Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

Looks like I might be coming your way Late July to visit some family over there. I'm coming from the Toronto Area, I usually fish for Walleye, Pike, Bass, Panfish, Steelhead/Salmon over here and while over there I'm looking to get into whatever is swimming at that time…. I'll be staying around the Sackville/Bedford area and I'm looking to fish the river, or pound the ocean shore over there.... Here are my questions to you;

1. Anything running up the river there at that time?
2. Where are some access points to the ocean?
3. What kind of gear do I need to bring - buy??
4. Any special rigs or lures I need to know of for pier casting/river fishing?

I have a lot more questions, but lets start with those….

I will also probably seek a charter to go out on the big water, so any references on a good charter out there, please let me know!!!

Everyone's input is greatly appreciated - I can't wait until July!!!!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
well late july should be good for some mackerel moveing in and out of the harbour with the tide. I usually find the riseing and falling of the tide seems to be best fishing, also polock can be caught off of the peer in bedford. I usually just go into canadian tire or fishing fever and pick up a few mackerel jigs and a string of feathers, but any kind of shinny spoon or lure will work great if the fish are there they will take, just may take some time for the school to move in. also fishin the sackville river is probably not the best place to find any fishing action the river does have a salmon run that time of year but the river is highly regulated and frustrateing to fish. if you wanted to get ahold of me and im sure others on the site would be willing to have some company on an afternoon of fishing in many of the other lakes and rivers that offer great bass pickerel trout fishing

·
Registered
546 Posts
Same goes for me. I will be fishing bass, pickerel and perch in the lakes, mackerel off a beach or dock and striped bass off the Minas Basin. Send me a note a week or so before you arrive and I would be happy to take you out if my schedule is clear either on a canoe for lake fishing or surf casting.

Cheers,

James

·
Registered
575 Posts
Same goes for me. I will be fishing bass, pickerel and perch in the lakes, mackerel off a beach or dock and striped bass off the Minas Basin. Send me a note a week or so before you arrive and I would be happy to take you out if my schedule is clear either on a canoe for lake fishing or surf casting.

Cheers,

James
Hey does this offer stand for me as well? LOL

Also Chancho, check out This website for a good shark charter if that's what you're looking for

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys ROCK!!!! I will definitely email you guys once we get closer to July find out how's the fishn' going at that time….
I've only ever fished freshwater, and definitely want to spend my fishing days pounding the sea.
Gear wise I've got saltwater ready gear, and as for fishing for Salmon, do you guys have to use fly gear?? Out here we use a centerpin reel for river salmon and steelhead - Would I be able to use that?

Keep the words of wisdom coming!!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Howdy Hi,

First of all, Billy you are ALWAYS welcome to fish with me. This year you will hook into 5 large mackerel at the same time and we will BBQ a couple of them less than 2 hours later. You will catch at least 5 pikkies over 16 inches on the same day. You will catch at least 1 small mouth bass over 19 inches. We will hook into some rather decent sized trout early in the spring as well as pull in several really sweet shad on the 9 mile. We will save some of those spring run macks and use them to land some beautiful stripers on the Basin. I will land one over 32 inches on the fly and release it while half a dozen anglers look on and think I am out of my mind for letting it go. You will catch the striper of your life, it may actually pull you off your feet as you are trying to land it. It will be up to you what you decide to do once landed. Sound fun?

Chancho, if you fish salmon, I am not your man. I have fly fished and landed them in the past but I have a really really bad feeling about their long term prospects so I avoid the water they swim in. Perhaps someone can change my mind but for now, you had best look elsewhere. All other species are a go though.

Happy trails and we can hit the water soon.

Cheers,

James

·
Registered
575 Posts
Howdy Hi,

First of all, Billy you are ALWAYS welcome to fish with me. This year you will hook into 5 large mackerel at the same time and we will BBQ a couple of them less than 2 hours later. You will catch at least 5 pikkies over 16 inches on the same day. You will catch at least 1 small mouth bass over 19 inches. We will hook into some rather decent sized trout early in the spring as well as pull in several really sweet shad on the 9 mile. We will save some of those spring run macks and use them to land some beautiful stripers on the Basin. I will land one over 32 inches on the fly and release it while half a dozen anglers look on and think I am out of my mind for letting it go. You will catch the striper of your life, it may actually pull you off your feet as you are trying to land it. It will be up to you what you decide to do once landed. Sound fun?

Chancho, if you fish salmon, I am not your man. I have fly fished and landed them in the past but I have a really really bad feeling about their long term prospects so I avoid the water they swim in. Perhaps someone can change my mind but for now, you had best look elsewhere. All other species are a go though.

Happy trails and we can hit the water soon.

Cheers,

James
Sound fun? Sounds like heaven! I can't wait, I probably wont have a fly rod until after this season but I'll still have a blast with all of that. Let's hope at least one of those predictions are correct. Hopefully I have better luck in the spring than I did on the hardwater lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts