Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Im going to be fishing in a place that has some large carnivorous sea run brown trout so I'm looking for some streamer or larger patterns that closely imitate brown trout, pinfish and rainbow smelts.

Ive caught these trout on the large brown trout pattern Rapalas and have found small browns and smelts in their stomachs but so far have only been able to raise one smaller one to the fly and this year I want to fix that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I doubt you could go wrong with a box full of Muddler Minnows. Grey Ghosts, Mickey Finns, Deceivers and Zonkers in various colours would also be good choices.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A big smelt muddler might do the trick. Try throwing a mouse at them at dark.

Are you fishing these browns in freshwater. If so, when the drake or hex hatch is on it would provide some great action

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its actually brackish water, they share habitat with flatfish also lol. Ive thrown mice, ducklings, mickey finns, black ghosts and a dozen other patterns with very little luck.

The Muddler Idea is a great one, I dont know why but I never think of a muddler for some silly reason. I also like the zonker and deciever ideas. Im going to tie some up soon. Thanks guys, keep the ideas comin.

·
Registered
806 Posts
well i was going to suggest the little brook and the little brown patterns, but since it's in brackish water...........

actually i use to fish brackish water quite often when i was growing up in gold river.i'm not sure if it's the same idea as what your fishing but here is my advice.

the muddler should NEVER be forgotten.but with all the minnows i ever seen in the shallows medium brown to olive was the norm. i use to fish slink salmon in the mouth of the river.they were actually a secondary catch , because i was actually targeting sea run brookies. i had my most success on muddlers, warden worries, and now that i think back at it [i wasn't a very smart teenager at the time.lol]i should have tied up muddlers in olive as well as the traditional pattern.dace and stickle backs made up the majority of the minnows that i ever seen there. but don't forget about the rainbow smelt that migrate up as well!

if i were you i wouldn't be paying attention to ''patterns'' per say, as doing some research into the forage in your area. i use to go during low tide to the tidal pools and catch some minnows , examine them for their shape and color, then ''match the hatch''.tie flies to imitate those bait fish, and i suspect your success rate will be much better!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the tips, Im very familiar with this river and the main sources of food are pinfish, smelts, minnows, smaller brown trout, smaller brookies and a few more im sure.

It seems to me that as suggested muddler minnows tied in various colors and sizes should do the trick for me this year. I think ill start there and update when I get more info.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd bring several "little brook trout" & "little brown trout"
all different sizes. from a size 10 all the way to a size 2
and of course the mudlers.
I dont know if it is legal or not, check regs before hand.
but try some salmon patterns too.

good luck big guy

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im tying some muddlers up right now actually, and im going to tie up a few little brook/brown trout patterns too.
I think ill stay away from the salmon flies though because there are salmon in the same area at the same time so I dont want anyone to think im targeting them.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Im tying some muddlers up right now actually, and im going to tie up a few little brook/brown trout patterns too.
I think ill stay away from the salmon flies though because there are salmon in the same area at the same time so I dont want anyone to think im targeting them.
i only see success in your future!!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i only see success in your future!!!!
LOL Thanks bud, I got a waterproof camera for Christmas and with a little messing around I made myself a Hat-Cam. Im hoping to get some good videos this season if big Browns on the fly. Especially since I dont have to worry about dropping my camera in the water anymore lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use a brown muddler for browns in the Bras D'or, red squirrel tail for the tail and wing, gold tinsel body and a brown head. I also use sand shrimp patterns, the Bras D'or Creeper is a good one fished really slow.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also like the zonker and deciever ideas. Im going to tie some up soon. Thanks guys, keep the ideas comin.
Just remember that zonkers can get heavy when wet, so if you flub a cast, duck!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol This is true, had a buddy of mine pierce my ear with one (literally) last year chuckin pickerel flies

·
Registered
806 Posts
there is also a new pattern from the U.S. called a Zoo Cougar. Cool lookin fly that has taken big browns sice its creation. Good Luck BG. Just before dusk might increase your chances as well. I am still searching for that big brown as well..lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
there is also a new pattern from the U.S. called a Zoo Cougar. Cool lookin fly that has taken big browns sice its creation. Good Luck BG. Just before dusk might increase your chances as well. I am still searching for that big brown as well..lol
U took the words right out of my mouth. I have a few tied up...ill try to post a pick

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just took a look at some zoo cougar photos. Looks like another muddler variant. I'll have to give them a try.

While you're at it, check out some Dahlburgh Divers.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
well i was going to suggest the little brook and the little brown patterns, but since it's in brackish water...........

actually i use to fish brackish water quite often when i was growing up in gold river.i'm not sure if it's the same idea as what your fishing but here is my advice.

the muddler should NEVER be forgotten.but with all the minnows i ever seen in the shallows medium brown to olive was the norm. i use to fish slink salmon in the mouth of the river.they were actually a secondary catch , because i was actually targeting sea run brookies. i had my most success on muddlers, warden worries, and now that i think back at it [i wasn't a very smart teenager at the time.lol]i should have tied up muddlers in olive as well as the traditional pattern.dace and stickle backs made up the majority of the minnows that i ever seen there. but don't forget about the rainbow smelt that migrate up as well!

if i were you i wouldn't be paying attention to ''patterns'' per say, as doing some research into the forage in your area. i use to go during low tide to the tidal pools and catch some minnows , examine them for their shape and color, then ''match the hatch''.tie flies to imitate those bait fish, and i suspect your success rate will be much better!
great idea abt searching out what is there for fishy feed funny how we never think of that except for bugs and insects... well me anyway

1 - 20 of 32 Posts