Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner

Maccabe Lake

15K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  LunkerHunter 
#1 ·
Anyone have any information about Small mouth population and Sizes in Maccabes Lake in Sackville? Thinking about making a trip there this evening..

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
ots, Am I correct in understanding that you were going to construct a launch free of charge on your own property at McCabe lake for public access and use and your very generous offer was rejected?? Could you clarify who it was that said they did not want to share as well as what was the name of the mean spirited "local polititian"?? Regards....

#7 ·
Shimanoman

No it was on deeded lake access property not mine. I was working with Eddie at CASA and he gave me the OK to put the proposal out to them. It was voted down by the White Hills Residence Society and was not supported by their board (In fact it was trashed). I'm not sure of the politians name as I was sick for that meeting.

I even tried running for the head of the parks / project group but was soundly defeated when I told them it was my objective to put the ramp in.

Without sounding like I'm whining, I don't understand people. They could of had a free ramp but turned it down because they were afraid of a few people coming here. Lots of excuses of property value, parking, etc but personally I think it was that they did not want to share. IMHO.

As of now there is a park being built on the lake with no water access in the neighbouring subdivision and our land is fallow and I believe will never be used.

Go figure....

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just recently moved to the area from Cape Breton and it looks like McCabe Lake will be my new home field. Very sad to hear about the situation with the local residents. Just wanted to say that if any one has any info the speices of fish in the system and or is looking for someone to take part in some fishing, send me an e-mail. I access the lake around white hills area at a spot that allows you to launch a canoe or if your ambitious..... An aluminum with a motor thats light enough to carry

#9 ·
It appears as though the McCabe lake access will become like the one at Fish Lake. I have never fished that body of water but, just out of spite, I may travel there so I can do my part to "lower the property values" of these mean-spirited landowners. Regards...

#10 ·
McCabe is a fun lake to fish actually and Im not too sure of rules but I heard that its allowed to cross private property to get access to a body of water.I do know a way in there and its a little rough but its worth it and I don't care about the trespassing signs.Just because some rich arseholes buy up all the propertys around lakes they think that they actually own the body of water with the land and have all traditional launch's gated as well,it's sickening really when ya come across them!...it is really getting annoying.Just out of "spite" maybe we could get together and stand on the edge of their backyards and cast for some lunkers.Oh yes it is legal too!!!These people DO NOT own the shoreline or the lake!!!Would love to prove this to them if they called the cops on us and then I would stay for hours just for "spite".
1st,2nd and 3rd lakes in Sackville same thing all gated up now because some jackoffs want the whole entire lake for their stupid Seadoos and SeaDoo boats!!! They hate seeing people in "their" lakes fishing.
I HOPE THESE IDIOTS HIT A BIG ROCK SOME DAY SOON!!!!Especially in 3rd Lake what a bunch some of them yahoos are.

All bass anglers have to stand up to this BS and fight to get the launch's back because where we use to launch is still there and were there well before these arrogent folks came along and built their oversized houses,big patio docks and SeaDoo trampolines then seem to think nobody else is allowed in.It's really Pathetic!

#16 ·
Stormy Thanks for the FYI about the key.....I don't have a problem with purchasing a key in order to access the lake. $20.00 is certainly a modest fee. I understand that the "gating" of the lake/launch access roads was done because of trash/broken glass issues caused by "the usual suspects" I was, however, unaware that keys are available for purchase. If this is/becomes policy, it would certainly resolve any "Public Access" issue in HRM where there is actual public access via a road which has been gated. I'm sure that if one had purchased a key, they would never join the ranks of "the usual suspects". Regards....

#18 ·
I heard that story too.Love how they blame their kid's mess on all guys like us.
The "usual suspects" is the teenagers of these folks that live around the lakes not Bass fisherman!
A gate is not going to stop the local teenagers from drinking and smashing beer bottles around the edge of the lakes.
The garbage is what the people who live on the lake who do not want to share use as an excuse to get the
launches gated.
Gates are there keep everyone else's boats out of the lake.
Litter is 99.9% from the local punks!They will always be there too but they blame everyone else but themselves.
These people are donkeys!

#20 ·
Matt

That "special interest group" was in fact a "personal interest group". For multiple years they pushed for the closing of the road to the lake. After multiple attempts the powers that be got tired of the them, rolled on their backs and gave them everything they wanted.

Who can blame them. Why put up with the grief when they knew that all of the clubs, organizations and fisherman would not do anything except complain to each other but not push the issue. I am personally sick and tired of the attitude "we cannot rock the boat or they might get mad at us and take away what little we still have".

I do not know how to start it and I have absolutely no authority but I'm trying to put together something to address what is going on and I will start a new thread shortly to obtain "Facts" on what the problems are, who caused them, how to address them and the issues we are facing.

From there I will put it together, try to have "ALL" fishing organizations in NS radify it and they have the general fishing population sign some form of petition. Then I will send it to all government bodies/officials and the media.

It is time we embarass those who are responsible for this situation and force there hands.

Best Fishes,
onthesqr (AKA - Charles)

#23 ·
If there is a group being formed to take back OUR lakes, I would certainly be interested in joining. There is a guy in Grand Lake who has a line of buoys across the mouth of a river flowing into the lake so no one can cast there. Some people must know exactly where I mean. He doesn't own the lake but is stopping people from fishing there. He is not alowed to do this but is getting away with it because no one is complaining. It's time to start a thread on these items I think.

#24 ·
My 2 cents,

Garbage is absolutely not 99.9% caused by the local punks. All you have to do is go fishing anywhere and you will find in the most remote places, plastic bags, beer cans/bottles and my biggest pet peeve...Tim Horton's coffee cups. Fisher people are leaving garbage everywhere out there and it is really sad. I usually bring an extra bag with me and collect the trash others have left behind.

Why does every lake in the province need a launch for power boats? I do not think that they do. We have so many lakes in the province and all over the HRM that you can put a power boat into, I think there is no need to complain over a small number that do not make it easy for whatever reason. I use a canoe to get into lakes to fish and I enjoy the peace and quiet of lakes that do not have any or are very limited to power boats.

There are also lots of lakes here that have terrific fish in them but you can't use a power boat as they are so rocky you will have your engine chewed up in seconds. Will you form an association to have those lakes dredged so that you can safely power through them? I doubt it.

Not every lake needs a launch. If you want to fish the lake it is your right, but get a canoe or a kayak.

Cheers,

James

Reactions: pmorris
#25 ·
Interesting post, James, and I agree with many of your comments.

As a "self-propelled" angler, I like the idea of the peace, quiet and safety of a water body without powered craft. At the same time, I acknowledge and respect the interest that others show in powered boating. I'd also be a hypocrite if I didn't add that I'm quick to jump at the opportunity to join a "motorized" angler in his/her boat to enjoy a day of fishing.

Anyway, I'm in full support of the democratization of water access and I thought that the following angle might be an interesting twist:

How about restricting any water body that does not have public access for powered watercraft to self-propelled boating only? That would restrict the landowners on McCabe to the use of canoes, kayaks, etc. (which some landowers would applaud and others would appall). Self-propelled boaters would still be entitled to access any lake, but the cost of a public ramp and potential for loitering, trash problems, etc. would be minimized. In other words, if it's powered watercraft for any, it's powered watercraft for all.

Thoughts?
Paul

#26 ·
Paul,

I could not agree with you more. I absolutely agree that lakes and oceanfront be accessible to every resident. I do not believe that because you are "wealthy" that you can restrict access to a piece of water.

That being said, if a piece of water is power restricted to the community, it should also be restricted to the immediate residents. If I were a resident of a lake like that, I would not want sea doos etc.. on it regardless of if it was another residents or from a citizen that lived elsewhere.

Your solution is simple and fair. I endorse it utterly, as always you are a gentleman with sound ideas and good judgement.

Cheers,

James

#28 ·
Nice to see someone finally admit in a thread that anglers are part of the garbage issue. I am sure most here are part of the solution not the problem.

In the same thread you guys are talking about getting launches on lakes and wanting lake access, and then talk about restricting the use of powered water craft on lakes. Seems a bit hypocritical to me...

I have a bass boat and a canoe so I can if I choose fish most lakes including most if not all in this thread. I don't need new launches or additional access to do this.

I feel that if you guys want to organize and fight for lake access then go for it, but it doesn't sound sincere. Really it sounds like just like another special interest group trying to control who and what happens on our waters.

And why always take shots at home owners on lakes? I wish I was one, maybe someday I can be. I don't think the home owners were involved in the development of the subdivision or the designation of land for parks, public use or boat launches. I think we as a group would be better of not taking shots at homeowners. Sure some of them need some education on the angling act, and some are arrogant, there are people in all groups that can be described like that, including anglers.

I think a reasonable mission statement of some sort needs to be clearly defined, anglers can move forward from there.

Paul it's great you're posting and thinking about the issue, but I have to disagree with your twist. I'll also say I haven't yet come up with a solution that I think is fair to everyone.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't think anyone mentioned having a boat launch on "every lake in the province". The point that is being made here is that a number of lakes with boat launches are being lost to different forms of development. There are also many large, suitable bodies of water that when developed should include a launch area for ALL forms of watercraft so that EVERYONE (even those who for whatever reason cannot physically carry a canoe, kayak , float tube, etc.) can enjoy the sport we enjoy without being crammed into a diminishing number of lakes. I don't see how that's trying to "control who and what happens on our waters".

It may suprise you to know that most of the people fishing from power boats care about the resource every bit as much as the non-powered crowd. I also suspect that most of those people (myself included) also own canoes, kayaks, car-toppers, float tubes, etc.

The number of lakes that will remain accessable to non-powered craft only, will always be exponential to the ones that will be utilized by larger watercraft.

James,I think you are correct to doubt that there will be a "Nova Scotia Lake Dredging Association" any time soon. I also agree that some of the garbage does come from "anglers" but hopefully it's offset by good people like you & I, who try to leave a place better than we found it.

Skeeter, how do you feel about lakes that once had launches that are no longer accessable to the public? What if in ten years you could not get your bass boat on some of the lakes you use it on now? It's great that you can use a canoe to get on the water. What about those who can't? I've heard the average age of the Nova Scotia fishing license holder is going up. Don't forget about people with injuries or those who don't feel safe in smaller craft. Should that not matter because that's not the situation we're currently in?

Good Fishing, no matter how you choose to pursue it ( legally & ethically of course )!
Matt

#30 ·
I am all for access to the water, but I guess I think it should be for all water craft. Anglers as a group fish from shore, to bass boats or larger and everything in between. So as anglers I think if we want access to the water it should be for all anglers in all watercraft.

Access for everyone including the disabled would be great. Like I said I haven't come up with a solution that works for everyone.

Really I think the best way to have access to a lake and not have to worry about losing that access is to own it. Not depend on the government or someone else to provide and pay for it. This is where home owners have it made. They don't have to worry about the issue of public launches etc. they've got their access as long as they want period.

#31 ·
While I can see both positions of this Motors vs Paddles, debate. Maybe we ought to step back for some thought before we rush headlong into the fray. Perhaps the first order of business ought to be legislation which would set aside a designated place for "Public Access" on all lakes and watercourses in the province. Some folks mistakenly believe that the Angling Act allows ANY angler to cross ANY property on foot to gain legal access to ANY lake or watercourse to fish with rod and line. This is simply not so. It is most obvious in built up areas of HRM where private property owners own all of the land surrounding a lake. After access HAS been obtained, perhaps then is the time to worry as to how the access will be used or upgraded. In efforts of trying to obtain universal access, it would probably behoove us to be "cooperational" rather than "confrontational". Just sayin'..... Regards.....

#33 ·
I just have a point to make. We talk about Public Access and then we complain when some bureaucrat decides that they are going to prevent us from using it and they can, its within their powers. Private property rights are sacred. If we want launches then we get together buy land and build them charge a small membership fee to use them. I really don't like hearing how the government has to solve all our problems guys. The government never does anything right and remember a government big enough to give you everything you want surely is big enough o take it all away. Now lets all watch a video of Ronald Reagan.

Colin

#40 ·
Colin, we all know of your tea-bagger political philosophy, but let's try to keep political ideology out of these forums. Chanting bumper-sticker slogans just tics people off.

In this instance, a lake, river, stream, pond, or ocean is either publicly owned, or it is privately owned. Now, in places like Ontario, if you can hop, jump, or wade across a body of water when it is at its high water mark, you can 'own' its bottom, just as much as you own its shore. You own it, and everybody else is a trespasser if they come near it. But I digress, since no such 'property rights' exist in N.S.

In N.S., the high water mark marks the end of private property. The exposed beach, littoral, and bottom are public property. It therefore stands to reason that the water that stands beside and atop of that public land is, perforce, public water.

So every fair to middling natural water body in N.S. is as public as any public park or picnic ground or public garden. And that includes marine waters.

So now all that has to be settled is the question of individual usage of this public property. Restrictions of use can apply in parks and gardens, so restrictions, rules, and regulations can apply to public bodies of water. But they cannot be made up by the private individuals lucky enough to own a chunk of the waterfront surrounding the water in question-not singly, nor as an organized pressure group. The decision wrt usage of any public water must be made by the public at large, just as is done with public parks. It's their water, after all.

To my way of thinking, Paul has offered a perfectly fair yardstick for determining certain forms of usage--namely what's permitted shore residents must be permitted to the general public, and what is not permitted to the general public, must be forbidden to shoreline residents. "Not Permitted" must be expanded to "Not Available", because lack of public access is de facto lack of permission. So, if lake dwellers want to race wake-boats about so that large children of indeterminate age can bounce off artificial surf on their boards, then they must make sure that the general public has a public launch ramp so that they, too, can launch their great big awesome motor boats and indulge in the same kind of fun and games. Fair's fair.

If a lake is too small for a public boat launch, then it is, by that token, too small for power boating. For anyone.

Just my opinion,

chuck

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
Eastside, I was trying to make a similar point. Not sure how to finance something like you're suggesting, I assume liability insurance etc. is required, and launch maintenance etc. But you're right if we want something that can't be taken away then it has to be ours.

Next question is who is ours? Is it just anglers, does in include recreational boaters, the general public?

Third Lake for example, where can we purchase a piece of land to gain access to that lake?

I'm the guy with the Skeeter, we talked in my garage a few weeks ago for about 20 minutes.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gentlemen, I am not suggesting that the Govt give us this land. I am suggesting that legislation be enacted so that whenever land is developed around a lake, it be required as part of the Sub-division agreement/inspection process that a public right of way to the water's edge be included in the subdivision plans. As for anglers "buying" waterfront property. When have you ever seen any group of anglers,(ie this forum) be able to agree on anything?? Much less actually put serious money down to accomplish their ends?? Remember the objections to having a $5.00 surcharge on our fishing license for conservation/habitat renewal?? The lands which already have a right of way which is gated should addressed as a different issue. Pick your battles. One at a time. Just sayin',- again. Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.