Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's the best rig for catching mackerel from shore? I've got a 5 hook rig from Canadian Tire but I've had no luck with it. I've also tried a black/silver, a black/green and a black/pink mackerel rig from bass pro. I have had no luck. Others have caught mackerel at the place I am. I think my technique is the same but I'd love to hear suggestions on the best way to catch some mackerel. Tides are right for me this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What's the best rig for catching mackerel from shore? I've got a 5 hook rig from Canadian Tire but I've had no luck with it. I've also tried a black/silver, a black/green and a black/pink mackerel rig from bass pro. I have had no luck. Others have caught mackerel at the place I am. I think my technique is the same but I'd love to hear suggestions on the best way to catch some mackerel. Tides are right for me this week.
try the gibbs minnow lure, or those Canadian tire minnow lures, come in a 2 pack. I find blue works the best. Feathers/sabiki are good but you can cast a lot further with a lure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Out today all over Halifax Harbour and up Bedford Basin looking for the big mackerel.
Caught 6 keepers and 70 releasers
Water temp 18 8 C at McNabs lighthouse and Sleepy Cove
Water temp 22.2 in Bedford basin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Out today on a grocery run from my remote cottage up the eastern shore. Tried some trolling on the way back with the groceries.
Caught 1 keeper! 0 releasers. Gotter on the ol red devil.
Water temp feels fairly warm.
Thanks Gary! Happy i'm on the board! Perhaps next time its not too windy I'll head out for a better go of it and let ya know. Appreciate your posts.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts