Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used spinning reels for years, of various qualities, but level wind reels have held a strange fascination.

Maybe it's the gearing, the way the line guide moves back and forth, the star adjuster and drag mechanism - I don't know.

Granted - the spinning reel is simple and reliable, and probably the best choice for mucky Fundy shores. But why do we still see so many bait casting / level wind reels on the fishing shows, but not many on the beach?

Cost? Complexity? Over-runs? What kind of fishing are they best suited to? Would love to know.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Advantages of a baitcasting reel in general:

More accurate casting. You can use your thumb to feather the spool as the line goes out to slow down the lure in the midair and drop it right where you want. While this is not impossible with a spinning reel, it is much more difficult. Flipping and pitching are also much easier with a baitcasting reel, but a spinning reel does better for side casting into a tight spot when there is some above-water obstruction, such as hanging tree branches.

Gear design. Baitcasting reels are more suitable to engage in an epic battle against big fish.

One less step to casting. With a spinning reel you have to flip the bail open, hold the line with one your finger, and then cast. With a baitcasting reel, you just press a button to disengage the lock and fire off: no bail to open.

Handles heavy lines better, and also tends to generate less line twists.

Disadvantages:

Bird's nest. The learning curve is a bit stiffer on a baitcasting reel. It's not rocket science, but it does take some practice. You also have to adjust breaks every time you switch your lure to a different weight. Does not handle light lures well at all. Doesn't like light lines either. Casting against the wind can be tricky. Usually costs more than spinning reels. As with everything you get what you pay for, but with baitcasting reels it is more so than spinning reels, which means you need to cough up more coins for them if you want decent quality.

I use baitcasting reels most of the times as I don't like the hassle of spinning reels, but I still use spinning reels when conditions call for them: throwing really light lures; fishing with livebaits under a float; drop-shotting; and dead-sticking.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I suspect that the reason for the numbers of baitcasters on the TV shows is because a) they have been around longer than spinning gear,
a lot of the TV shows are US based with the "stars" from south of the Mason Dixon line,where a lot of them were born with a baitcaster in their hand, c) when mastered, they ARE more accurate than spinning gear. There are not as many folks up here who are prepared to spend the time and the effort to master the baitcaster/surfcaster. The selection in this part of the country of surfcasting gear is from slim to none (Special order with a downpayment) while large spinning reels and rods are readily available (Walmart and CTC). Regards...

·
457 Posts
picked a multiplier for the first time today
and ill tell you from my experience today the multiplier/level wind
for surf fishing was way more forgiving to learn then the baitcaster was
for me for fresh water fishing
seeing that i still aint got the hang of it

no birdnest and i think by about the 6th cast i was casting about 125 to 150yards

·
Registered
215 Posts
What sort of multiplier we're you using? Did it have a level-wind or was it the converted type? Also what strengh line were you using, 125yrds isn't a bad distance at all, well done. I haven't done any beachcasting for a couple of years as I don't have a rod, what rod were you using ( sorry for all the questions lol)

·
457 Posts
i was using a 12ft ron thompson zensorflex 4-8oz
with a jw scorpion zx6500 that **** brought down today
i think he has 15lb test with 60lb shock leader and a 6oz lead
i was pretty put off by the idea of a multiplier having only ever
cast with a fixed spool
but he finally talked me into it and that setup ended up coming home
with me

i know i had a few cast in the 150yd range.
when we were having fun with the casting comp i hit 125yd/paces
with the fixed spool which i know wasnt my best cast with the fixed spool
and i was getting even more distance with the multiplier

i can see ill be doing a lot of beach fishing this year
you should get in touch with **** n pick up a setup from him

im pretty sure there will damn near be a club of us by this summer

·
Registered
84 Posts
I need one of those 12 foot rods, I have been trying to sell my Abu Record 60 because I could not find a rod to go with it for Stripers. If I can get a rod another convert will join the fold and try and learn the art of casting with them. Not sure how to get in touch with **** an help in this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
**** is Derbyram on this site.

I experienced the baitcaster bird's nest yesterday, but the line on that reel had been on there for quite a while...lots of memory...it was like cutting a slinky off of my reel last night and now fresh line on it...ready to go for the next trip...I'm gunning for Shienar's 150 yard cast.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I need one of those 12 foot rods, I have been trying to sell my Abu Record 60 because I could not find a rod to go with it for Stripers. If I can get a rod another convert will join the fold and try and learn the art of casting with them. Not sure how to get in touch with **** an help in this would be appreciated.
Hard to find them here in NS, but you can always order on-line. Cabela's has a good selection of beach rods. With the loonie on steroid, it's a great time to buy from the states.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great to hear all the positive comments.Just to clear things up about Baitcaster/Level wind/multiplier type reels.
A baitcaster is generally a small,light reel with a built in levelwind to lay the line evenly across the spool and designed to cope with repetitive lure fishing.A multiplier reel is very similar design but built a lot stronger and has can either have a levelwind or not.The levelwind drastically reduces performance and distance.Without the levelwind great distances can be achieved(ask shiener when he tried my gear),but you have to lay the line yourself when winding in.In general the multiplier comes in three sizes,6000/7000 and above.For beaches a 6000 is mostly used,for fishing for bigger fish or roughground conditions from the shore,a 7000 is used,and above this is your boat reel.This is a very brief breakdown of multiplier types,it is a complex subject.
I,and I am sure shiener would be up for it as well,would love to show anyone who is interested,the tackle available,and let them have a go.You cannot do that in any tackle shop I know of.We guarantee you will want a UK set up after 6 casts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hard to find them here in NS, but you can always order on-line. Cabela's has a good selection of beach rods. With the loonie on steroid, it's a great time to buy from the states.
I agree,but you need to know what you are buying,What is the point in buying a cheap rod if it does not do what you want.

·
457 Posts
Great to hear all the positive comments.Just to clear things up about Baitcaster/Level wind/multiplier type reels.
A baitcaster is generally a small,light reel with a built in levelwind to lay the line evenly across the spool and designed to cope with repetitive lure fishing.A multiplier reel is very similar design but built a lot stronger and has can either have a levelwind or not.The levelwind drastically reduces performance and distance.Without the levelwind great distances can be achieved(ask shiener when he tried my gear),but you have to lay the line yourself when winding in.In general the multiplier comes in three sizes,6000/7000 and above.For beaches a 6000 is mostly used,for fishing for bigger fish or roughground conditions from the shore,a 7000 is used,and above this is your boat reel.This is a very brief breakdown of multiplier types,it is a complex subject.
I,and I am sure shiener would be up for it as well,would love to show anyone who is interested,the tackle available,and let them have a go.You cannot do that in any tackle shop I know of.We guarantee you will want a UK set up after 6 casts.
i sure would be up for it

i would be willing to guarantee you will want a UK set up after seeing some one else make 6 cast:p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have been having a think how I can help you.The reel ,from my own experience,will not be able to cope with the weights required to work the rods I have been showing people.BUT.I have a greys BZE light beach rod which I have been using with a 'baitcaster' reel(ABU 6600Mag)The combination was great using it for spinning,mackeralfeathers,and light beach casting.Your choices are,a new rod and reel in the 'starters'class for approx $100,or keep your good top quality reel and match it to a top quality rod that will handle anything ,from a single mackerel to a 30" striper,and give you good sport both times,for $160.

·
Registered
215 Posts
****, what rods do you have for sale? I had a Sonik SK3 and loved it, it was as good as any ZZiplex iv'e used and ALOT cheaper. I'll make sure I come to the next meet, need to get my casting fix again after 2 yrs. I was starting to get the hang of the pendulem style then but i'd better start off with some "off the ground " casts for a few haha.

·
Registered
98 Posts
****, what rods do you have for sale? I had a Sonik SK3 and loved it, it was as good as any ZZiplex iv'e used and ALOT cheaper. I'll make sure I come to the next meet, need to get my casting fix again after 2 yrs. I was starting to get the hang of the pendulem style then but i'd better start off with some "off the ground " casts for a few haha.
Paul
I have two SONIK SK3's ,a13' 4-6oz and a 14'5-7oz,I would be prepared to sell one ,it was brought last year and is as new,you know the prices they are going for.contact me.I also have some 5 and 6' tripods available that knock spots of Ian Golds.****

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have been having a think how I can help you.The reel ,from my own experience,will not be able to cope with the weights required to work the rods I have been showing people.BUT.I have a greys BZE light beach rod which I have been using with a 'baitcaster' reel(ABU 6600Mag)The combination was great using it for spinning,mackeralfeathers,and light beach casting.Your choices are,a new rod and reel in the 'starters'class for approx $100,or keep your good top quality reel and match it to a top quality rod that will handle anything ,from a single mackerel to a 30" striper,and give you good sport both times,for $160.
Thanks **** your analysis of my situation sounds spot on. Never considered the amount of lead required to load one of those rods. I think I will probably stick with my spinning type surf rods as I have 4 outfits and way too much money in them. I guess I will just leave the Abu up for sale. I real appreciate your time and advise and hope to see you on the beach some day firing one of those beach rods.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks **** your analysis of my situation sounds spot on. Never considered the amount of lead required to load one of those rods. I think I will probably stick with my spinning type surf rods as I have 4 outfits and way too much money in them. I guess I will just leave the Abu up for sale. I real appreciate your time and advise and hope to see you on the beach some day firing one of those beach rods.
I always carry spare rods/reels with me
at any session I go to,Anyone will be able to have a go if they bump into me on a beach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts