Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any information about Small mouth population and Sizes in Maccabes Lake in Sackville? Thinking about making a trip there this evening..

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I've heard that the population is good, but I haven't heard any intel on sizes... which means one of two things

Where's the easiest spot to put in a yak or canoe on McCabe?

Paul

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard that the population is good, but I haven't heard any intel on sizes... which means one of two things

Where's the easiest spot to put in a yak or canoe on McCabe?

Paul
There is a Park off Westpoint Dr that looks pretty easy. However I am going to take the truck down some back roads and try for an easier launch. Population is good in Webber, however haven't had any monsters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a Park off Westpoint Dr that looks pretty easy. However I am going to take the truck down some back roads and try for an easier launch. Population is good in Webber, however haven't had any monsters.
Big population, Big fish but very finicky. Good luck trying to get a truck close however. The only way is to come in off the 101 and go in via the old Davis path.

This lake is a sore point for me. I live in one of its subdivisions and offered (Via CASA) to put a launch in free of charge. They said no with the main reason being they do not want to share. Also pressure from the local politician who does not want boated lake access killed my offer.

Overall however it is a fantastic lake as long as the wind is not from the north. Lot's of 18+ inchers and a number of very aggressive 20 plus inchers. The key is to know the spots and to be lucky enough to be there when they are. Otherwise you can catch 12 - 16 inchers all day.

Best fishes,

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ots, Am I correct in understanding that you were going to construct a launch free of charge on your own property at McCabe lake for public access and use and your very generous offer was rejected?? Could you clarify who it was that said they did not want to share as well as what was the name of the mean spirited "local polititian"?? Regards....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Used to be one of my favorite lakes back when you could get a boat into it. Now the only way I know of is through a subdivision off the lucasville rd, and that requires a bit of a carry. I never caught anything over 20" but lots in the 12-18" range.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Shimanoman

No it was on deeded lake access property not mine. I was working with Eddie at CASA and he gave me the OK to put the proposal out to them. It was voted down by the White Hills Residence Society and was not supported by their board (In fact it was trashed). I'm not sure of the politians name as I was sick for that meeting.

I even tried running for the head of the parks / project group but was soundly defeated when I told them it was my objective to put the ramp in.

Without sounding like I'm whining, I don't understand people. They could of had a free ramp but turned it down because they were afraid of a few people coming here. Lots of excuses of property value, parking, etc but personally I think it was that they did not want to share. IMHO.

As of now there is a park being built on the lake with no water access in the neighbouring subdivision and our land is fallow and I believe will never be used.

Go figure....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just recently moved to the area from Cape Breton and it looks like McCabe Lake will be my new home field. Very sad to hear about the situation with the local residents. Just wanted to say that if any one has any info the speices of fish in the system and or is looking for someone to take part in some fishing, send me an e-mail. I access the lake around white hills area at a spot that allows you to launch a canoe or if your ambitious..... An aluminum with a motor thats light enough to carry

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It appears as though the McCabe lake access will become like the one at Fish Lake. I have never fished that body of water but, just out of spite, I may travel there so I can do my part to "lower the property values" of these mean-spirited landowners. Regards...

·
Registered
10 Posts
It appears as though the McCabe lake access will become like the one at Fish Lake. I have never fished that body of water but, just out of spite, I may travel there so I can do my part to "lower the property values" of these mean-spirited landowners. Regards...
McCabe is a fun lake to fish actually and Im not too sure of rules but I heard that its allowed to cross private property to get access to a body of water.I do know a way in there and its a little rough but its worth it and I don't care about the trespassing signs.Just because some rich arseholes buy up all the propertys around lakes they think that they actually own the body of water with the land and have all traditional launch's gated as well,it's sickening really when ya come across them!...it is really getting annoying.Just out of "spite" maybe we could get together and stand on the edge of their backyards and cast for some lunkers.Oh yes it is legal too!!!These people DO NOT own the shoreline or the lake!!!Would love to prove this to them if they called the cops on us and then I would stay for hours just for "spite".
1st,2nd and 3rd lakes in Sackville same thing all gated up now because some jackoffs want the whole entire lake for their stupid Seadoos and SeaDoo boats!!! They hate seeing people in "their" lakes fishing.
I HOPE THESE IDIOTS HIT A BIG ROCK SOME DAY SOON!!!!Especially in 3rd Lake what a bunch some of them yahoos are.

All bass anglers have to stand up to this BS and fight to get the launch's back because where we use to launch is still there and were there well before these arrogent folks came along and built their oversized houses,big patio docks and SeaDoo trampolines then seem to think nobody else is allowed in.It's really Pathetic!

·
Registered
15 Posts
McCabe is a fun lake to fish actually and Im not too sure of rules but I heard that its allowed to cross private property to get access to a body of water.I do know a way in there and its a little rough but its worth it and I don't care about the trespassing signs.Just because some rich arseholes buy up all the propertys around lakes they think that they actually own the body of water with the land and have all traditional launch's gated as well,it's sickening really when ya come across them!...it is really getting annoying.Just out of "spite" maybe we could get together and stand on the edge of their backyards and cast for some lunkers.Oh yes it is legal too!!!These people DO NOT own the shoreline or the lake!!!Would love to prove this to them if they called the cops on us and then I would stay for hours just for "spite".
1st,2nd and 3rd lakes in Sackville same thing all gated up now because some jackoffs want the whole entire lake for their stupid Seadoos and SeaDoo boats!!! They hate seeing people in "their" lakes fishing.
I HOPE THESE IDIOTS HIT A BIG ROCK SOME DAY SOON!!!!Especially in 3rd Lake what a bunch some of them yahoos are.

All bass anglers have to stand up to this BS and fight to get the launch's back because where we use to launch is still there and were there well before these arrogent folks came along and built their oversized houses,big patio docks and SeaDoo trampolines then seem to think nobody else is allowed in.It's really Pathetic!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with all everyone says about lake access but fyi First lake in Sackville is accessable you can buy a key for the gate $20 bucks for life. Just contact the people on the sign at the gate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI Stormy Is the road too a launch? or just the lake.Is the road been fix up ,am thinking this is the spot
I hear about that use to be used years ago by a friend ,never been there my self .

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
HI Stormy Is the road too a launch? or just the lake.Is the road been fix up ,am thinking this is the spot
I hear about that use to be used years ago by a friend ,never been there my self .

John
Hi John! That is the same launch just gated! Same goes for 2nd Lake use to be able to drive right up to that lake
and they have that gated too.It sucks!!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Stormy Thanks for the FYI about the key.....I don't have a problem with purchasing a key in order to access the lake. $20.00 is certainly a modest fee. I understand that the "gating" of the lake/launch access roads was done because of trash/broken glass issues caused by "the usual suspects" I was, however, unaware that keys are available for purchase. If this is/becomes policy, it would certainly resolve any "Public Access" issue in HRM where there is actual public access via a road which has been gated. I'm sure that if one had purchased a key, they would never join the ranks of "the usual suspects". Regards....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stormy Thanks for the FYI about the key.....I don't have a problem with purchasing a key in order to access the lake. $20.00 is certainly a modest fee. I understand that the "gating" of the lake/launch access roads was done because of trash/broken glass issues caused by "the usual suspects" I was, however, unaware that keys are available for purchase. If this is/becomes policy, it would certainly resolve any "Public Access" issue in HRM where there is actual public access via a road which has been gated. I'm sure that if one had purchased a key, they would never join the ranks of "the usual suspects". Regards....
Your right there about the trash that is probably why we can't get into a lot of the lakes today

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your right there about the trash that is probably why we can't get into a lot of the lakes today
I heard that story too.Love how they blame their kid's mess on all guys like us.
The "usual suspects" is the teenagers of these folks that live around the lakes not Bass fisherman!
A gate is not going to stop the local teenagers from drinking and smashing beer bottles around the edge of the lakes.
The garbage is what the people who live on the lake who do not want to share use as an excuse to get the
launches gated.
Gates are there keep everyone else's boats out of the lake.
Litter is 99.9% from the local punks!They will always be there too but they blame everyone else but themselves.
These people are donkeys!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's still no public boat access to Second Lake. A few years back a "special interest group" in conjunction with Dept of Natural Resources closed the launch to the public. Apparently there's a nice walking path there now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Matt

That "special interest group" was in fact a "personal interest group". For multiple years they pushed for the closing of the road to the lake. After multiple attempts the powers that be got tired of the them, rolled on their backs and gave them everything they wanted.

Who can blame them. Why put up with the grief when they knew that all of the clubs, organizations and fisherman would not do anything except complain to each other but not push the issue. I am personally sick and tired of the attitude "we cannot rock the boat or they might get mad at us and take away what little we still have".

I do not know how to start it and I have absolutely no authority but I'm trying to put together something to address what is going on and I will start a new thread shortly to obtain "Facts" on what the problems are, who caused them, how to address them and the issues we are facing.

From there I will put it together, try to have "ALL" fishing organizations in NS radify it and they have the general fishing population sign some form of petition. Then I will send it to all government bodies/officials and the media.

It is time we embarass those who are responsible for this situation and force there hands.

Best Fishes,
onthesqr (AKA - Charles)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts