits for striper fishing in the past, they were made from old broomstick. I made both solid body and jointed ones. They did work but live bait works better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i make a few different ones and when i get board i make a bunch up and take them to flie markets of swap meets. i make lead minos and one i call a wabeler its made from scrap pipeing. i also make a nice handline weaght and a small selection of reloading good. I make a few dollars but its more for fun them anything.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have often wondered if the liquid laytex you can buy in craft stores would be suitable for poring into a mould. I use it to make moulds of plaster ornaments of faces and animals. I will give it a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to making lures and I was wondering if it matters what color beads I use as long as it is plastic... I was also wondering if I can use the glow in the dark plastic beads? If anyone has any suggestions on what I can use please let me know.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts