Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there all , just wondering if anyone has a kevlar/ composite canoe or know some with one ? I have a royalite novacraft now but an=m thinking about something even lighter or portaging longer distances? Any input would be great!

·
1,353 Posts
I have a kevlar 16ft squareback with a cut in the bow, Light as a feather unstable as hell!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen that solo wenonah hanging on the wall , pros-super deal on it , super light ,cons-really narrow, no yoke. Im kinda looking for something in the 15 foot range , that can be solo'd or tandem. Ive been looking at the nova craft bob special in kevlar ,beautiful carrying yoke , just so expensive , but would probably be a twenty year boat . I really dont know much about kevlar other than its really light . The sportsman show is up next weekend , hoping to find a few models there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perry , how would you rate the durablitity of kevlar , I had fiberglass years ago that was really stiff but no so durable , now a royalite that is indestructable, ( actually fell of truck on the 103 smashed the ash gunnels , and barely marked the boat , thus the previous message about ash ), but around 65 pounds is more than i need to portage seeing as 90 % of the time its just me . I thought kevlar would be a good medium

·
1,353 Posts
It seems to be fine as far as durablity goes. It got wacked by a brush saw across the bow and I cannot find a repair kit yet! If it was glass I could get a repair easy, That said Kevlar doesn't like a brush saw!

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
1,353 Posts
Thanks bakerthree, I'll give them a try!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have owned several different types of canoes over the years,, i had Wenonah Kelvar that was pretty easy to portage but pretty well sucked at everything else.. to light in the wind when solo paddled and they are big $$$$$ new.. Unless you are portaging thru bush I would get a plastic boat and buy a good quality folding cart..is you just want a fishing fishing boat look for a older style used coleman 15 ft - weighs 72 lbs , not light but its a great cheap all round canoe,, now some of the pure canoest will cringe at this boat but if you want a solid fishing boat these are great.. I still think you should have gotten the Kayak,,LOL.. I am hooked on the Yak now and will never go back to the canoe. JMHO

·
1,353 Posts
My experiance witha kevlar Wenonah as well!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys for all the input , might just have to stick with my royalite prospector and deal with the few extra pounds, reason i use a canoe instaed of yak is i like taking my lab and find it much easier to get into when on a shore with thicket and water to deep to step in . Kevlar is definitly extremly expensive , but really so is anything that is nice and new.lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dad has a Nova Craft Prospector in Kevlar. He likes it, but keep in mind it is a down river canoe so it will not track or be as stable as some other models. Hull design not material will have the greatest impact on initial stability and tracking. Kevlar is realitively strong which allows builders to use a thinner layup. Which makes them lighter but also makes them flex more, this seems to be a bit of a problem on the Nova Craft. The gel coat is not as flexable as the kevlar so it tends to spider crack at the points where the hull flexes. This is a cosmetic issue and does not seem to impact the strength of the hull. There is no comparison as far as which is tougher, a royalex will take more punishment than a fiberglass or a kevlar. The fiberglass would be next and the kevlar would take the least. I still like fiberglass for working canoe. My 14' 9" fiberglass is only about 15 lbs heavier than Dads 15' kevlar so I will put up with a few extra pounds knowing that I can do a repair quickly and easily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey there all , just wondering if anyone has a kevlar/ composite canoe or know some with one ? I have a royalite novacraft now but an=m thinking about something even lighter or portaging longer distances? Any input would be great!
I have a 14-1/2 foot at about 40 lbs. I'm about to sell.....not new by any means been on a lot of wilderness adventures and still very serviceable but not pretty...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts