Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a guy say he fishes Point Pleasant all the time for mackerel and never would've thought of that.... any suggestions on where on the water that area is good for fishing? It's close by and something I can do more often than some other options... thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Id say anywhere along there including the waterfront would provide success, probably better from the waterfront actually because you could reach deeper water easier

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id say anywhere along there including the waterfront would provide success, probably better from the waterfront actually because you could reach deeper water easier
Do you mean off the parking lot of PPP or deeper in?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Meant anywhere along point pleasant should be good but im not sure how quickly it drops off to deep from shore. Down by Pier 20 I seen mack breaking water earlier in the week you can cast out from the wharf and cover alot of deep water but its probably not a comfortable as fishing at the park with all the people on the waterfront

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I was a kid my uncle used to take me fishing in PPP. There's a sidewalk alongside the parking lot that used to extend to a lighthouse if my memory serves me well. We used to fish there and catch lots of mackerel and pollock. The port has claimed that and fenced it off now. You planning on keeping the macks? If so, why not try Herring Cover, Eastern Passage or somewhere a bit further away. I wouldn't trust the harbour water quality, at least not yet. If you're getting them for striper bait well I suppose you could keep them but I guess it could be seen as the same thing. Just not my preference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The area around china town and the pier in bedford are good spots for macks as well as under the Mcay bridge if to just fishing for fun.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Personaly................................I would NOT eat any fish caught in the Halifax Harbour for the next 100 Years!!!

The harbour has been used for a septic tank for over two centuries, and it still has raw sewage running straight into it!!!!!

Would you take a fish you caught anywhere else, and dip them in your toilet before you eat them???????

·
Registered
203 Posts
So the harbour is like dipping sauce then? LOL. I defniitely wouldn't encourage anyone to eat them either. I still think it will be interesting to see the development of the harbour water quality over the years. It should have a direct impact on sea life. I only wish they had built a better sewage treatment plant.

·
Banned
613 Posts
So the harbour is like dipping sauce then? LOL. I defniitely wouldn't encourage anyone to eat them either. I still think it will be interesting to see the development of the harbour water quality over the years. It should have a direct impact on sea life. I only wish they had built a better sewage treatment plant.
Hey Jay,
last year I had a part time job doing some Dockside Monitoring of the Commercial Herring boats. They would rather land the fish in Sheet Harbour than in Halifax. One of the many reasons was that they could NOT use the polluted water from the Halifax harbour to pump the fish off the boat!!! They had to buy fresh clean water from the local facility to pump the fish off the boat!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts