Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all!
I will be staying in the bridgewater area for the long weekend.
I was just wondering if there are any salon or sea trout running up the Lahave and Gold river.
Just wondering if any anglers with experience on these river could give me a little advice.
thanks dave
Are you even allowed to fish for salmon on the lahave any more

·
Registered
423 Posts
No salmon season on either river, but you can still fly fish for other species. As for sea trout there were some running a couple weeks ago and maybe the water we are getting to today will freshen things up again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for the info. I have no experience at all with those rivers!
So if I were to fish the gold river... would it be better to fish down stream from the 103 highway, or up stream??
are there many good pools on this river?

·
Registered
423 Posts
thank you very much for the info. I have no experience at all with those rivers!
So if I were to fish the gold river... would it be better to fish down stream from the 103 highway, or up stream??
are there many good pools on this river?
I have no experience with the Gold at all. But I know there is a nice pool above the 103 bridge but I was told you have to walk to it. As for trout in the LaHave I would suggest the pools on the north branch. There is a good stretch of water below Fiendel's bridge in Union Square with several nice pools during the first kilometer or so. Watch out for a pool with a large ledge running along the edge of it (It is called the slippery ledges for a reason) as a fisherman drowned there several years back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Both rivers are CLOSED to salmon fishing. Please read the reg's.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Both rivers are CLOSED to salmon fishing. Please read the reg's.
Closed for targeting salmon yes, open for all other species, yes, fly fishing only in the scheduled portions of the rivers with normal regulations for non-scheduled portions.

And Leaper, from the site reg's.

(No All Caps - This is seen as rude. Please don't do it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you very much again!
I just bought a salmon license today so I have the regulations now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry about the all caps. Asking if salmon is open on the Gold hits a soft spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no need to apoligize, i am new to the area!
so could u tell me a little about the history of the gold river... was it a good or great salmon river in the past?

·
1,353 Posts
i love eatting bass from any salmon river
I suppose one could say the same about brown trout. They are both non-native and invasive. Just saying!
NS Boy, the Gold River has a soft spot for me as well as I spend a lot of time fishing salmon on it years ago. The lower pools Big and little Cumberland, the Cable pool produced some fine salmon. My fav. pool was the Salmon Hole in New Ross many great days were spent there. It is unfortunate that the runs collasped and very few salmon go up the Gold now. It is a beautiful river and certainly worth fishing for trout but as Leaper said not to target salmon would be benifical to the river and remaining salmon. Good luck!

·
1,353 Posts
Bugman true! You were not far from New Ross Salmon pool. Above Devils Elbow is the Falls, then the "S" flat and then the Salmon Hole. I went there as the access for me was the road by the Highwayman Restuant just outside of New Ross and closer than the bottom streaches. Last time I fished it was at tidal by the old railway bridge and that bridges abuttments is worth seeing, fish or no fish. I have caught salmon as high as Harris Lake.

·
1,353 Posts
were did the pic go. could you remove my post if the pic is not going to be with it.
Done! Now do me a favour and read the site rules regarding posting images of dead fish.

·
1,353 Posts
Your welcome. I guess I'm not a salmon guy whatever that is! Lol The intended humor doesn't matter site rules do. I left your text part because it didn't break rules your image did.I would do the same if it was dead salmon.
This thread has gone off the rails and i suggest if anyone wants to continue this discussion start a new Topic.
NS Boy I hope you got the info you wanted. Good luck!

·
1,353 Posts
Oh man does that take me back!! The first pool is falls above the salmon hole and I could never buy a salmon there but you could watch them jump the falls. The second image is the salmon hole and I have a painting of it somewheres. The water is low but the two rocks out of the water in front of the big rock on the right hand side was a sweet spot. On the left side there is a ledge and extends out of the water. One day fishing there I hooked a salmon and landed it. I held it up for my partner to see then walked up the ledge to dispatch it. It flipped out of my grip and landed on the ledge. It flipped again and I lunged for itand it flipped again. This was repeated until it got to the water and swam away. I looked up and my partner was tieing on a fly and never noticed. I then caught another and when we went to leave I only had one fish and he said " Wheres the other one?" I told him it got away. It was then and still is good for a laught!
It should have trout. Did you flick a fly?
Thanks bugman made my evening!

·
1,353 Posts
That looks like a wonderful afternoon and evening. I suspect the puppy wasn't the only tired dog after that hike. Salmon parr! Must have been a few salmon around. The salmon hole was a major holding pool on the upper strech of the river. It was known to poachers as well. The adventure continues!

·
1,353 Posts
I was told there were no pools in that strech so never went there. Who knows?

·
1,353 Posts

This ones for you Tim. I found this oil painting I did on the Salmon Hole in 1974. Hope you enjoy! I believe this was the last oil I did, I started watercolours shortly after.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts